EGR valve removal and coolant...

EGR valve removal and coolant...

John Brimley
John Brimley

April 27th, 2008, 9:08 pm #1

I am removing my EGR valve and I know that I will have to plug a water port (either with a backing plate or by tapping the port and plugging it).

Does this mean that at some point coolent will start leaking out while I am removing the EGR valve?

If so, does it occur when the EGR is unbolted from the EGR mounting base, or when the EGR mounting base is unbolted from the block?

Should I plan on loosing a lot of coolant or does it just drizzle out.

April 27th, 2008, 11:38 pm #2

As best that I can remember when I ditched this valve many years ago. Expect to loose a lot of coolant as it is the lowest part of the block. And unless you have a blanking plate with gasket made up first, you are best to either drop the coolant or catch it while you do the removal. The EGR valve has 2 different diameter bolts so the blanking plate must be made with that in mind.

TonyK Grimsby Ont Canada.

April 28th, 2008, 12:12 am #3

I am removing my EGR valve and I know that I will have to plug a water port (either with a backing plate or by tapping the port and plugging it).

Does this mean that at some point coolent will start leaking out while I am removing the EGR valve?

If so, does it occur when the EGR is unbolted from the EGR mounting base, or when the EGR mounting base is unbolted from the block?

TonyK is correct, when you remove the EGR you have opened a hole into the cooling system at the lowest point of the block's water jacket.

The easiest (and most effective) way to seal it up is by fabbing up an aluminum blockoff plate and bolting it in place of the EGR. You will need to drain the coolant for the RTV to effectively seal it up.

Steve
1x5

April 29th, 2008, 2:32 pm #4

can also be plugged by threading this hole with a M8x1.25 tap, installing a M8 bolt with crush sealing washer and sealant if required. This is easier than making a block off plate.

April 29th, 2008, 5:21 pm #5

I believe I did it this way too.