Opinion Wanted on FI X1/9s

Opinion Wanted on FI X1/9s

June 28th, 2008, 6:27 am #1

Hello Xfolk
I'm visiting from Mirafiori. I've recently made a deal to obtain an X1/9, and get to choose one of three that my friend has. They are all fuel injected cars, and I'm wondering about X owners opinions on the different years. My only real driving experience was in a 1986 converted to dual carbs (Gary Schwartz's car from PA - where are you?), which I drove from eastern PA to Mystic to Boston to NJ and back to PA. It was a great fun time, but rorty and loud. This car should end up at my house to join my 850 Sedan for small car silliness, though it might become my sig.other's daily driver.

What opinions do people have of the cars from 81-87? Assuming equal condition
and prices, what are your favorites? Are there certain boondogles for certain
years? While facts are nice, opinions are great too. I leave late Monday night
for the purchase...

Jonathan in Denver
The FiatRN

June 28th, 2008, 7:05 am #2

for 85-86 : You get the 14-bolt cylinder head.
the 1987 cars had that same head but had some really obscure/slightly different parts. And the side moldings are in the eye of the beholder, but they arent easily removable.

From the glass lined tanks of old Bertone

Ed
Ed

June 28th, 2008, 7:15 am #3

I had a 79 with Dual Webers. Now I have an 85 with fi and I think I prefer the fi for gas mileage. Plus driving around doesn't leave me with a ring in my ears.

I would look for a car with the cleanest interior and low mileage. Owning an 850, I'm sure you are on the lookout for rust.

Ed

June 28th, 2008, 8:00 am #4

for 85-86 : You get the 14-bolt cylinder head.
the 1987 cars had that same head but had some really obscure/slightly different parts. And the side moldings are in the eye of the beholder, but they arent easily removable.

From the glass lined tanks of old Bertone
My 6/86 build date car is 10 bolt.

Nothing wrong with the 10 bolt configuration, though.

Andrew Coles
Andrew Coles

June 28th, 2008, 9:07 am #5

Hello Xfolk
I'm visiting from Mirafiori. I've recently made a deal to obtain an X1/9, and get to choose one of three that my friend has. They are all fuel injected cars, and I'm wondering about X owners opinions on the different years. My only real driving experience was in a 1986 converted to dual carbs (Gary Schwartz's car from PA - where are you?), which I drove from eastern PA to Mystic to Boston to NJ and back to PA. It was a great fun time, but rorty and loud. This car should end up at my house to join my 850 Sedan for small car silliness, though it might become my sig.other's daily driver.

for the purchase...

Jonathan in Denver
The FiatRN

June 28th, 2008, 9:25 am #6

Hello Xfolk

for the purchase...

Jonathan in Denver
The FiatRN
for pre-86 (before USA OBD) vehicles. Not sure if that's important to you.

June 28th, 2008, 2:28 pm #7

^^

Jim W. (in the Northeast)

June 28th, 2008, 2:38 pm #8

Hello Xfolk

for the purchase...

Jonathan in Denver
The FiatRN
I have an injected '82. It's a daily driver. So regardless of cold or really hot weather, it starts, and I'm on my way. Mileage is great also, around 33-34 mpg all around, week after week. Can't complain with the current gas prices.

Cheers,

Cesare

June 28th, 2008, 3:29 pm #9

There's rust and then there's rust! If you'd like a refresher course on x1/9 rust and what's-not-so-bad and what's-a-deal-breaker, put up a new post for plenty of advice just on that topic.

For example, bubbling paint behind the rear wheels is not nearly as bad as the same amount of bubbling paint around the windshield.

Other major differences between early and late FI is that mid-to-late '85 and later manufacturing date cars have the Bosch power window system, completey different from the earlier cable system.

'87 cars have the padded steering wheel hub and the all-black A/C buttons, if equipped with A/C. Damon mentioned the big body side moldings, which are for practical purposes nonremoveable because the moldings mount to 10-12 attachment points on the outer surface of the door sheet metal. Remove the moldings and there are the attachment points.

June 28th, 2008, 3:44 pm #10

Hello Xfolk

for the purchase...

Jonathan in Denver
The FiatRN
As with purchasing any car,condition, condition, condition. It also depends on what your goals are. If one is planning to build an X special or race car, then a less than pristine car might do fine.

As for the rust issue, it's really no worst than any other similar car of this age. Honesty folks, the rusty FIAT myth is tire some for me. I will say corrosion protection evolved and changed over the many years of X production and individual car. Generally, the mid 80's and later Bertone cars have significantly improved corrosion protection compared say a 74'. I think FIAT folks are overly sensitive about the rust issue.

EFI cars make nice reliable, fuel efficient, fun daily drivers. Just about any X in good condition can be turned into wedgee shaped roller coaster rocket if desired. Keep in mind these are old cars and will likely need many parts replaced due to wear and aging for them to be nice and reliable again. Again, true for any car this age.

The 14 bolt vs 10 bolt cylinder head depends more on the individual car. Parts like gaskets sets and such might be a bit more of a problem for the 14 bolt Lancia version of this engine. It depended on what FIAT shipped Bertone as they built them.