N54 Archive DUPLICATE on Xweb 2.0

Mac
Mac

September 12th, 2008, 2:06 am #1

Comments in either location are appreciated

http://xwebforums.org/showthread.php?p=701

Peace, -Mac

September 12th, 2008, 2:42 am #2

See my post over ther. Does it make any sense?

RMMJ
1986 Bertone X1/9 a.k.a BlueTooth
www.socalx.com

Duane K Estill (Corinth, Mississippi)
Duane K Estill (Corinth, Mississippi)

September 12th, 2008, 2:49 am #3

Peace, -Mac

Thomas
Thomas

September 12th, 2008, 9:17 pm #4

.....placated. Great work!

Mac
Mac

September 12th, 2008, 10:54 pm #5

Please hold the applause til we succeed

It is a "bold" (insane? lol) proposal though I'll agree with that

Pat Higginbotham
Pat Higginbotham

September 12th, 2008, 11:16 pm #6

Peace, -Mac
but I don't even know what this is about. What's this about?

Mac
Mac

September 12th, 2008, 11:25 pm #7

Did you go read the thread at that link?

It's about making a copy of the full Xweb archives over on the new system, the full story is over there feel free to check it out

Pat Higginbotham
Pat Higginbotham

September 12th, 2008, 11:32 pm #8

the first time I read the link over in 2.0 I got bogged down by some of the terms. But you are saying the search engine is better-better how? I don't know from search engines or anything else IT oriented-if that isn't already painfully obvious.

Mac
Mac

September 12th, 2008, 11:40 pm #9

I did not understand your first comment I guess, I thought you meant you just didn't understand what I was saying because I only posted a link here and perhaps you hadn't clicked into it. Sorry about that. What is it about the search that is better? Well the search engine over there is just a lot more developed than the one on N54 Xweb is what I mean mostly. It works better. It returns a pretty good number of relevant hits on the average search and does a fair job at ordering, whereas, the search engine on N54 Xweb 1.0 is really just old and crude and not very user friendly and often prone to returning some pretty random/irrelevant/disorganized hits. So what I mean is just that the search over there would be a far superior tool for finding things in the archives. In fact if we ever had a search feature over here originally that did an effective/sufficient job of it probably "Best Of" would never have even been necessary to create. The only reason we ever did was because the search here is so buggy no one could ever find anything. Then the guys and I who are replying over there are mostly talking geek stuff about databases, but also, some more layman type strategy on making a copy of the archives on the new system and kicking around some pretty low tech alternatives too. All comments are welcome in either forum location (this thread or that one) and dont hesitate to ask any questions that you may have about the IT-speak

Peace, -Mac

Pat Higginbotham
Pat Higginbotham

September 12th, 2008, 11:45 pm #10

I am glad to hear the search function here is not exactly the dog's dooders 'cause I never seem to have any luck with it, but chalked that up to my profound ignorance.