Reverse problem

Reverse problem

Kostas (Greece)
Kostas (Greece)

June 22nd, 2008, 3:46 pm #1

Before a year i bought a 5speed transmission in order to put it in the car when i will finish my restoration. Some time in the past i opened it to see the condition and the only think that i saw was a bad 3rd sleeve which i changed with the synchronizers.
Today i put the transmission in the car and everything worked ok except from the reverse. When you put the reverse you feel the movement on the gear selector but the car acts like to be in neutral.
After a lot of effort to find a solution without results i decide to remove again the transmission to open it to find the problem.
What i found is that in order to engage the reverse the selector rod has to be in a position that the detent ball is between the slots of the neutral position and the reverse position. When you put the selector rod in a way that detent ball locks in the reverse slot then the reverse gear goes to hi to engage.
I don’t know if the reverse was okay and the problem started when i opened the case in the first time for the inspection because i haven't check it before i open it.
Is it a way to find a solution to this problem?

June 23rd, 2008, 1:25 am #2

What did you use to keep the parts in correct order for re-assembling?

The reason I ask is because when the 5 speed came out, I had one of the first versions and in the first year I tore down the transmission myself. I used the 4 speed manual exploded picture diagram and found when I had the box back together I had problems with 3rd and reverse.

My memory has faded since this occured in 1980, but as I remember one of the sleeves or reverse/1st/2nd sleeve is backwards in the 5 speed as compared to the 4 speed box. Hence the reason for the detent not lining up for reverse.

TonyK Grimsby Ont Canada.

Kostas (Greece)
Kostas (Greece)

June 23rd, 2008, 7:19 am #3

When I reassembling the transmission I had as a guide the Haynes manual picture because it was more convenient than Steve 5speed 101 explanations. Never passed from my mind that the 4speed transmission will have a different lay out at this point.
After your remark I read again with more attention the 5speed 101 assembling and I notice that the 1st -2nd sleeve goes the other way in 5speed transmission.