Tall man's fuel cell

Tall man's fuel cell

October 23rd, 2008, 11:30 pm #1

Hi all,
I'm just beginning a resto on my 1st x. I'm 6'3 and have a difficult time driving my old man's 74. His suggestion was to fabricate new (and very low profile) seats, but I'm pretty sure I'm going to relocate the rear cabin wall 3-4 inches rearward and run a fuel cell in the (front) boot.

Any thoughts?

Also, will post pics soon

October 24th, 2008, 12:08 am #2

I beleive that in 1983 when Bertone took over the X that they made some changes to the seats or seat rails to accomodate taller folk. I do not know what those changes were though. Getting a smaller than stock steering wheel helps too.

Bill D
Bill D

October 24th, 2008, 4:03 am #3

Hi all,
I'm just beginning a resto on my 1st x. I'm 6'3 and have a difficult time driving my old man's 74. His suggestion was to fabricate new (and very low profile) seats, but I'm pretty sure I'm going to relocate the rear cabin wall 3-4 inches rearward and run a fuel cell in the (front) boot.

Any thoughts?

If you take out the stock fuel tank you will get your 4’’ but my concern is you will lose peripheral vision ( mining when you are driving and look to the left you will be looking at the inside of the sail panel not good if you want to drive safe) .Did you think about lowering the floor pan under the seat or make a new seat bottom I met a 6’3” Miata owner that did it his wife is 5’9’ and just adds more cushion when she drives the car. Tim has a grate idea get like a 300mm flat bottom I made my own adapter by using the stock wheel.
Well if your going to take out the fuel tank and cut back 4” maybe do it to a junk car first and see how you like it first .I’m still fixing stuff I did and don’t like how it came out trust me do the junk car first.
Did you take out the seat and sit on the floor just to see what it would be like?

jake
jake

October 24th, 2008, 7:51 am #4

Hi all,

Any thoughts?

taking out the seat and check if you sit all the way back or if just lowering the seat/floor will do the trick. If you are going to be on a track, then you will most likely not fit with a helmet without getting yourself lower. Also take in account the seatbelt positions if not planning to use a harness. I know on late models the retractor is behind the seat somewhat and mounted to a pretty sturdy point. Someone may know if there is any structual parts that may hinder moving back into the fuel tank area. You will most likely be resting your head aginst the rear window if you are able to move the seat back more also. X seats are remarkably thin as it is. you may want to try getting another stock seat and modifing the seat foam to sit lower and back more. I found most thin racing seats are pretty close to stock x seats for the height you sit at. I'm sure others can confirm this. It will all depend on if you have long legs or torso. Lowering can remove the steering wheel conflict and you can also change the angle of the steering column to help some. There was a writeup a wile back, should be able to search archives.

October 24th, 2008, 10:33 am #5

Hi all,

Any thoughts?

I am not quite as tall as you, but at 6'1 I still have a few issues.

Like has already been suggested, put in a smaller steering wheel, mine is 330mm diameter.

The other thing I discovered is that even with the seat belt mechanism behind the seat there was still a bit of room. In about 10 seconds with an angle grinder you can cut another notch in the seat rail. This made the biggest difference for me.

Another thing to check, is the floor the right shape? Mine had been pushed in a bit, fixing that helped too.

I have been driving the car like this for quite a while now, but I still need a bit more room.

I will be fitting one of these soon:
http://www.racing-seats-usa.com/853l2.html

carl
carl

October 24th, 2008, 1:25 pm #6

Be careful about putting one piece, bolstered race seats in a street car. I put some Sparco Sprints in my X for track days and it's very hard to climb in an out of race seats due to the high side bosters. With the top on it will be like climbing into your car through the window with the door shut!

Carl in Virginia

Paul Stoltze
Paul Stoltze

October 24th, 2008, 2:22 pm #7

Hi all,

Any thoughts?

If you move the seat backwards 4", you are likely to need to also move the steering wheel back 4". An extension to the steering column is not too hard to make, but the plastic pieces would not fit. I expect it would look pretty ugly.

I agree that lowering the seat is a good option. Steve Hoelscher is a big guy and he simply cut the metal pan off the bottom of his seat so that he can sit essentially at floor level.

Paul

Eric Hamilton (Durham NC)
Eric Hamilton (Durham NC)

October 24th, 2008, 3:11 pm #8

Hi all,

Any thoughts?

here

October 24th, 2008, 4:06 pm #9

Hi all,

Any thoughts?

Hi Glen. I too am 6'3" and have been driving X1/9s since 1977 so I have a lot of experience with trying to fit in the cars.

First, I would advise against moving the rear cabin bulkhead rearwards. That is a major chassis structure and moving it will require major surgury and may compromise the structural integrity of the chassis. Another issue is that moving the seat that far back will have your head right under the targa bar and you may find it pressing against the top of your head. This isn't a good idea as it could result in a spinal cord injury should you hit a major bump.

You mentioned your "old man's '74", is that the car? 74s (I own one) are the best for tall me. They have the tinnest seats and a smaller dash/console. The 1500 cars are the worst as they have the thickest seats and the widest dash and console.

As noted already, there are a number of easy tricks. A smaller diameter steering wheel, modifying the seat tracks to move the seat further back, changing the angle of the steering column, etc... are all productive. I have found that the seat is the most important thing to fitting in the car. Instead of moving the seat back make the seat thinner.

I cut down the thickness of the bottom seat cushion and modified the bottome seat frame so it was right on the floor. I had to cut away the return spring mounting bracket that is welded to the floor for clearance. I also cut some of the foam out of the seat wings to make the back thinner. These really helped free up some room.

In my racecar, I modified an aftermarket race seat by cutting the bottom of the seat out so I could sit directly on the floor. The seat back is only about 3/8th of an inch thick including upholstry so it afforded lots of room and was actually quite comfortable.

Steve
1x5

October 24th, 2008, 5:15 pm #10

Steve said:

"In my racecar, I modified an aftermarket race seat by cutting the bottom of the seat out so I could sit directly on the floor."

That is interesting. I was kicking around making the floor lower, but that might prove an easy one to try first.

Thanks for the idea on this.

Eric Armstrong.