FIRST LOOK at the FINISHED IED X1/99

FIRST LOOK at the FINISHED IED X1/99

Mac
Mac

March 2nd, 2005, 6:08 am #1

It does look a lot more impressive in the FINISHED flesh...

Snip about it from AutoWeek:

"IED Fiat X1/99 concept
The Istituto Europeo di Design (IED) in Turin, Italy, has given us this reincarnation of the fabled 1970s X1/9 two-seater. (Ever notice how there are no more of these rust-happy tin cans running on roads anywhere anymore? It's like a Chevy Vega. Okay, maybe there are a few, but they all carry a ton of tools and parts.) Though the Punto platform is front-engined, the design looks rear-midship to us. This latter would bring it into line with the old X1/9. Grad students have put this together and heavy hitters Webasto have provided the two-piece roof. This would indicate that it's not just a play thing."

Well the whole point of what we are doing here is that it is not just a play thing! AND GUESS WHAT FIAT, IT LOOKS MID-ENGINE TO US TOO!!!

But, if Enthusiasts are going to buy them, it better BE mid-engine to match that LOOK

(and PS: SHAME on you AutoWeek! YEAH the X rusts but none left?? Obviously they haven't heard of Xweb )

More pics I am sure will be coming online from various sources in the coming days, stay tuned!

Peace, -Mac

March 2nd, 2005, 1:18 pm #2

The original computer renderings did not do the car justice - I am very impressed although I am not entirely convinced with the wrap around "targa" bar. A bit too starship enterprise for my taste - might grow on me though. Is that the Lamboghini burnt orange you see on the Diablos?

If nothing else I hope this goes down as one of the great show prototypes because it certainly looks like it deserves to!

Also surprised at the size of the car, the current Tigra (GM 2-seat roadster based on the corsa platform) looks diminutive in comparison or least this picture gives the impression that it would

78 X1/9 TNB racer
96 TVR Griffith 500
97 Ford Explorer (all round tank and tow car)
http://www.the-lair.demon.co.uk/

Mark in Syracuse
Mark in Syracuse

March 2nd, 2005, 3:57 pm #3

It does look a lot more impressive in the FINISHED flesh...

Snip about it from AutoWeek:

"IED Fiat X1/99 concept
The Istituto Europeo di Design (IED) in Turin, Italy, has given us this reincarnation of the fabled 1970s X1/9 two-seater. (Ever notice how there are no more of these rust-happy tin cans running on roads anywhere anymore? It's like a Chevy Vega. Okay, maybe there are a few, but they all carry a ton of tools and parts.) Though the Punto platform is front-engined, the design looks rear-midship to us. This latter would bring it into line with the old X1/9. Grad students have put this together and heavy hitters Webasto have provided the two-piece roof. This would indicate that it's not just a play thing."

Well the whole point of what we are doing here is that it is not just a play thing! AND GUESS WHAT FIAT, IT LOOKS MID-ENGINE TO US TOO!!!

But, if Enthusiasts are going to buy them, it better BE mid-engine to match that LOOK

(and PS: SHAME on you AutoWeek! YEAH the X rusts but none left?? Obviously they haven't heard of Xweb )

More pics I am sure will be coming online from various sources in the coming days, stay tuned!

Peace, -Mac
That is the exact color I have been thinking about putting on my X in my minds eye. Just haven't actually gone down to the color shop to check out colors but this is the color that I have envisioned for the job. My plan is to do two X's at one time.

The second X, I have not really thought too much about color, all I know is my wife wants it to be a red (not interested in old Fiat reds). I am only interested in hot or bright colors for both cars. My belief is that a car this small needs to stand out so other drivers can see the car. They are easily over looked if you get my pun.

Don't think I will have any multi color painting done...leaning towards single color paint for each car although I would not be opposed to a color blend design.

Herzel
Herzel

March 2nd, 2005, 4:10 pm #4

The original computer renderings did not do the car justice - I am very impressed although I am not entirely convinced with the wrap around "targa" bar. A bit too starship enterprise for my taste - might grow on me though. Is that the Lamboghini burnt orange you see on the Diablos?

If nothing else I hope this goes down as one of the great show prototypes because it certainly looks like it deserves to!

Also surprised at the size of the car, the current Tigra (GM 2-seat roadster based on the corsa platform) looks diminutive in comparison or least this picture gives the impression that it would

78 X1/9 TNB racer
96 TVR Griffith 500
I don't like this spaceship look. I think it lacks character, is it wild, is it sporty, is it mean, is it powerfull, is it cute?
I think it has no character of its own. But ofcourse I am no car designer. I just love my X.
Good nightHerzel
Green '85 X1/9

Mac
Mac

March 2nd, 2005, 5:20 pm #5

I look at it one moment and see elements that I do like, then I look at it again and see elements that I don't like. I am very conflicted about this car!

If it were just "some random car" it might be a lot easier to just look and accept it entirely, it is a decent looking car, for a "new" car ...

It helps to hear the designers from IED claim it is "NOT based on the X1/9!"

But being SO OBVIOUS that Fiat is determined to draw that link negates that!

