I am disappointed in Greg Silver

I am disappointed in Greg Silver

June 16th, 2008, 7:44 pm #1

Over the past few years, I have greatly enjoyed this forum. I found a bunch of caring, sharing and involved people. I discovered fellow Xers who dispensed ready advice to a newbie without belittling that person's lack of knowledge. I found people who traded and - in so many cases - gave away parts to those in need. I value the friendships that I have developed on this board.

Back in the latter part of last year, Tommy Petton sent out a plea for assistance. We had all heard of Greg Silver's impending divorce and the trauma associated with that divorce. Greg needed some financial assistance and Tommy was trying to facilitate that assistance. On 11Jan, I contacted Greg. At that time, Greg stated that he needed $1500.00. Greg and I talked about the money and we agreed that I would lend Greg the $1500. based upon his leaving his X1/9 with me for collateral and also sending me the signed copy of his title, so that I could register the lien on his car.

On 16Jan, Greg contacted me and he then needed $2500. I wire transferred $2500. to Greg's account. even though I had not drawn up the papers for the loan. I trusted Greg. After all, he was a member of the forum and we are all really great and honest people.

On 05Feb, Greg contacted me and wanted to revise the loan agreement for an additional $200. But, before I could respond.......

On 08Feb, Greg contacted me and said that he had some very pressing bills and really needed $1150. I agreed that I would send more money for a total lent to Greg of $3500 plus the wire transfer fees of $24. I drew up the loan agreement for $3524. Greg had the loan agreement notarized and returned to me.

Starting around the middle of March, Greg was noticeably absent from the Xweb. I also had no communication from Greg. I received one month's payment - 21 days late. I did not receive any other payments. Greg did not surrender his car or his title to me. Greg stopped communicating with me. In the interim period, I came to find out that there were others that Greg had taken advantage of.
Finally, I enlisted the aid of Rudy Mortero and I flew out to Las Vegas on 06Jun. Rudy set up a meeting with Greg and I. As a result of that meeting, Greg agreed to deliver his X to Rudy's home and to provide me with two months of payments. Neither of those actions have happened as of today. Greg is no longer communicating with Rudy or anyone else that I know of.

My total expenses are now over $4500 - more than the value of Greg's X1/9. I seriously doubt that I will ever see any of the money that I lent Greg.

The reason for the post is that I have become aware of the fact that Greg has attempted to solicit money from many people on this forum. Some have given Greg money, ranging from over a thousand dollars to twenty dollars. Other people have sold parts to Greg and never gotten paid. I will encourage those people to post their own experiences with Greg. I do not want to see anyone else victimized by Greg Silver. PLEASE do not send him money!! Greg is violating that trust that exists within this forum and that is shameful.

If any of you want to see the documentation that I have referred to in this post, please email me at mandlebaum at sbcglobal dot net.

Allen Mandlebaum

June 16th, 2008, 8:58 pm #2

I should have told this story sooner, but I did not know the extent of Greg's actions outside what he owed me. I have recently found out I was far from alone.

Greg and I had been frequent e-mailers outside of Xweb, and I had assisted him with other situations over the years. Sometimes it was just computer help, other times it was parts. I had even met him in person at Tony's get together in 2005 and seemed like decent guy to me.

Here is my story: In July of 2006 I sent Greg a set of Ansen wheels. He had been asking me to sell them to him for quite a while and I finally decided to sell them to him. He told me he was short on cash, so I told him to take his time paying me, up to a year if necessary. I gave him a pretty fair price in my estimation and I even paid the shipping up front. It is now approaching two years and I have not been paid. The total transaction was for $235 shipped, not a fortune compared to Allen's situation, but meaningful to me.

I endured 1.5 years of waiting as I watched Greg buy part after part for SoloX, while he had no money to pay me. Then I saw Tommy's "Silver Lining" post. I immediately contacted Greg to let him know I did not like the idea of him selling his car with my wheels on it. He agreed and said he would pay me from the proceeds of the sale. That was the last I heard from Greg.

Greg has obviously fallen on hard times. I can understand that, we all have financial/family issues at some point in our lives. Most of us don't scam our friends in an attempt to solve them.

