Recent interviews with Fiat Group brass

Recent interviews with Fiat Group brass

Mac
Mac

March 4th, 2005, 3:57 am #1

Courtesy of Italiaspeed.com...

http://www.italiaspeed.com/2005/motor_s ... /0203.html

The downside (for us as far as the "X 1/99" goes) is all the talk about drastic cost cutting

The upside is that some of the very same people who are supportive of the idea of the X 1/99 or something like it are some of the same people featured in the article

There's no telling what may happen next, all we can do is keep telling them what WE think, and see what happens!

Peace, -Mac

March 4th, 2005, 4:54 am #2

I see from this article that Fiat are now talking to Daimler Chrysler - who are keen to reduce the losses on their Smart brand. A question then - Is the Smart platform something that could be the basis of a modern X? Being a 100% pure imbecile it matters mechanical I will leave it to you fine people - the experts - to ponder the Smart Brand.

poppa X

March 4th, 2005, 5:19 am #3

yes! that's an idea i didn't put together first up.

the "Smart Roadster", with a nice wedge-shape body... the options just go on from there...

Mac
Mac

March 4th, 2005, 5:43 am #4

Looking over the Smart web site, the only one they have that is "mid engine rear wheel drive" is the "Roadster"

It seems way too small / weak for an X1/9 evolution...

X1/99 is 4060mm long, Smart is 3427mm

X1/99 is 1790mm wide, Smart is 1615mm

X1/99 is 1293mm tall, Smart is 1192mm

X1/99 (199) wheelbase is 2460mm, Smart is 2360mm

Smart weight (without driver/load) in kg 832

Smart MAXIMUM allowable total weight in kg 1,030

Now, the body figures are largely irrelevant, I just included them for comparison. My MAIN concern is the weight figures - the Smart is such a tiny car that its platform seems would be TOO frail for this. Could such a chassis even handle an X1/99-like body, a hot Fiat 4 cylinder engine and 2 passengers without buckling under its own weight?

It sounds like the Smart would be a great idea if we were all Fiat 850 enthusiasts! For the X1/99, I'd think that platform would require significant bulking up, some widening, basically so many mods I don't know whether it would be "smarter" to literally go from scratch - I am just a layman when it comes to manufacturing cars but it just seems too small...

Peace, -Mac
Last edited by seattlex19 on March 4th, 2005, 5:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

March 4th, 2005, 5:47 am #5

i'm talking about an X1/9... NOT X1/99.

i don't mind the car being shorter front-to-back, it can be widened relatively easily, i just think it's begging for a nice looking body.

Mac
Mac

March 4th, 2005, 5:59 am #6

... just that the FRAME of the Smart CHASSIS being designed for such a tiny lightweight of a car with a 3 cylinder engine and so on, I don't know if using that chassis would introduce limitations that would turn our "hot" tire smoking "new X1/9" (whether it be the "99" or ANY evolution) into less of a sports car and more of a wind-up toy.

If Fiat is going to build ANY new X it had better be a HOT son of a gun! I just don't know whether the Smart platform is too flimsy to live up to what we would want a New X to be. Yes the engine is in the right place, but if it's built that light could it even take the kind of powertrain we would demand? Or would we be by limitation of the chassis end up getting a "scorching 600cc with power uphill start assist"?? (homey don't think so!!)

If there were some feasable way to strengthen and widen it to the point that it could really perform on a level EQUAL to the original X handling-wise, and then could stand having one of Fiat's hottest 4 cylinder powertrains bolted to it, then take 2 people, and not collapse like a bent piece of wire, then I'd say go for it, I just don't know what it would take to turn a Smart chassis into what we would need...

I'm open minded, but skeptical, about the Smart option. I just don't know if it could take the weight / power of what we would want to bolt to it...

Peace, -Mac

March 4th, 2005, 6:08 am #7

surely some decent thoughts could go to getting a screamin 1.5 SOHC with 120 horses in there, that would be an adequate introduction for me.

now get in the frickin chat room, 9 guys... hmm, sounds a bit gay.

Mac
Mac

March 4th, 2005, 8:48 am #8

That's a pretty significant difference in terms of what the chassis is engineered to handle I would think...

However, if it could be done that the platform could be gotten from DiamlerChrysler, reinforced by Fiat, maybe widened a bit? I think it could actually work out, as long as it can handle having Fiat's hottest 4 banger strapped to it.

Actually, to have a modern X that was lighter than the original would be a tremendously GOOD thing, since the old car weighs a ton (literally)

Hmm... you guys might be onto something...

I wonder if our friend is reading this? -Mac

(PS it was a fun chat!)

March 4th, 2005, 9:04 am #9

then anything around 100-120 hp is significant enough for a serious sportscar, and 150+ is nutter territory.

hmm, i'm gonna check out the local market... see what the going rate for these things are...

March 4th, 2005, 9:12 am #10

almost get a secondhand elise for that.  phooey.