The tow truck for sending the X to the car crusher didn’t show up…

The tow truck for sending the X to the car crusher didn’t show up…

October 26th, 2008, 1:50 am #1

So I thought I would try bleeding the new clutch hydraulic system one more time. In my third week trying to get the clutch slave cylinder bled. Yes, I have read every thread - and there are a lot of them- about the @#%ing clutch slave cylinder.

Before I call l the car crusher again: (1) Is there any reason why new banjo bolt crush washers will not seal? New crush washers, lots of torque, little torque, etc etc. and it literally drips when not even pressurized. Until that problem is resolved, I don’t think bleeding is going to do a lot of good. The old, rusty slave cylinder didn’t leak a tad. (2) Should I remove the Commodora Daytonas before it goes to the crusher?

All this talk of folks replacing their hydraulics lately and doing it in a few hours has really started to get me worked up.

LarryC, Albuquerque, New Mexico

rossofozini
rossofozini

October 26th, 2008, 1:58 am #2

When it comes to bleeding just take your time. When I did the cluch I would say I used a at least 1 1/2 times the amount of the reservoir. Not sure about the other problem.

rossofozini
rossofozini

October 26th, 2008, 2:11 am #3

Our cars are related

Vasilis in NY
Vasilis in NY

October 26th, 2008, 2:27 am #4

So I thought I would try bleeding the new clutch hydraulic system one more time. In my third week trying to get the clutch slave cylinder bled. Yes, I have read every thread - and there are a lot of them- about the @#%ing clutch slave cylinder.

Before I call l the car crusher again: (1) Is there any reason why new banjo bolt crush washers will not seal? New crush washers, lots of torque, little torque, etc etc. and it literally drips when not even pressurized. Until that problem is resolved, I don’t think bleeding is going to do a lot of good. The old, rusty slave cylinder didn’t leak a tad. (2) Should I remove the Commodora Daytonas before it goes to the crusher?

All this talk of folks replacing their hydraulics lately and doing it in a few hours has really started to get me worked up.

....don't loose faith! It takes a while but it'll be worth it, right?

if not then sell the Daytonas to me!

October 26th, 2008, 2:29 am #5

would be an awful waste to crush it. sell it or just back off for a few days and give it another shot. that always works for me.new washers and it wont seal, thats a new one for me. id asume the hose end and slave cylinder are clean, come to think of it, when i installed aftermarket hoses on my front brakes, i had to double up the washers due to the fitting being thinner. that should solve your problem.

reyy
longtime fiat freak
74 x1/9
san dimas, ca
USA

Tommy
Tommy

October 26th, 2008, 3:35 am #6

Actually, I am in kind of a mood for taking a solo road trip in the X that I could get to within a days drive. Ever made the drive from PHX to Alb? How long is it? I got some spare parts you might could use...

I am having my dog eutahnized on Monday, so I could really stand to get away for a few days...

Tommy

Tommy
Tommy

October 26th, 2008, 3:37 am #7

I am just pretty bummed about my dog...

October 26th, 2008, 4:25 am #8

Assume the new slave is just a poorly made POS.

Get another one.

October 26th, 2008, 4:52 am #9

I am just pretty bummed about my dog...
Tommy, there is nothing any of us can say to make you feel better right now.
But keep in mind that the only thing sadder than losing our friends would be to have never shared our lives with them at all.

I lost Paisley in 2001 and Sam in 2003 after less than a year. Lady arrived in 2003 aged 9 years and she likely won't see another Summer. But I wouldn't trade away a day with any of them. Hang in there, Tommy.

Charles

Mike Richmond
Mike Richmond

October 26th, 2008, 5:41 am #10

I had a terrible time getting mine bled. I ended up replacing it and still had the same problem.

I think what finally worked for me was disconnecting the slave from its mount, and allowing the piston to come out more than it normally would. This gives more room in the cylinder. Then I opened the bleed screw and pushed the piston in, then closed the screw.

MikeR