Dallara build

Dallara build

July 30th, 2008, 9:02 am #1

Hey guys

I have a currently silver x which i am sending off to get a dallara body kit fitted.

So far i have put a fresh 1500 5spd with efi in the car as well as completely new suspension arms struts everything.

Now it is time to fix the body.

I have decided on a dallara body kit and i think i want to paint it black however i am open for suggestions if anyone has pics of a dallara in another color it would be greatly appreciated. I would love some more pics of Alex's car if they are available.

I also have to decide spoiler or no spoiler

Then there is wheels i have to decide on style i am going for a modern look but still want to stick to the style of car that it is. I had a look at the x with 18" and i liked that style of wheel however i did agree that they were slightly oversized. But i did like how the car sat and the gaps between the fenders. But i want to drive the car lol so that isn't really practical so i was thinking 15 or 16" wheels. This is to give it a modern look but also to find tires.

Does anyone have a recommendation on some wheels and offset advice. I want to go no wider than 7 inches in the front and 8 in the rea so that i dont have police all over me.

Thanks guys any help would be greatly appreciated

July 30th, 2008, 11:16 am #2

Nice to see some progress - its been almost as long winded as the rebuild on my car!

Don't have any photos of the painted bodywork yet and you've seen it in the old red paint.

July 30th, 2008, 11:35 am #3

Sorry no its a different x lol. We only own 3 at the moment the race car has been sold due to a blown head gasket which was going to require pulling the motor out due to a bow. The race car sorry to say has been replaced with a nissan silvia s13 well i am not so sorry it has 4times the amount of power and is far more tune able.

This x is going to be my fun road car basically i have a renault clio sport as a daily driver.

Matt Brannon - Midwest-X19.com
Matt Brannon - Midwest-X19.com

July 30th, 2008, 3:17 pm #4

Hey guys

I have a currently silver x which i am sending off to get a dallara body kit fitted.

So far i have put a fresh 1500 5spd with efi in the car as well as completely new suspension arms struts everything.

Now it is time to fix the body.

I have decided on a dallara body kit and i think i want to paint it black however i am open for suggestions if anyone has pics of a dallara in another color it would be greatly appreciated. I would love some more pics of Alex's car if they are available.

I also have to decide spoiler or no spoiler

Then there is wheels i have to decide on style i am going for a modern look but still want to stick to the style of car that it is. I had a look at the x with 18" and i liked that style of wheel however i did agree that they were slightly oversized. But i did like how the car sat and the gaps between the fenders. But i want to drive the car lol so that isn't really practical so i was thinking 15 or 16" wheels. This is to give it a modern look but also to find tires.

Does anyone have a recommendation on some wheels and offset advice. I want to go no wider than 7 inches in the front and 8 in the rea so that i dont have police all over me.

Thanks guys any help would be greatly appreciated
You wrote that you are interested in fitting 15s or 16s in order to get a better tire selection. I hate to tell you this, but your selection will only be >minimally< better than with the 13 wheels.

You cannot run anything larger than a 195 / 50 / 15 in the front, and even that is pushing it. You will have to roll the fender lips and ditch your splash gaurd. 195 / 45 / 15 is a little better.

Then you go to the rear, looking for a 225 / 50 or so in the rear.

BFG and Hankook are the only two which offer this combination at least here in the US. Michelin did but they are NLA here in the states.

I would stay away from the 16's personally; - they are just too large for the wheel openings and would really look "hoopty". As it is, I think most 15s look hoopty...

-M

July 30th, 2008, 3:35 pm #5

Which is one of the reasons why I choose to go with the 195/45/14 Toyo T1's.

Based on previous experience, 195/50/15 on 6x15 are just a bit too big on the X. The car really wants a tire/wheel combo closer to 21", not 22". Specially in the front where clearance is a problem, rears are less of a problem.

Toyo does make a 195/45/14 T1's, and the list is very short for this tire size too.
Maybe, one day if cars get smaller and lighter in the US again, smaller performance tire sizes will appear again.

There is the R compound, DOT approved alternative. Fun while they lasted.

July 30th, 2008, 3:53 pm #6

You wrote that you are interested in fitting 15s or 16s in order to get a better tire selection. I hate to tell you this, but your selection will only be >minimally< better than with the 13 wheels.

You cannot run anything larger than a 195 / 50 / 15 in the front, and even that is pushing it. You will have to roll the fender lips and ditch your splash gaurd. 195 / 45 / 15 is a little better.

BFG and Hankook are the only two which offer this combination at least here in the US. Michelin did but they are NLA here in the states.

I would stay away from the 16's personally; - they are just too large for the wheel openings and would really look "hoopty". As it is, I think most 15s look hoopty...

-M
Since he is going with flared fenders, can't he get away with much wider rubber than 195?

JJ
JJ

July 30th, 2008, 3:59 pm #7

Here are some pics of my 74 X-19 that Shelby is putting a 1500 engine into. The original fenders appear to have been cut out of the car. Im looking to go Real wide because I have 15 inch HRE 3 piece wheels that I want to have widened. I was thinking 8 inch wide fronts with 10 inch wide in the rears... You know almost the same tire set up as a Lamborghini Countach...

[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

July 30th, 2008, 4:07 pm #8

awesome (nt)

July 30th, 2008, 6:21 pm #9

-M
My PFG body has similar clearance in the front, but you have more in the back. The top of your arches /flares have a shape that may interfere with a tire taller than 21-22. 195 45's are available as noted above and would make a great tire. http://marktg.toyotires.com/file/18966.pdf

I'm shooting for 16's
16x7+15 w/205-45 Toyo T1R's in the front , 23.2" tall(will need a 21m(.75") spacer)
16x8+0 w/235-35 Toyo T1R's in the rear , 22.8" tall (MAY need 6-15mm (.25-.675") spacer)
I have 3"L 1/2" studs. We'll see if they work.

These are rough measurements.
Fender clearance from strut/spring (coil overs) is:
(12" from hub center to of wheel arch perpendicular to the spring, taller= more rear space)
10.5 +/- .5 in the front
12.5 +/- .5 in the rear

The coil overs buy 3/4" clearance over the factory sturt/spring past 22" tall.

The car is currently sitting with 5.25" ground clearance in the front and 4.5" in the rear on 21" tall tires measured at the rails. I wanted to maintain this hight and 23" tall tires was the limit.

I'll be completing the 4x100 hub conversion by the end of August. Should have wheels and tire by the end of September.

Hope this helps.

My Fiat history:
79 2.2L Turbo'd, caged, & stripped trailer car.
77 1300 4spd, PFG body, & baja seats, fun car.
- soon to be modded. Will post progress.
PAST - 74 X - was good for parts - RIP 2004
PAST - 81 X - first project car @18 - RIP 1998

Have phun.
Phiat_X19

July 30th, 2008, 10:15 pm #10

-M
Sorry if i confused you with my ramblings but that is why i am installing the dallara body kit to accomodate for the larger wheel and tyre combo. So 15" 16" tyres here are considerably more available i was thinking of something like a 215/40 in the front and a 225/35 in the rear. That is just what i have playing in my head