OEM Wiper Motor Replacement w/ a REAL alternative...

OEM Wiper Motor Replacement w/ a REAL alternative...

October 27th, 2008, 9:33 pm #1

Anyone ever swap out the stock wiper motor for something out of a GM/Ford/Chrysler product that would give functional wiper performance? Years back, I recall Leszig's poll and results and some talk about using a motor from another Fiat/Yugo model.

Seems simple enough. No? Find a small enough unit with good performance at a local boneyard for a few bucks, perhaps fab a motoring plate, mate the new spindle with the OEM linkage.

October 27th, 2008, 10:48 pm #2

The B.W.M. made a significant change on mine and greatly improved other problems I was having. I installed two relays after this and the wipers are now as good as any other car,,, a huge improvement.Prior to the fix they would barely wipe when fully wet,they now wipe effortlessly even when dry.

MikeMittelstead/Oregon
MikeMittelstead/Oregon

October 27th, 2008, 11:26 pm #3

...right up there with
ring terminal grounds,
headlight relays,
starter solenoid relay,
fuse A relay (or at least clean/tight connection),
BWM,
cleaning connections on gauge circuit board,
dielectric grease,
cooling fan override switch/light,
clean/re-tensioned fuse clips for pre-Bertones,
and ignition switch contact renewal.

October 27th, 2008, 11:27 pm #4

The B.W.M. made a significant change on mine and greatly improved other problems I was having. I installed two relays after this and the wipers are now as good as any other car,,, a huge improvement.Prior to the fix they would barely wipe when fully wet,they now wipe effortlessly even when dry.
at least on 87's. I'm sure the most rattiest chevvette has better wiper speed then when the X was fresh off the line.

I've run the wiper motor on few X's right off the battery with quality jumper cables and performance has always SUCKED! Perhaps you got the only decent wiper motor.

David Roth
David Roth

October 28th, 2008, 3:02 am #5

Anyone ever swap out the stock wiper motor for something out of a GM/Ford/Chrysler product that would give functional wiper performance? Years back, I recall Leszig's poll and results and some talk about using a motor from another Fiat/Yugo model.

Seems simple enough. No? Find a small enough unit with good performance at a local boneyard for a few bucks, perhaps fab a motoring plate, mate the new spindle with the OEM linkage.

http://mirafiori.com/faq/content/boshwi ... hwiper.htm

There is a article on Mirafiori.com about using a VW bosch wiper motor.

htf

October 28th, 2008, 5:41 am #6

I should look for the right VW motor...
I tried an Alfa Romeo wiper motor and it made no diff.

HaXD
Herzel, in Israel

WhiteX
The late Green '85 X1/9
Last edited by htf on October 28th, 2008, 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.