Oil Pressure Switch... in the ditch?

Oil Pressure Switch... in the ditch?

April 24th, 2008, 5:13 am #1

I just brought an oil pressure switch to suit X19 and when I screwed it in place of the giant copper one it read no ign 0 ign on max engine running 0
I'm now thinking it has to do with the low oil light if that's different than oil pressure gauge sender.
Der Dum.. I had to cut the wires to the old one too... damn..

OIL SWITCH. Brand ECHLIN

PART NO. OP6068.

SUITS FIAT 124 4CYL 70-78.

125 4 CYL 1.6L 68-73.

127 4 CYL 903cc, 75-77.

128 4 CYL 1.3L 71-79.

130 V6 3.2L 72-76.

131 4 CYL 1.6L 75-83.

132 4 CYL 81-82.

FIAT ARGENTA 4 CYL 2.L 83-85.

REGATA 85S, 100S, 4 CYL 85-87.

STRADA 4 CYL 79-83.

X1/9, CYL 74-83.

Got any hideas? Found my clutch problem.. loose lower engine support carrier.. replaced stripped set screws with 3/8" unc ht set screws tapered and self tapping grooves cut in the lead taper to start cutting a new thread in the welded in nuts up in the chassis, Damn are they tight now! yeah... they work out about 9.5 mm saved me a lot of work for now...
Cheers Neil

jake
jake

April 24th, 2008, 5:36 am #2

op6068 is the right part # for fi models atleast, it has a blade connector on the end. shouldn't have had to cut wires for 1.5 fi models. not sure on carb or 1.3 the changes (1.3 i think had 2 sensors?). what year do you have? also if it was put in with anything other than a proper fitting deep socket or oil pressure switch socket, then it might still be loose enough to not get up to the correct pressure at the switch. I did this once with pliers... it felt tight enough but it really wasn't.

April 24th, 2008, 5:51 am #3

G'day Jake,
thanks for your reply. So it is the correct one? that's good to know.
It was loose in the thread so I took it back out and wrapped plumbing pipe thread tape around it, I'm sure I didn't tighten it up to the end of the thread. You think this will make the difference. What about the full pressure reading when the ign is on..
I thought the polarity may be wrong for the guage for that sender. What's your thoughts on that?.
Cheers Neil
PS. 78 model 1300. the oil pressure switch I removed is gigantic, twice the size of this new one.
Last edited by neilium on April 24th, 2008, 5:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Peter R (Aus)
Peter R (Aus)

April 24th, 2008, 9:49 am #4

Hi Neilium,
There are two senders for the oil pressure. The larger bulbous one fits behind the dizzy and sends to the oil pressure guage on dash.
The second smaller one fits mid way in the back between the spark plugs which just reads to the red warning dash light. Sounds like you might be trying to replace the larger one with the smaller one.
Regards
Peter

April 24th, 2008, 10:51 am #5

G'day Peter,
So that's what the other one is.. I remember seeing that when sticking the engine back in and didn't bother to wonder if it was water temp or oil, the parts bill was blinding me at the time... Yes I'd say you're spot on mate. Bugger it I might just buy a seperate oil guage and line an leave it in the engine bay.
the fiat one looks too big to be cheap..
Thanks mate. Cheers Neil

Peter R (Aus)
Peter R (Aus)

April 24th, 2008, 12:02 pm #6

Neil,
You won't get much change out of a hundred for the big chap. I got one for $50 plus shipping recently from the US>
Cheers
Peter

April 24th, 2008, 12:53 pm #7

G'day Peter,
I named my only son Peter..... was your other one not working at all or was it the low pressure reading that inspired you to chuck your money to the other hemisphere? and wazit any different?.. I reckon that was a good price for something as sophisticated and big... as that. Almost piston size..
Cheers Neil

jake
jake

April 24th, 2008, 3:44 pm #8

G'day Jake,
thanks for your reply. So it is the correct one? that's good to know.
It was loose in the thread so I took it back out and wrapped plumbing pipe thread tape around it, I'm sure I didn't tighten it up to the end of the thread. You think this will make the difference. What about the full pressure reading when the ign is on..
I thought the polarity may be wrong for the guage for that sender. What's your thoughts on that?.
Cheers Neil
PS. 78 model 1300. the oil pressure switch I removed is gigantic, twice the size of this new one.
op6068 is just for the oil light, not the gauge. should be a gray/yellow wire to it. if it's the oil pressure trasmitter for the gauge, the wiring diagram for 1300 shows a black wire from the sending unit to a gray/black wire. that's from the haynes book, and i do not have a 1300 to confirm the colors.