Pods up for high beam flash

Pods up for high beam flash

June 19th, 2008, 11:51 pm #1

After Bob's post about how to keep the pods down with city lights on, I wanted to see some other combos. I tried the high beam flash from no lights/pods down. My pods DO NOT come up; the beams flash alright, but they stay down, so nobody sees a thing.

Is this a symptom of my wiring mods, or is this the way every X behaves?

Erwin Timmers '87 Bertone

June 19th, 2008, 11:58 pm #2

If you have the pods down, the high beams will flash without raising.

From the glass lined tanks of old Bertone

carl
carl

June 19th, 2008, 11:59 pm #3

After Bob's post about how to keep the pods down with city lights on, I wanted to see some other combos. I tried the high beam flash from no lights/pods down. My pods DO NOT come up; the beams flash alright, but they stay down, so nobody sees a thing.

With my headlights closed, if I hit the flash switch I light up the bottom of the front valence, the lights don't pop up. I realize that does not answer the X question, should be easy enough to confirm from others.

carl

June 20th, 2008, 1:02 am #4

Power to the pod circuit initiates within the light switch, not the high/low beam circuit.
I've been thinking of a mod for that too, but is it worth it? You HAVE to pull back on the
switch "long enough" for the pod to come completely up, or it will stop early.

Otherwise, a timer relay has to be used. It presents itself to be a bigger project than it's worth.
(to me anyway) I'll work it out if there's enough interest.

-Bob Brown

Eric Hamilton (Durham NC)
Eric Hamilton (Durham NC)

June 20th, 2008, 1:07 am #5

... right below the pods can be removed, and then the flash is visible. I seem to recall reading somewhere that early European models had a clear panel here just to allow pods-down flashing.... but that's an ISTR thing - plenty of non-US folks here who can set me straight.

June 20th, 2008, 12:23 pm #6

pods down "flash to pass".. most here have the black solid plastic covers.

June 20th, 2008, 3:17 pm #7

X-actly how my '87 is also. Kinda useless, especially since my Corsa kit covers that opening below the headlight pod.

Gregory Smith

'87 Bertone X1/9 Corsa
'88 VW Vanagon
Olympia, Washington, USA

June 20th, 2008, 5:09 pm #8

Power to the pod circuit initiates within the light switch, not the high/low beam circuit.
I've been thinking of a mod for that too, but is it worth it? You HAVE to pull back on the
switch "long enough" for the pod to come completely up, or it will stop early.

Otherwise, a timer relay has to be used. It presents itself to be a bigger project than it's worth.
(to me anyway) I'll work it out if there's enough interest.

-Bob Brown
I had a Toyota Supra, and the pods would go up all the way with one flick. Of course you'd still have to hold the switch to keep the brights visible while the pods would go up. I eventually learned to flick twice, once to activate the pods, and again to flash the brights. It sort of worked in a waaay too slow kind of way. Would the X system not do that?

Joe F
Joe F

June 20th, 2008, 5:52 pm #9

On the Supra, one flick pops pods up.

Next flick flashes lights...

How did the pods go back down? Third Flick? Timed out?

Thanks

Joe F
87 Bert

June 20th, 2008, 7:51 pm #10

I had a Toyota Supra, and the pods would go up all the way with one flick. Of course you'd still have to hold the switch to keep the brights visible while the pods would go up. I eventually learned to flick twice, once to activate the pods, and again to flash the brights. It sort of worked in a waaay too slow kind of way. Would the X system not do that?

If you have additional driving lights or fog lamps on the front and then wire these into the high beam, they can be used to flash. (Although the normal lights will still light, unseen, retracted in the pod housing).
Late spec UK cars have a couple of additional wires in the pod housing for these optional lights and I can attest that they do work because Ive connected some driving lights up to mine. Maybe all late spec cars have these wires?