I am sorry it went this way for Greg, but he chose the path for himself. If you want to help him out, at least now you will do so with your eyes open.

Jim Decker

Ed
Ed

June 16th, 2008, 9:05 pm #3

I'm going to keep this simple.

In Feb. of 08, I got an email request from Greg asking for a loan. I had positive experiences with Greg, and immediately called him back. Upon talking it seemed he needed more. I offered all that I could. $200. I Fedex'd him the check in Vegas. I had sent a Request for Payment to Greg on June 9th. No response. So, on June 14th, I again sent a request for payment. No response.

That is my experience.

Ed

June 16th, 2008, 9:28 pm #4

Over the past few years, I have greatly enjoyed this forum. I found a bunch of caring, sharing and involved people. I discovered fellow Xers who dispensed ready advice to a newbie without belittling that person's lack of knowledge. I found people who traded and - in so many cases - gave away parts to those in need. I value the friendships that I have developed on this board.

Back in the latter part of last year, Tommy Petton sent out a plea for assistance. We had all heard of Greg Silver's impending divorce and the trauma associated with that divorce. Greg needed some financial assistance and Tommy was trying to facilitate that assistance. On 11Jan, I contacted Greg. At that time, Greg stated that he needed $1500.00. Greg and I talked about the money and we agreed that I would lend Greg the $1500. based upon his leaving his X1/9 with me for collateral and also sending me the signed copy of his title, so that I could register the lien on his car.

On 16Jan, Greg contacted me and he then needed $2500. I wire transferred $2500. to Greg's account. even though I had not drawn up the papers for the loan. I trusted Greg. After all, he was a member of the forum and we are all really great and honest people.

On 05Feb, Greg contacted me and wanted to revise the loan agreement for an additional $200. But, before I could respond.......

On 08Feb, Greg contacted me and said that he had some very pressing bills and really needed $1150. I agreed that I would send more money for a total lent to Greg of $3500 plus the wire transfer fees of $24. I drew up the loan agreement for $3524. Greg had the loan agreement notarized and returned to me.

Starting around the middle of March, Greg was noticeably absent from the Xweb. I also had no communication from Greg. I received one month's payment - 21 days late. I did not receive any other payments. Greg did not surrender his car or his title to me. Greg stopped communicating with me. In the interim period, I came to find out that there were others that Greg had taken advantage of.
Finally, I enlisted the aid of Rudy Mortero and I flew out to Las Vegas on 06Jun. Rudy set up a meeting with Greg and I. As a result of that meeting, Greg agreed to deliver his X to Rudy's home and to provide me with two months of payments. Neither of those actions have happened as of today. Greg is no longer communicating with Rudy or anyone else that I know of.

My total expenses are now over $4500 - more than the value of Greg's X1/9. I seriously doubt that I will ever see any of the money that I lent Greg.

The reason for the post is that I have become aware of the fact that Greg has attempted to solicit money from many people on this forum. Some have given Greg money, ranging from over a thousand dollars to twenty dollars. Other people have sold parts to Greg and never gotten paid. I will encourage those people to post their own experiences with Greg. I do not want to see anyone else victimized by Greg Silver. PLEASE do not send him money!! Greg is violating that trust that exists within this forum and that is shameful.

If any of you want to see the documentation that I have referred to in this post, please email me at mandlebaum at sbcglobal dot net.

Allen Mandlebaum
I was contacted by Greg on February 20, 2008. He was asking for 20 bucks he said he would pay me back in a week. . I felt sorry for the guy as I know first hand how divorce is. I paypald it to him. I never heard from him again. I figured no biggie. When I saw Mac's post the other day about the transactions gone bad I had a feeling it was related to this. It really saddens me to see this happening here to good honest people. I hope he comes clean.

My Best,

Old Flame

Robert Mose

June 16th, 2008, 9:35 pm #5

Allen Mandlebaum
I hate to see someone get hosed that has reached-out to help a guy out of the goodness of their hearts. You're a good man Allen (and the rest of you too)!

I hope everyone gets their money back from this guy.

