IF Fiat builds the new X...what are the chances of coming to the U.S.?

IF Fiat builds the new X...what are the chances of coming to the U.S.?

Mark in Syracuse
Mark in Syracuse

February 13th, 2005, 7:00 am #1

I personally think the only chance for FIAT to come back into the U.S. is if a major company like GM bought the company and there was a recent artcle about just that happening. Well at least the purchase part, not the coming to the U.S. part.

My interest in a new X only goes as far as the possibility of getting one. What good is it if it's only available on MARS?

Mac
Mac

February 13th, 2005, 7:07 am #2

... unless you are able to self-import one, which may or may not be entirely legal, but is not entirely impossible.

But before you pack up the rocket ship to Mars, let's find out A: if they're even going to ever build the thing, and B: whether they're going to make it a REAL X1/9 SUCCESSOR or just a 4 seater Punto rebody for the masses. If the latter, I guess I better get wrenching on my real X. If the former, well, I hear Europe is a great place to live for a few years

Peace, -Mac

Brad in Stockton
Brad in Stockton

February 13th, 2005, 6:52 pm #3

I personally think the only chance for FIAT to come back into the U.S. is if a major company like GM bought the company and there was a recent artcle about just that happening. Well at least the purchase part, not the coming to the U.S. part.

My interest in a new X only goes as far as the possibility of getting one. What good is it if it's only available on MARS?
as Fiat's seriously on the ropes, financially. And large shareholder GM doesn't seem willing to let them do much more than continue slowly twisting in the wind.

But when the price of oil moves above the $75 a barrel range and the focus returns to small cars, prospects may brighten...

Regards,

Brad in Stockton

Mac
Mac

February 13th, 2005, 7:54 pm #4

As of this morning, see the article posted in the DF:
http://www.network54.com/Forum/message? ... 1108324071

So now, it's just Fiat to convince. I still don't think we'll be seeing any X1/99s officially sold on US shores though.

I would like to see them offer it in limited numbers maybe through existing dealers of Fiat Group's other cars in the US, but seeing as those are "prestige" models, just sitting in the same showroom would be bound to drive the retail price up.

Oh well, again, there's always self-import

Peace, -Mac

Mark in Syracuse
Mark in Syracuse

February 14th, 2005, 1:12 pm #5

the deal between GM and FIAT?

What exactly does GM get from the $2 billion dollar deal? “Diesel assets and other important rights”? FIAT's car manufacturing is obviously losing cash and one reason would be that they are non-existent in North America, arguably the largest concentrated market in the world. They are not players… they have become pretenders.

Reading between the lines it appears that FIAT after buying a put option

(for those wondering this is basically an option to sell something in the future at a predicted set price, if the predicted selling price is lower than the value of the item, the buyer of the put (FIAT) does not have to sell and loses only the money used to purchase the put option but if the value of the item is lower than the option selling price then the seller can force his option and sell, in this case GM is the big loser)

restructured the car mfg unit. In GM’s eyes, this restructuring changed the value (obviously lowering or weakening the value) of FIAT and doing so after the put option was purchased was a deliberate attempt to sabotage the deal. FIAT insists that no that isn’t the case. I tend to lean toward GM’s view here because of FIAT’s inability to penetrate North American markets. FIAT is huge and this is inexcusable, it show’s that they are incompetent when considering their size compared to other manufacturers.

They tried to leverage a deal out of GM when I believe that long term GM will leverage a deal from FIAT.

It may be done now but I would not be surprised to see another deal somewhere down the road.

Regarding the X1/99, it would not be a very good idea to piece meal sell these here in the US. It would be a disaster and would drive up prices and then after you got the car getting parts would be a nightmare. No thanks, after seeing how well they have supported previous cars...if it wasn't for enthusiasts we would have all taken the X's to the crusher long ago.

February 15th, 2005, 3:48 am #6

!

http://www3.sympatico.ca/myronx19
Myron Samila
Toronto, Canada
1978 Fiat X1/9 1500cc/4spd/daily driver
1982 Fiat X1/9 1500cc FI/Faza 35/75/weekender
1982 Fiat X1/9 1500cc dual 45/DCOE GT race car
1987 Volvo 760 GLE daily&winter beater
1987 Alfa Romeo Milano (Gold) sold,

February 15th, 2005, 3:48 am #7

as Fiat's seriously on the ropes, financially. And large shareholder GM doesn't seem willing to let them do much more than continue slowly twisting in the wind.

But when the price of oil moves above the $75 a barrel range and the focus returns to small cars, prospects may brighten...

Regards,

Brad in Stockton

Mark in Syracuse
Mark in Syracuse

February 15th, 2005, 5:02 pm #8

!

http://www3.sympatico.ca/myronx19
Myron Samila
Toronto, Canada
1978 Fiat X1/9 1500cc/4spd/daily driver
1982 Fiat X1/9 1500cc FI/Faza 35/75/weekender
1982 Fiat X1/9 1500cc dual 45/DCOE GT race car