So how much does an X engine weigh?

So how much does an X engine weigh?

April 5th, 2008, 4:16 pm #1

Does anyone know the weight of the 138 series 1497 cc X motor?

I am curious regarding all of the recent engine swap threads as to what the effect of weight will be on the new weight distribution of the modded car. For example a bare Suzuki 1300 TC G13B all aluminum (block, head, oil pan) motor is in the 130lb range and puts out 100 hp stock and can be easily tweaked into the 130 hp range without huge work. The engines characteristics in terms of revving and so on are very "Fiatish". The transmission has very similar ratios and would seem to be a good match.

To me it seems like one would want to reduce the amount of mass to improve acceleration and at the same time improve weight distribution for better handling.

So, if we can understand where we are starting from, with the 128 and 138 series motors and transmissions, we can then evaluate alternative engine solutions for their total effect, not just the HP/torque increases they offer. The X is a balance car, all of the various elements create the balance we enjoy, changing an element changes that balance. Hopefully for the better.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Karl
Last edited by kmead on April 5th, 2008, 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

htf

April 5th, 2008, 8:13 pm #2

HaXD
Herzel, in Israel

WhiteX
The late Green '85 X1/9

Wayne Wright, Chehalis, WA, USA
Wayne Wright, Chehalis, WA, USA

April 6th, 2008, 5:22 pm #3

Does anyone know the weight of the 138 series 1497 cc X motor?

I am curious regarding all of the recent engine swap threads as to what the effect of weight will be on the new weight distribution of the modded car. For example a bare Suzuki 1300 TC G13B all aluminum (block, head, oil pan) motor is in the 130lb range and puts out 100 hp stock and can be easily tweaked into the 130 hp range without huge work. The engines characteristics in terms of revving and so on are very "Fiatish". The transmission has very similar ratios and would seem to be a good match.

To me it seems like one would want to reduce the amount of mass to improve acceleration and at the same time improve weight distribution for better handling.

So, if we can understand where we are starting from, with the 128 and 138 series motors and transmissions, we can then evaluate alternative engine solutions for their total effect, not just the HP/torque increases they offer. The X is a balance car, all of the various elements create the balance we enjoy, changing an element changes that balance. Hopefully for the better.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Karl
I was thinking of the same thing. Did a lot of research on the Suzuky motors. Finding a 'LIGHT' 4-cylinder motor/trans that would fit into the 'X' would be a nice improvement. Find something shorter than the Fiat motor so there would be more room. However, I thinh the Syzuki transaxles places the motor further forward than the X19, so you may need to do some cutting to the firewall.

I was toying with the idea of pulling my V6 out and opting for a more modern solution.

Wayne

Geoff from Aus
Geoff from Aus

April 7th, 2008, 4:19 am #4

...why not put a 4AGE 20V blacktop in it? Revs to 8,000rpm. Plenty of torque. Plenty of 'go-fast' bits, plenty of gearbox spares, nice and light, cheap as chips (well they are here in Aus anyway - $1500 should get you a motor, gearbox, ecu and sensors).

Thoughts?

April 7th, 2008, 11:17 am #5

I've looked at that, they are much more rare here, a least the 5 valve version. In my case I was interested in something that might be smaller as well as lighter. Reducing the weight back there seems it would a worthwhile pursuit. The G13B can produce plenty of power with ease and would start out with considerably more power than the 138 series motor. It is also good looking motor which would add to the engine bay.

Which does of course beg the question, why not just mod the existing motor. It fits, it is a fine motor and would maintain the existing balance of the car, weight wise.

One of the things I like about the G13B is that I could keep the emissions systems and get good fuel economy. The car it comes from is about the same weight as an X and has more frontal area so my economy would likely remain the same as what the Fiat motor can deliver (in the 30s which has always been a great part of owning this car). In any case, keep the commentary coming.

Geoff from Aus
Geoff from Aus

April 9th, 2008, 4:37 am #6

Spoil was probably too strong a word to use in that context. Good luck with the swap over!
Geoff