Lancia Beta 2.0 engine swap question

Lancia Beta 2.0 engine swap question

October 24th, 2008, 6:13 pm #1

I am picking up a 2.0 Lancia Beta engine to put in my x, the transmission is available as well. Does the transmission bolt right in as well? I am also wondering how the axle shafts will work. thanks in advance.

JJ
JJ

October 24th, 2008, 6:58 pm #2

But I will bet you will be looking at some custom fabrication...If you get in trouble I have some extra lancia half shafts....

John
John

October 24th, 2008, 7:17 pm #3

the axle shafts? or cutting, grinding, welding in the engine bay?

Pete Whitstone
Pete Whitstone

October 24th, 2008, 7:28 pm #4

I am picking up a 2.0 Lancia Beta engine to put in my x, the transmission is available as well. Does the transmission bolt right in as well? I am also wondering how the axle shafts will work. thanks in advance.
But I own a Scorpion and an X1/9, and can tell you this:

The transmissions do not interchange, so you can't use a 2.0 engine and a X1/9 transmission, you will have to swap the drivetrain as a package. You will need to fabricate custom shift linkage, as the X has a single shift rod entering the bottom of the tranny, while the Scorpions shift input is on top. The Scorp has a wierd arrangement of rods that rotate on different axis (parallel to the axles, and then straight up and down, iirc) that is difficult to describe in words.

Every swap I have seen has removed the bulkhead between the engine compartment and the trunk, and replaced it with a tubular X, but I'm not sure if this is just for access, or if it will simply not fit without doing this.

Good luck, take some pictures!
Pete

Angelo Savosardaro
Angelo Savosardaro

October 24th, 2008, 7:28 pm #5

the axle shafts? or cutting, grinding, welding in the engine bay?
The axles will be fine, use 2 short X1/9 axles and center the engine based on that(thanks Steve C). Fabrication will be needed in motor mounts, shift linkage, clutch slave and arm, exhaust, frame clearence etc. Some swaps seem to require more than others. Be prepared if you go ahead with this.

Myron Samila
Myron Samila

October 24th, 2008, 8:40 pm #6

unless you're doing engine work to it, what's the goal?

It's a lot of work to swap it, for a small amount of gain. You can easily do some mods to the 1300/1500 engines that will see a power increase, however, if you do plan on upgrading the twin cam, then you'll see even bigger benefits.

John
John

October 24th, 2008, 9:22 pm #7

the engine is a short block. I don't plan on doing the swap anytime soon because I want to take my time with the engine build and go for the most I can get out of the 2litre reliably.

John
John

October 24th, 2008, 9:24 pm #8

But I own a Scorpion and an X1/9, and can tell you this:

The transmissions do not interchange, so you can't use a 2.0 engine and a X1/9 transmission, you will have to swap the drivetrain as a package. You will need to fabricate custom shift linkage, as the X has a single shift rod entering the bottom of the tranny, while the Scorpions shift input is on top. The Scorp has a wierd arrangement of rods that rotate on different axis (parallel to the axles, and then straight up and down, iirc) that is difficult to describe in words.

Every swap I have seen has removed the bulkhead between the engine compartment and the trunk, and replaced it with a tubular X, but I'm not sure if this is just for access, or if it will simply not fit without doing this.

Good luck, take some pictures!
Pete
thought its was more of a straight forward swap:(

Vincent Komara
Vincent Komara

October 24th, 2008, 10:08 pm #9

I have the scorpion linkage including the shifter and arms that mount to the top of the transaxle. This will go a long way to converting your Beta box to shift like a Scorpion. Let me know if you are interested.

Vince

Pete Whitstone
Pete Whitstone

October 24th, 2008, 10:16 pm #10

thought its was more of a straight forward swap:(
I have both Scorp and Beta transmissions lying around my shop, they are nearly identical externally. The only real difference I see is that the Scorp unit is like the X1/9 in the output shaft area, where the CV shaft connections are close to the ring gear and equidistant from it. On the Beta, the short side has the same arrangement as the Scorp, but the long side has a shaft coming out of it, that runs near the oil pan rail across the length of the engine. Then there is a support bearing at the "front" (accessory drive) end of the engine, and on the other side of that is the mount for the CV joint. That must be why people use 2 short X1/9 axles. If you do use a Scorpion transmission, you would have to use the Scorpion drive shafts.

There is also a difference at the CV joint between the X1/9 and the Lancias, one has nuts on the other side of the 6 Allen-headed cap screws, the other has no nuts and the cap screws thread directly into the mounting flange. No big deal to overcome.

I can take some pix of the different units and post them if you want.

Pete