Paul Valente
Berkley, Michigan
USA

Last edited by LanciaPaul on June 16th, 2008, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ricardo
Ricardo

June 16th, 2008, 9:46 pm #6

I was contacted by Greg on February 20, 2008. He was asking for 20 bucks he said he would pay me back in a week. . I felt sorry for the guy as I know first hand how divorce is. I paypald it to him. I never heard from him again. I figured no biggie. When I saw Mac's post the other day about the transactions gone bad I had a feeling it was related to this. It really saddens me to see this happening here to good honest people. I hope he comes clean.

My Best,

Old Flame

Robert Mose
Same history, he ask for $20.00 for gas and i sent $40.00 because i knew some about his personal and financial problems. he told me "i'll send the money on a week"....
i guess he wants to loose all.. maybe his divorce affected to him more than we can see, just check all about him before starts his problems, he was neat!

Ricardo
X19/79

June 16th, 2008, 10:03 pm #7

Allen Mandlebaum
As a third party facilitating the meeting in Las Vegas, I can attest to the events that took place that night and the agreements made. Greg has been given far more ample time than he deserves to make things right. I have been encouraging him to reveal the location (street address) of his car, and he has not. He went from having a phone with unlimited minutes prior to the meeting to having a pay-per-use phone which never seems to have enough minutes to call either me or Allen after the meeting. The last text message I received from him was on Jun 13 @20:41 Pacific stating that he has 56 cents left. That is definitely going to have an effect on all you guys who lended him money to get anything back, or to get your parts sent to him paid for.

I had been friends with Greg for a couple of years and when I lived in Las Vegas, we hung out on several occassions. It was in December of 2006 when Greg first asked me to help him with about $600 he needed, but I turned him down. I simply do not lend money to friends, period. But I did find it curious around that same time he had a couple sets of wheels in his garage, some pretty fancy slotted rotors and complimentary brake parts. I made a mental note and figured that was all his business. I noticed his situation did not change much when "Project Silver Lining" was launched and quietly watched the donations pour in.

I also got the PayPal email - mine was for $10. I could not figure out how $10 minus PayPal fees was going to help so I suspected something was up. That and I thought he got a few thousand for his car. As before, I did not send any money, and when I asked him if he sold the X1/9 he said, "something like that". I kinda suspected he would be emailing others around the forum but there just wasn't a way for me to blow the whistle without looking like a jerk. When I learned of the situation, I found a very responsive Greg, both via phone and email, yet at the same time, Allen could not seem to get him to return any messages. That is how we were even able to set up the meeting in LV in the first place.

I hope there is still a chance to recover the car and any parts on it that belong to anyone here who sent them and have not been paid.

RMMJ
1986 Bertone X1/9 a.k.a BlueTooth
www.socalx.com

Pat Higginbotham
Pat Higginbotham

June 16th, 2008, 10:13 pm #8

Allen Mandlebaum
I have ever seen on this forum. My sympathies to everyone who made these gestures and material contributions to Greg. Having a trust like that broken is tough to accept.

I hate to think about Greg's feelings in having to deal with this also and hope it does not turn into resentment of those who helped him. Often this is the case-a person begins to blame those who were most generous. It is all sad,sad, sad. I don't know what his overall situation was but giving the benefit of the doubt it sounds like he got on a slippery slope of financial problems and was trying to grab any hand that would reach out for him. It's commendable that so many did and nothing can change the basic virtue that all of them demonstrated.

I hope enough of us here have had experiences of tough times,even panicky tough times to feel a bit for Greg and thoroughly appreciate what folks here were willing to do to help.

This makes every other dust-up here over the last year or two look like nothing. It would take extraordinary courage for Greg to address this openly here and I don't know if it would do any good. I really enjoyed his presence and I feel the loss of both him and a little of the innocence this place represented to me.

haywood j
haywood j

June 16th, 2008, 10:41 pm #9

Allen Mandlebaum
if all the moneys sent to him via paypal for Tony N ever made it to the party. I guess thems the brakes, the internet is full of em.

Hence, the reason for the alias.

Ed
Ed

June 16th, 2008, 11:06 pm #10

Whoa, this is a fact I didn't know. I paypal'd money for Tony. Much smaller amount than the $200. I'll have to look it up.

Ed