Ok Ricardo This is a Major Challenge

Ok Ricardo This is a Major Challenge

JJ
JJ

August 18th, 2008, 2:15 am #1

I want to know if you think you can do this for the X-19..... Warning this will cause Mac to get very excited...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7LFkMs7G-tk

Ricardo
Ricardo

August 18th, 2008, 4:36 pm #2

Umbrella roof style mmm..

Maybe if you use a over strong mechanism, right now i'm working on my second saratoga roof, slowly and step by step, counting hour by hour to really know how much time i spend on this project, without mistakes, (the last roof i over burned the plexiglass and spend a lot of time to recover just the roof, sanding and polishing only the plexiglass for over 20hours) maybe is possible "the umbrella top" just i need time, at this time i have the first idea how to do the mechanism, but I need to finish this first and then start to review all the posibilities

Ricardo
X19/79

JJ
JJ

August 18th, 2008, 11:05 pm #3

Some big ones....

Ricardo
Ricardo

August 19th, 2008, 12:16 am #4

I was thinking on the mechanism of some baby bassinet, if you have some play yard bassinet, check the mechanism of the bottom part (matress place)

is just the beginning...

Ricardo

August 19th, 2008, 1:19 am #5

I have been thinking about this for a while. My "goal" is to come up with a roof that can be put in the rear trunk and be a little lighter than the stock top. I am toying with the idea of cutting up an old targa and only using the edges.

Here is a quick drawing I put together last year when I was trying to describe it to Pappa Tony.

Should fit nicely in the rear trunk when folded. Well.. I hope it will.

One of these days.

jd

Code: Select all

1978                1986  \
[/b]
2005 FFO Photo Gallery

Ian Lawson (NZ)
Ian Lawson (NZ)

August 19th, 2008, 5:02 am #6

Yeah, I can see the start of something quite successful in your sketch there!!

Hmmmm, something for me to think about doing in my retiree's workshop now that we seem to having a PERMANENT winter here in down-under land!!

cheers, Ian - NZ

August 19th, 2008, 6:54 am #7

I have been thinking about this for a while. My "goal" is to come up with a roof that can be put in the rear trunk and be a little lighter than the stock top. I am toying with the idea of cutting up an old targa and only using the edges.

Here is a quick drawing I put together last year when I was trying to describe it to Pappa Tony.

Should fit nicely in the rear trunk when folded. Well.. I hope it will.

One of these days.

jd

[/b]
2005 FFO Photo Gallery
Cool idea JD! I think you'd have to do double hinges though, or it would be wider than the rear trunk space. Maybe put another hinge in the middle of the side 'bars' so it kinda collapses/folds flat and keeps the original width?
Just thinking out loud.
-Brody

August 19th, 2008, 12:18 pm #8

Umbrella roof style mmm..

Maybe if you use a over strong mechanism, right now i'm working on my second saratoga roof, slowly and step by step, counting hour by hour to really know how much time i spend on this project, without mistakes, (the last roof i over burned the plexiglass and spend a lot of time to recover just the roof, sanding and polishing only the plexiglass for over 20hours) maybe is possible "the umbrella top" just i need time, at this time i have the first idea how to do the mechanism, but I need to finish this first and then start to review all the posibilities

Ricardo
X19/79
And quite successfully too, I believe. There was a write up in the UK club magazine some time last year with pics. It looked really good and had the 'double hinge' idea if I recall correctly.

August 19th, 2008, 3:23 pm #9

Yeah, I can see the start of something quite successful in your sketch there!!

Hmmmm, something for me to think about doing in my retiree's workshop now that we seem to having a PERMANENT winter here in down-under land!!

cheers, Ian - NZ
This project has been on my mind for a year or so. Lots of thinking is all I have to show so far.

jd

[/b]
2005 FFO Photo Gallery

August 19th, 2008, 3:40 pm #10

Cool idea JD! I think you'd have to do double hinges though, or it would be wider than the rear trunk space. Maybe put another hinge in the middle of the side 'bars' so it kinda collapses/folds flat and keeps the original width?
Just thinking out loud.
-Brody
We must be thinking along slightly different lines though. Since the sides are shorter than the front and rear edges, they will not increase the overall width when folded in as one piece. I would think it would go easily in the rear trunk.

My "plan", if it can be called that , is to have the side bars hinged on one corner and "latched" at the other end. Each side would be hinged at the opposite end so that one folded to the front edge and the other to rear edge. Basically, each side will detach at one corner and swing inward to meet the front or rear edge. Once that is done, you could roll the top up like a long tube if you wanted.

I really haven't done any serious measuring, so I could be way off base here.

jd

[/b]
2005 FFO Photo Gallery