crank no start

crank no start

Bill Discher
Bill Discher

August 19th, 2008, 3:37 pm #1

My X1/9 stopped running I was sitting at an intersection waiting for the light to change and it just shut of went to start her up and well crank no start .I got it towed home (thanks Mike G) started to look into it cheeked all of the essentials air, fuel, spark, timing and timing marks line up looked on xweb best off printed all info used it to cheek all sensors and there weirs mad shor all wires have continuity all good still crank no start not even a couff or chug. So my question is what nexed I must be missing something? I also cheeked compression on all 4 its good.
OH its An 82 FI

August 19th, 2008, 3:46 pm #2

Hi Bill,

There is a wire on the coil that will cause "crank no strat" issues if it comes loose. I knocked it off when changing plug wires and it took me an hour or so to figure out what I could have possibly have done just by changing plug wires. Cranked like crazy, never even coughed.

Anywho... Just a guess. This thread has some pics I posted previously.

http://www.network54.com/Forum/12159/me ... 184290530/

Good luck!!

jd

Code: Select all

1978                1986  \
[/b]
2005 FFO Photo Gallery

August 19th, 2008, 4:05 pm #3

My X1/9 stopped running I was sitting at an intersection waiting for the light to change and it just shut of went to start her up and well crank no start .I got it towed home (thanks Mike G) started to look into it cheeked all of the essentials air, fuel, spark, timing and timing marks line up looked on xweb best off printed all info used it to cheek all sensors and there weirs mad shor all wires have continuity all good still crank no start not even a couff or chug. So my question is what nexed I must be missing something? I also cheeked compression on all 4 its good.
OH its An 82 FI
This is always frustrating and seems like a mystery but its usually something pretty simple.

Start with the basics: Check the timing marks for the crank/cam/distributor, then compression, ignition and fuel. If you have all of these and it still won't run then its looking for the less than obvious.

Are you sure it has ignition AND fuel? If so, try spraying some starting fluid in the intake, hit the starter and see if you get anything.

If you have ignition AND fuel you may have too much fuel. Perhaps the pressure regulator lost its vacuum line and is therefore stuck wide open. Or perhaps the AFM is stuck shut? Or running the fuel pump all the time and spiking the fuel pressure?

Steve
1x5

August 19th, 2008, 4:10 pm #4

OH its An 82 FI
If you have no spark, check the rotor in your dizzy...

I had a similar situation in my Yugo a couple of weeks ago.. the electrode (for lack of better word) popped like a fuse.

Popped in a new rotor and I was good to go.

Andy Jossy
Medford OR

74 X 1/9

79 2000 Spider w/ IDFs

Chris in Delaware
Chris in Delaware

August 19th, 2008, 4:15 pm #5

This is always frustrating and seems like a mystery but its usually something pretty simple.

Start with the basics: Check the timing marks for the crank/cam/distributor, then compression, ignition and fuel. If you have all of these and it still won't run then its looking for the less than obvious.

Are you sure it has ignition AND fuel? If so, try spraying some starting fluid in the intake, hit the starter and see if you get anything.

If you have ignition AND fuel you may have too much fuel. Perhaps the pressure regulator lost its vacuum line and is therefore stuck wide open. Or perhaps the AFM is stuck shut? Or running the fuel pump all the time and spiking the fuel pressure?

Steve
1x5
...check for any dangling connectors.....

Bill Discher
Bill Discher

August 19th, 2008, 4:26 pm #6

Hi Bill,

There is a wire on the coil that will cause "crank no strat" issues if it comes loose. I knocked it off when changing plug wires and it took me an hour or so to figure out what I could have possibly have done just by changing plug wires. Cranked like crazy, never even coughed.

Anywho... Just a guess. This thread has some pics I posted previously.

http://www.network54.com/Forum/12159/me ... 184290530/

Good luck!!

jd

Code: Select all

1978                1986  \
[/b]
2005 FFO Photo Gallery

Bill Discher
Bill Discher

August 19th, 2008, 4:36 pm #7

If you have no spark, check the rotor in your dizzy...

I had a similar situation in my Yugo a couple of weeks ago.. the electrode (for lack of better word) popped like a fuse.

Popped in a new rotor and I was good to go.

Andy Jossy
Medford OR

74 X 1/9

79 2000 Spider w/ IDFs
on all four

Bill Discher
Bill Discher

August 19th, 2008, 4:40 pm #8

Steve
1x5
I did look at evry thing you said and more but I have not cheek for fuel pressure with a gaege so I will do that nexed

jake
jake

August 20th, 2008, 2:42 am #9

OH its An 82 FI
Do you smell gas or not?

If so, could be the coolant temp sensor. mine lost connectivity at the plug and would not fire due to massive amounts of fuel being dumped in. at an idle I would assume it would just die promply if this happened.

If not, check and see if the injectors are actually spraying. fuel pressure issue possibly.

I also had similar symptoms when a timing belt slipped. but you would see a difference with compression if the cam slipped or timing change if the
distributor gear slipped.

August 20th, 2008, 11:38 am #10

OH its An 82 FI
Did you check the fuses? You have two of them, both marked IE on the relay board. One is for the FI control and the other for the cold start valve.