August 28th, 2008, 12:04 am #2

haywood j
haywood j

August 28th, 2008, 12:28 am #3

Mike Richmond
Mike Richmond

August 28th, 2008, 12:34 am #4

the end of JJs auction. What happened?
I think reserve auctions are a waste of time. With a car like this that has likely to generate a fair amount of interest, I think it's more likely to sell if the seller picks a real minimum first bid that reflects what they are willing to take.

I didn't bid, for a number of reasons, but the reserve format was part of it. How do you even have the discussion on what the budget will handle with the spouse if you don't even know what the lowest price will purchase the car?

MikeR ('86 X, black, a LOT rattier than JJs)

August 28th, 2008, 12:42 am #5

Bidding topped at $5600, which I think is pretty darn tootin' impressive for any X with 87k on the clock. IMHO, to get that pop for much more is going to require many, many hours of disassembly-reassembly type detailing, fixing the A/C, finding a new glovebox door, taking care of all the niggling details (mats, clock, ashtray, sunvisors, center caps, etc.), and then detailing the underbody, suspension, etc., liberal use of chassis spray and all the other tricks in the detailers handbook.

But oh my gosh what a lot of hours of thankless PITA work and additional investment for a crapshoot that just the right buyer will see the car, appreciate and be inspired to pay you for what you've done. Or do you keep advertising, and hope for the best?

Ugh, I wouldn't want to be making that decision. Maybe that's why I'm so bad at whittling down my own stable of mismatched rides.

Bruce
(the bearing guy)

Pat Higginbotham
Pat Higginbotham

August 28th, 2008, 1:43 am #6

I won't be able to retire on the proceeds from my '84?

DougESmith
DougESmith

August 28th, 2008, 2:00 am #7

Simply stated. All of us X1/9 owners are rich SOBs. Seriously! Everyone of us has the disposable income to throw away on a material object that will most likely never sell for more than what we put into it. Or if we are lucky, much more than what we put into it. - In our life times.

But we don't do it for the money! We do it for the love!

MikeMittelstead/Oregon
MikeMittelstead/Oregon

August 28th, 2008, 4:20 pm #8

I think reserve auctions are a waste of time. With a car like this that has likely to generate a fair amount of interest, I think it's more likely to sell if the seller picks a real minimum first bid that reflects what they are willing to take.

I didn't bid, for a number of reasons, but the reserve format was part of it. How do you even have the discussion on what the budget will handle with the spouse if you don't even know what the lowest price will purchase the car?

MikeR ('86 X, black, a LOT rattier than JJs)
...is to find interested potential buyers,
then make a deal outside of ebay.
At least that's what the seller has
posted as his scheme.
Very few of his listings sell via ebay.

JJ
JJ

August 28th, 2008, 5:44 pm #9

That is the entire point. This isn¡¯t auto trader. Lately there has a been a very large lack of commitment on the behalf of eBay purchasers. I have already performed the service of Owning the car, preparing the car, taking detailed photos of the car, describing it as accurately as I can, and listing it on eBay. The only responsibility on the buyers part is to inspect the car if they like, come up with a figure they can commit to and actually pull the trigger and make a committed offer. The fact of the matter is all I want is for someone who is committed to buy the car to make me an offer that they can follow up on. If I put on EBay a buy it now of 6000 dollars for example, Then someone gets permission from the spouse to buy it, that still wont commit them to the transaction. They still have to get off there arse and call me on the phone and have a conversation to determine if I am the person with enough integrity to buy from. That is also that persons opportunity to hash out any terms of the deal they want accomplished, and ask any more questions related to the car. At the same time that conversation is my opportunity to access how real that buyer is. Something to consider also. I have the center caps, the new glove box, the ash tray, and all of the other little tidbits minus a working AC. So yea it¡¯s pretty close to perfect. All she needs is a committed new owner. Bottom line is there is no accountability to buy purchase something on eBay after you have won that item. Even if I were to let the car go no reserve that still will not force them to complete the transaction. What am I supposed to do?, let someone win the car and sit here for 3 weeks while they decide if they are going to buy the car or not?

On a wholesale retail note something to consider. We all know there is a high and a low and middle on these cars. I have owned 8 x/19 s over the years. Some of them I have had as much as 11,000 dollars invested. I never made money on an x/19 in my entire life. So I obviously do it for the car. I also realize a lot of you have seen a few cars come and go in my small collection. There are some reasons for that I will explain when the time is right. In the mean time I appreciate any and all support that this community has brought over the years. I want you guys to be in my corner rooting for me. I will do the same when it comes time for you to sell something. I will be honest I have owned 277 cars since I was old enough to drive. I am almost 35 years old now and I am tired of buying cars. I recently purchased a 98 Mercedes turbo diesel. I think I¡¯m going to drive the wheels off of it. This takes a lot of commitment on my part since I have never been a buy and hold type of personality. After this 85 bertone I also have an 80 model x/19 I will sell. Then I¡¯m left with my dream car the 74 x with the Dallara kit. I can finally focus my attention to finishing that car. Please don¡¯t hate me because I flip these cars once in a while. At least I¡¯m giving this one the best care I have ever for an X. The paint is two stage Valspar paint. All of the hot rod restoration guys are using it. It¡¯s the type of paint job that should last 20 years. And a few of you saw the car before the paint job. She really needed it. I don¡¯t think this is the last time you will see this car. I would put its quality in the top percentile of X/19s I just hope someone really has fun and appreciates this car. Sorry for being so long winded today. Jeff Johnson

August 28th, 2008, 6:09 pm #10

Just as the buyer expects to get a good deal as well. The thing with this particular X1/9 is JJ has spent the time and money to get a superior paint job on it, whereas some of us around here wouldn't. He has also taken the time to get very high quality work done on the seats, in leather, but somehow these 2 things get overlooked because of a broken glove box door that de-values and kills the entire deal? Getting non-working A/C is not that big of a deal considering when someone lists an X1/9 or any car of this vintage, the A/C doesn't work anyways. Getting an X1/9 with A/C, if you want A/C, is half the battle too. We seem to whine about the relatively low value of these cars but when one comes along that is actually worth the money, no one wants to pay. I say this knowing that I wouldn't pay that much for an X1/9, but only because I like to do all the work myself. But as JJ says, these services have already been provided and he should expect to get a good deal in return for his investment.

RMMJ
1986 Bertone X1/9 a.k.a BlueTooth
www.socalx.com