Race Tires

Race Tires

March 6th, 2008, 11:55 pm #1

I have a race prepared 80 X that I only use for low and high speed autocross. I have some dot approved Hoosiers on it right now that need replacing. It also has 13"/9" rims on it. I know that now I can run a race tires on the car. I do most of my racing with Midwestern Counsel of Sports car Club. Their format at the high speed events is 4 lap practice sessions in the morning and single lap timed runs in the afternoon. Could anyone give some ideas of tires to get with out changing the rims. This is the most knowledgeable group of Fiat owners around. Thank you for your ideas. There is a company in the area that does see take offs, so it could be a tire meant for another car.

John Whitney
Wis X 1/9
&
Lotus 61 FF

Eric Armstrong - Oregon
Eric Armstrong - Oregon

March 7th, 2008, 1:22 am #2

Well, there are a couple of choices you can use.

20x9.5x13 is a good size tire from hoosier/Goodyear, etc. The only issue with it is learning how to drive on a cantilever slick.

Other options are the 245/45r13 dot tires from hoosier. I have heard their new R1 series tires have grip which is on par with the cantilever slicks.

I personally am going to stick with the dot tires for now. I raced the cantilevers for quite a long time however, given the track conditions I am going to be running at I want to stick with a more flexable tire. I am running on 8's in front and 9's in the rear.

Hope this helps.

Eric Armstrong

March 7th, 2008, 3:53 am #3

This guy is awsome. Give him a ring and he'll get you set up. his web site does not even show a fraction of what he can get for you. Serious......just call him.

http://www.jbracingtires.net/

Matt (Dr.Auto)(Montana USA)
1978 Fiat X-1/9 Auto-X project

March 7th, 2008, 4:49 am #4

I have a race prepared 80 X that I only use for low and high speed autocross. I have some dot approved Hoosiers on it right now that need replacing. It also has 13"/9" rims on it. I know that now I can run a race tires on the car. I do most of my racing with Midwestern Counsel of Sports car Club. Their format at the high speed events is 4 lap practice sessions in the morning and single lap timed runs in the afternoon. Could anyone give some ideas of tires to get with out changing the rims. This is the most knowledgeable group of Fiat owners around. Thank you for your ideas. There is a company in the area that does see take offs, so it could be a tire meant for another car.

John Whitney
Wis X 1/9
&
Lotus 61 FF
As Eric noted, the 20x13x9.5 are an option. I would go with Hoosier's R25A or R35 compound. The thing is your existing wheels are too wide for this size. They are intended for 7" wide wheels and can be used on 8's but that's as wide as they can go. 9s are out of the question.

There are some non-cantilever slicks but your car is way to heavy for those. They are intended for a 1000 lbs car WITH the driver. They won't work on a 1700 lbs car.

If you are going to stick with the 9" wide wheels I would go with the Hoosier A6 DOT race tire, 225/45-13. These are nearly as fast as the cantilever on asphalt in cool conditions. The cantilever slicks are faster if you can get them to temperature or running on concrete.

Steve
1x5

MikeMittelstead/Oregon
MikeMittelstead/Oregon

March 7th, 2008, 7:28 am #5

John Whitney
Wis X 1/9
&
Lotus 61 FF
DOT rubber is pretty gummy these days.
Primarily when new.
And therefore...expensive.
Slicks are more available than DOTs as takeoffs.
And most of the DOT takeoffs are road race compound.
Agreed...your rims are too wide for cantilever tires.
Agreed...cantilever tires are only ones designed for your weight.
Disagree that non-cantilevers won't work with your weight.
I won't run 'em on road courses,
but I and a lot of folks run 'em on go cart track,
which has up to 5 minute runs and speeds in the 30-70 mph range.
We have for a lot of years, no one has had a problem,
and all the slick guys are quicker than most of the DOT guys.
Some of the non-cantilever tires are designed to work with downforce aero,
so they support more weight than just static racecar weight.
Generally have to run a little more PSI, and helps to stretch 'em a bit over wider rims.
But tire temps read just fine, assuming you've got enough spring to support the grip,
and are not camber challenged.
Slicks are more prone to puncture and/or bead leaks, but that's the only downside.
Bottom line: take off slicks have more grip,
are more readily available, and are cheaper than takeoff DOTs.

All that said, I run DOT takeoffs for road courses,
due to 20 minute sessions and speeds of 50-110 mph.
I'm not going to experiment at those speeds!

Comments based on playing in this sandbox for 38 years,
but only 13 years with Fiats.
Does this look like a car that doesn't have grip?

March 7th, 2008, 2:53 pm #6

might just be the light, but it looks like thats at Medford, and more to the point, it appears that some new paving work has been done?? That could be interesting

March 7th, 2008, 4:16 pm #7

At the south end. The little kink down by the pit entrance has been straightened a bit as well.

So, Mark, are we going to see you out at OR '08 Trackday this year? How about you, Mike? As course designer, I am planning on taking full advantage of the upgraded aspects of the track. Braggin' rights are at stake here, or are you guys going to roll over again and let Chris Obert be the Top Dog?

Ciao,

Mark Plaia
SeaX member #007
74 X1/9 - il mela verde
fiatmarko@comcast.net

Eric Armstrong - Oregon
Eric Armstrong - Oregon

March 7th, 2008, 5:16 pm #8

Primarily when new.
Generally have to run a little more PSI, and helps to stretch 'em a bit over wider rims.
But tire temps read just fine, assuming you've got enough spring to support the grip,
Slicks are more prone to puncture and/or bead leaks, but that's the only downside.

Hahahha... Looking good Mike!

March 7th, 2008, 5:18 pm #9

This guy is awsome. Give him a ring and he'll get you set up. his web site does not even show a fraction of what he can get for you. Serious......just call him.

http://www.jbracingtires.net/

Matt (Dr.Auto)(Montana USA)
1978 Fiat X-1/9 Auto-X project
I have used John Berget for tires for my Lotus FF. I will be trying them out at the first Midwestern Councel Drivers school next month. Seems like a great guy and excellent service and he is 25 minues from my house.

John Whitney
Wis X 1/9
&
Lotus 61 FF

March 7th, 2008, 5:47 pm #10

Primarily when new.

Our first event is coming up April 4-6. Applications are available on the Siskiyou Sports car club website.

www.ssccmedford.org

Spring Enduro less than a month away!

Andy Jossy
Medford OR

74 X 1/9

79 2000 Spider w/ IDFs