My big problem is knowing it IS what Fiat might hope to produce as a descendant of the X (whether the designers intended that or not) that gives me pause and makes me say, "hm... I'm not sure about [this or that part]"

A few examples:

[+] The wraparound windshield is really growing on me, very slick looking

[-] The wraparound tail lights and butt never will, too jelly bean for an "X2"

[+] As much as I want a TARGA, I am beginning to like the folding roof idea

[-] Because of same roof and jump seat thing the profile looks way too long for "X2"

[+] The front hood lines angle up and back, sort of recalls the 'wedge' lines

[-] The nose is very TALL and FLAT in front, I would really hope for something sharper

[+] I absolutely LOVE the exhaust tips and rear grille setup, very cool, a keeper!

[-] The targa line going 100% rearward (no kink as the original) bothers me a lot

And one neutral observation, it really NEEDS some kind of air intake ahead of the rear wheel to break up all that wide open space - the easiest way to fix that would be to GIVE IT A MID-ENGINE, FIAT!!

I guess my bottom line is that, for a car with NO defined precedent, it would be a lot better, but looking at it drawing the X1/9 as the precedent, it is (as both of you mentioned) a bit too "Next Generation Starship Enterprise" for me...

On the bright side, it is the concept. If FIAT seriously moves forward to produce it with an X related name, there is still the opportunity for pre-production revisions to be made...

Peace, -Mac

Mac
Mac

March 2nd, 2005, 5:40 pm #6

That is the exact color I have been thinking about putting on my X in my minds eye. Just haven't actually gone down to the color shop to check out colors but this is the color that I have envisioned for the job. My plan is to do two X's at one time.

The second X, I have not really thought too much about color, all I know is my wife wants it to be a red (not interested in old Fiat reds). I am only interested in hot or bright colors for both cars. My belief is that a car this small needs to stand out so other drivers can see the car. They are easily over looked if you get my pun.

Don't think I will have any multi color painting done...leaning towards single color paint for each car although I would not be opposed to a color blend design.
... I am not sure "our friend" would reply to my emails anymore!

All communication stopped dead the moment it came to light that the production version would be front engined.

There was a HUGE flurry of communication back and forth all the way up to that point, and very responsive, replies were virtually immediate on nearly any question imaginable.

Then the engine thing came out. I wrote back a couple of times expressing how that would "NEVER EVER FLY" here, and the communication from that end suddenly dried up!

I have not even tried to make contact since then, nor has any contact been initiated toward me.

I could try to ask about the paint, but I doubt I would get a response now.

Maybe we would be better off if one of the IED guys here could tell us? Or if they don't know, maybe you should shoot an email to CECOMP and ask them: cecomp@cecompitalia.com

If you ask me, I would suggest that a BETTER color for your X1/9 would be to use Lamborghini's pearl metallic "California Orange" like Mark Rawlings has done on his Scorpion:

Peace, -Mac

Mac
Mac

March 2nd, 2005, 6:24 pm #7

78 X1/9 TNB racer
96 TVR Griffith 500
The wraparound windows and the LONG stretch of glass down the sides give the illusion that the car is a lot bigger than it actually is.

In reality, the X1/99 is 4060mm long, 1790 mm wide and 1293mm tall.

It is not much larger than the X1/9: 100mm longer and taller, and 200mm wider.

It would help put the car into perspective if we had some pics with people standing directly next to it (not standing 10 or 15 feet away from it). I am sure we will have even more pics soon, as more press photos filter their way onto the net.

Peace, -Mac

Mark in Syracuse
Mark in Syracuse

March 2nd, 2005, 7:10 pm #8

... I am not sure "our friend" would reply to my emails anymore!

All communication stopped dead the moment it came to light that the production version would be front engined.

There was a HUGE flurry of communication back and forth all the way up to that point, and very responsive, replies were virtually immediate on nearly any question imaginable.

Then the engine thing came out. I wrote back a couple of times expressing how that would "NEVER EVER FLY" here, and the communication from that end suddenly dried up!

I have not even tried to make contact since then, nor has any contact been initiated toward me.

I could try to ask about the paint, but I doubt I would get a response now.

Maybe we would be better off if one of the IED guys here could tell us? Or if they don't know, maybe you should shoot an email to CECOMP and ask them: cecomp@cecompitalia.com

If you ask me, I would suggest that a BETTER color for your X1/9 would be to use Lamborghini's pearl metallic "California Orange" like Mark Rawlings has done on his Scorpion:

Peace, -Mac
That picture is tough to see the color through all the shadows and where the sun does hit the car it looks yellow. The prototype color is what I have been imagining on my 80 X.

I will attempt to send an email regarding color, thanks.

March 2nd, 2005, 7:50 pm #9

The wraparound windows and the LONG stretch of glass down the sides give the illusion that the car is a lot bigger than it actually is.

In reality, the X1/99 is 4060mm long, 1790 mm wide and 1293mm tall.

It is not much larger than the X1/9: 100mm longer and taller, and 200mm wider.

It would help put the car into perspective if we had some pics with people standing directly next to it (not standing 10 or 15 feet away from it). I am sure we will have even more pics soon, as more press photos filter their way onto the net.

Peace, -Mac
those lateral dimensions sound good to me, but it sounds more like around 8 inches taller than the X with it's roof on, probably a full foot with the roof off. i bet the seating position would be rather high and like a normal chair too... nothing like the racecar/go-kart'esque feel of slipping into an X with legs almost horizontal.

March 2nd, 2005, 8:03 pm #10

around nipple height on these folk...

...and this chick is like 5'3" or 4"

<a href=http://www.socalx.com/x19/gallery/displ ... fullsize=1 target="_blank"></a>

awaiting further pics...