Leftover bits in the transmisison gasket set

Leftover bits in the transmisison gasket set

Eric Hamilton (Durham NC)
Eric Hamilton (Durham NC)

October 26th, 2008, 11:45 pm #1

I'm putting my 4-speed transmission back together, I have a 4-speed transmission gasket set from Vick's and there are a few bits and pieces that I'm not sure about.

Picture here

There's the big O-ring, about three inches in diameter, looks like something to do with the differential (which I haven't taken apart - was working fine before and looked good when I opened the case). What's it for?

There are four smaller o-rings. One is for the reverse shaft and one is for the pivot for the clutch release lever. But what about the other two?

And finally, what's that cardboard gasket for? All the other gaskets in the set I've found a home for.

October 27th, 2008, 4:11 am #2

There's the big O-ring, about three inches in diameter, looks like something to do with the differential (which I haven't taken apart - was working fine before and looked good when I opened the case). What's it for?

>>> The big O-ring is the seal for the diff bearing carrier support. It fits on the left side of the case where the boot is bolted in place.

There are four smaller o-rings. One is for the reverse shaft and one is for the pivot for the clutch release lever. But what about the other two?

>>> One is for the speedo drive and the other is for a different application. Not used in the X.

And finally, what's that cardboard gasket for? All the other gaskets in the set I've found a home for.

>>> Also for another application. Not used in the X.

Steve
1x5