Car still running hot

Car still running hot

April 25th, 2008, 5:45 pm #1

I have tried everything I can think of to make this car run cool.

Removed the radiator and had it dipped. the company who did this said it did not need to be rodded and i trust them.

Replace the overflow bottle with a stainless one and bought a new cap.

Flushed the under car hoses with a garden hose.

New antifreeze and water wetter.

New rubber hoses.

Wired the fan to be always on.

The thermostat does open at about 190 when driving at least at the beginning. I can watch the temperature drop from 190 when it opens.

Bled the system many times with the front end raised higher the the rear of the car. Both with the cap on and the cap off. By the way which way is right?

I now am ready to give up and remove the thermostat, but I have been told this might be bad.

Should I remove the thermostat or drill a hole in it?

Any other ideas?

Todd Rosenthal
Hagerstown, MD
87 X1/9
72 124 Spider
93 164S

April 25th, 2008, 5:53 pm #2

Hmmm, my first thought is you have the wrong thermostat in it. Can you give us a description of the problem? Just "running hot" doesn't tell us much.

Steve
1x5

April 25th, 2008, 5:55 pm #3

Someone stated a year or so back that the wrong cap could be an issue.

Thomas
Delaware, Ohio

BB 4RE (Now owned by Bob Brown)

My latest victim
[/IMG]

Last edited by bb4re on April 25th, 2008, 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

April 25th, 2008, 6:04 pm #4

Hmmm, my first thought is you have the wrong thermostat in it. Can you give us a description of the problem? Just "running hot" doesn't tell us much.

Steve
1x5
If I am idling the temperature creeps up to near 260 in about 5 minutes of idling after the car is already hot. The fan is blowing the correct direction, sucking air through the radiator.

Driving on the highway the car runs just over the 190 mark and stays between 190 and half way to 260.

Leaving the heater on and the fan blowing seems to help a little.

Todd Rosenthal
Hagerstown, MD
87 X1/9
72 124 Spider
93 164S

April 25th, 2008, 6:06 pm #5

Someone stated a year or so back that the wrong cap could be an issue.

Thomas
Delaware, Ohio

BB 4RE (Now owned by Bob Brown)

My latest victim
[/IMG]
I have had 3 people look at the cap and tell me it is the right one. The overflow hoses does let steam out when the temperature gets over 190.

Todd Rosenthal
Hagerstown, MD
87 X1/9
72 124 Spider
93 164S

April 25th, 2008, 7:16 pm #6

If I am idling the temperature creeps up to near 260 in about 5 minutes of idling after the car is already hot. The fan is blowing the correct direction, sucking air through the radiator.

Driving on the highway the car runs just over the 190 mark and stays between 190 and half way to 260.

Todd Rosenthal
Hagerstown, MD
87 X1/9
72 124 Spider
93 164S
OK, that tells me its not getting adequate cooling. Again, my first thought is you have the wrong thermostat.

You can't just stick any old 190 degree thermostat in it and have the system work as its supposed to.

I think Tony posted a part number for a Stant that worked correctly. Anybody have that P/N?

Steve
1x5

April 25th, 2008, 7:38 pm #7

Todd Rosenthal
Hagerstown, MD
87 X1/9
72 124 Spider
93 164S
nt

My Best,

Robert Mose

79X " Old Flame" Work In Progress

April 25th, 2008, 7:40 pm #8

mentioned in Tony's write up in Best Of:

http://www.network54.com/Forum/12159/me ... MOSTAT+102

RMMJ
1986 Bertone X1/9 a.k.a BlueTooth
www.socalx.com

Ed
Ed

April 25th, 2008, 7:50 pm #9

Removed the radiator and had it dipped. the company who did this said it did not need to be rodded and i trust them.

New rubber hoses.

The thermostat does open at about 190 when driving at least at the beginning. I can watch the temperature drop from 190 when it opens.

Bled the system many times with the front end raised higher the the rear of the car. Both with the cap on and the cap off. By the way which way is right?

I now am ready to give up and remove the thermostat, but I have been told this might be bad.

Any other ideas?

Todd Rosenthal
Hagerstown, MD
87 X1/9
72 124 Spider
93 164S
If, we do the Natoli mod, which is installing the flush tee into the heater line that goes into the head, can we bleed air there, instead of the radiator?

Thanks,

Ed

Ricardo
Ricardo

April 25th, 2008, 8:07 pm #10

New rubber hoses.

Any other ideas?

Todd Rosenthal
Hagerstown, MD
87 X1/9
72 124 Spider
93 164S
maybe i'm wrong but did you check the water pump?
and bleed and vacum the air..

Ricardo
X19/79