Steve H, you okay? Saw Fay hitting St. A pretty bad.

Steve H, you okay? Saw Fay hitting St. A pretty bad.

Peter in GA
Peter in GA

August 21st, 2008, 10:46 pm #1

Hope all is well with you down there.

August 22nd, 2008, 3:25 am #2

Well, its been pretty wild here. Fay has been sitting just off the beach about 15 miles north of Daytona (about 30 miles south of Saint Augustine) for the last 24 hours. Since I am on the north side of the eye we have been getting pounded by the on shore wind and rain. The problem is the storm really isn't moving much. It just sits there and turns. We've been getting pounded now for about 30 hours.

I live right across the street from the intercoastal waterway just south of the the city. Its about a half mile across the ICW to Anistasia Island, which itself is only about a half mile wide. So I am about a mile from the beach.

So far only minor damage. It blew my back yard fence down and I have some water damage to the ceiling in my office where the rain was blowing in under the eves, through the vents and onto the ceiling causing a small section of the sheet rock to fall.

We lost power for a while early this morning and I loaded up my racecar and headed inland late yesterday afternoon just in case the house flooded. I am only 4 feet above high tide.

The storm should move slowly west and clear here by tomorrow afternoon.

Current storm track:

Steve
1x5
Last edited by Stevehh on August 22nd, 2008, 3:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

htf

August 22nd, 2008, 5:24 am #3

Anything else we can do ?

HaXD
Herzel, in Israel

WhiteX
The late Green '85 X1/9

August 22nd, 2008, 6:38 am #4

Hope all is well with you down there.
I've seen storm precip totals over 30" down there! Unprecedented. As a weather man I know the damage that just a couple of inches causes. Stay safe.
-Brody

August 22nd, 2008, 5:05 pm #5

Well, its been pretty wild here. Fay has been sitting just off the beach about 15 miles north of Daytona (about 30 miles south of Saint Augustine) for the last 24 hours. Since I am on the north side of the eye we have been getting pounded by the on shore wind and rain. The problem is the storm really isn't moving much. It just sits there and turns. We've been getting pounded now for about 30 hours.

I live right across the street from the intercoastal waterway just south of the the city. Its about a half mile across the ICW to Anistasia Island, which itself is only about a half mile wide. So I am about a mile from the beach.

So far only minor damage. It blew my back yard fence down and I have some water damage to the ceiling in my office where the rain was blowing in under the eves, through the vents and onto the ceiling causing a small section of the sheet rock to fall.

We lost power for a while early this morning and I loaded up my racecar and headed inland late yesterday afternoon just in case the house flooded. I am only 4 feet above high tide.

The storm should move slowly west and clear here by tomorrow afternoon.

Current storm track:

Steve
1x5
Hopefully, you won't take any more damage.

I notice you saved the race car. Did you remember to pack Terrie up too?

jd

Code: Select all

1978                1986  \
[/b]
2005 FFO Photo Gallery

August 22nd, 2008, 5:34 pm #6

<< I notice you saved the race car. Did you remember to pack Terrie up too? >>

HA!!! Well, fortunately I didn't have to. Terrie lives in Kingsland/Saint Marys, Georgia. That's about 80 miles north of Saint Augustine and right at the mouth of the Saint Mary's River. That's where beautiful Cumberland Island is located (where JFK Jr. got married). Kingsland/St. Marys got a lot of wind and rain from the outter bands of the storm but conditions never got very bad. We were on the phone alot. I had considered going up there to wait out the storm but decided I should stay here to save cars and equipment if the water got too high.

Conditions today have actually worsened. We lost power early this morning again and it was out until about 1pm. A lot more rain and heavy wind has caused more flooding. The streets here are flooded as is part of my yard. However, the rain is finally slacking off and the wind is down some in the last hour. It looks like the worst has passed and things will improve steadily from here.

If you were watching the weather channel this morning they were reporting live from St. Augustine Beach. That is about a mile east of my home.

Thanks everybody for your concerns and well wishes. It has been much appreciated.

Steve
1x5

August 22nd, 2008, 8:21 pm #7

Might be a good idea down there on the coast Steve. You can get a decent whole house unit that runs on natural gas for around $3500. I know that isn't exactly cheap, but given your environment it is just another form of "insurance".

jd

Code: Select all

1978                1986  \
[/b]
2005 FFO Photo Gallery

August 23rd, 2008, 1:18 am #8

You must have enough extra X1/9 engines laying around, so here's your homework, due before the next big storm:

1. FIAT-powered self-built generator (1500 w/2 webers for maximum watts)

2. FIAT-powered water pump (1300cc motor suitable)
Last edited by FlyerFanDan on August 23rd, 2008, 1:45 am, edited 1 time in total.