Engine

Engine

Tri-Master
Tri-Master

June 21st, 2008, 8:07 pm #1

I'M sure this has been asked a lot before but what kind of bigger liter engine can i put in my 1981 fiat x1/9 i know of the lancia delta but that its practically impossible to find in america. Where could i find a better engine that is common in america?

June 21st, 2008, 9:12 pm #2

im currently working on swapping these into 2 different 74 x1/9s. you could go with a non vtec setup, it would be cheaper and still fast. the k 20s also been done. its a little bigger and actually faces the right way.

reyy
longtime fiat freak
74 x1/9
san dimas, ca
USA

Kent
Kent

June 21st, 2008, 9:44 pm #3

I'M sure this has been asked a lot before but what kind of bigger liter engine can i put in my 1981 fiat x1/9 i know of the lancia delta but that its practically impossible to find in america. Where could i find a better engine that is common in america?
The Toyota 4ag, as fitted to the Mk 1 MR2 is another candidate - helped by the fact that three of the MR2 motor mounts virtually duplicate the X engine mount points. If you're swapping into a '74 X in California, you can legally use the 20-v 4ag, which makes 160-165hp. If you're using a later X here, you have to use an engine that was certified for US use - you can build up a 16v pretty easily to make 150-160hp. It's what I did for my MR2, and it has the pleasant side effect of getting 40mpg on the freeway too.

Holgi
Holgi

June 21st, 2008, 9:47 pm #4

don't know if this is available in the USA but I guess it is: Volkswagen 1.8T (1.8 Liter Turbo Gasoline Engine). Never saw this in an X1/9 but engine layout would perfectly fit (exhaust in the rear, engine on the right side ...). If someone works out the transmission/engine transition.
Easily brought up to more than 250HP ...., very small engine, light ...

H.

June 21st, 2008, 9:49 pm #5

im currently working on swapping these into 2 different 74 x1/9s. you could go with a non vtec setup, it would be cheaper and still fast. the k 20s also been done. its a little bigger and actually faces the right way.

reyy
longtime fiat freak
74 x1/9
san dimas, ca
USA
you can pour all kinds of money into a Fiat/Lancia swap and never have the power a stock Honda will give you... from what I understand swapping a Honda is not much more involved than a Fiat/Lancia swap and the conversion parts are also readily available... I think thats the way to go if you want the power these cars deserve...

June 21st, 2008, 9:58 pm #6

just grab an old turbo from a scrapyard, put a new bearing in it and stick it on there... I read here a while back that you can safely boost a 1500 7-8lbs and get some decent power... you don't need any specific turbo to get those boost levels... a muffler shop should be able to plumb that up in an hour...

June 21st, 2008, 11:15 pm #7

reyy
longtime fiat freak
74 x1/9
san dimas, ca
USA
a d15b is a good alternative, 1.5L SOHC vtec unit.. it puts out about 130hp, but can be worked up to about 150 if done right

X addict/masochist
Probablly the ONLY honda tech that drives a fiat

June 22nd, 2008, 12:08 am #8

don't know if this is available in the USA but I guess it is: Volkswagen 1.8T (1.8 Liter Turbo Gasoline Engine). Never saw this in an X1/9 but engine layout would perfectly fit (exhaust in the rear, engine on the right side ...). If someone works out the transmission/engine transition.

H.
mt son built the fastest 84 gti that ive ever driven. it was amazing. it was a twin cam 16 valve swap with cams and lots of head work. it was fast enough to beat an all wheel drive r32. that surprised me at the time. my somn also told me i could get more power from the honda then the vw. ive always been a vdub fan, but i now also believe the honda to be the best option out there.there is no motor that will fit that has a larger aftermarket supply for mods that i can think of.

reyy
longtime fiat freak
74 x1/9
san dimas, ca
USA

June 22nd, 2008, 8:59 am #9

H.
whats always made me wonder about this swap is that rover cars used vw internals in there own gearbox casing with some cars and if the mgf was one of these then there is a mid engined shift setup designed to work with vw gearbox shift patterns and mechanism which is worked by a rod linkage from the lever. also its becoming a popular swap for the lotus elise and there obviously parts available to shift the gears in one of those.

the actual engine is a real gem, depending on spec and make / model its fitted in, it turns out between 150 and 210 bhp in standard turbo form and the internals are safe up to 320 bhp

Tiff
Tiff

June 22nd, 2008, 11:42 am #10

Rover used the VW gearbox complete on its 'O' series engines,before the link up with Honda-mostly fitted to the 1600 Maestro and Montego.The later 'K' series,which is used in the 200,400 and MGF used a totally different box,but I still reckon a K series would be a fantastic engine in an X1/9!

Remeber aso the VW's has an "inside out" clutch,which would be a nightmare to modify to fit another engine.