All MegaSquirt Fans looking for a plug-in replacement... <d/l warn>

All MegaSquirt Fans looking for a plug-in replacement... <d/l warn>

July 28th, 2008, 1:46 am #1

Check it out... (Damon & Bernice take note)

I got my kit this weekend, and since it's raining I thought I'd take advantage of the time and assemble the new
MegaSquirt. My goal is to fit it inside the Bosch Jetronic ECM and configure it as a PLUG IN REPLACEMENT with
the added advantage of including a few bells and whistles.
This project is with the latest MegaSquirt Version 3 board with all onboard options.

All STOCK signals will get wired directly to the 35-pin Bosch connector.

To my surprise, the main PCB fits nearly perfect inside the box provided you DON'T add the 9-pin and 37-pin
D connectors. As it ends up, the 9-pin connector has to be relocated anyway, and the 37-pin connector gets
replaced with point-to-point wire direct to the Bosch connector. The photo that follows doesn't show it but
there's PLENTY of room.

Here's a photo of the MegaSquirt (assembled) as it fits from the topside. You'll notice the pins on the Bosch
connector are cut to about 1/4 inch in length. Though space is limited underneath, the board fits in nicely
and leaves plenty of room for the heat sink and serial connection. The I/O wires to the Bosch Connector aren't
hooked up just yet (soon though!) and the replacement heat sink will be made to hold the entire (left) array of
power semiconductors and mount to the LEFT side rail. (photo below) Heat should be no problem.

Here's looking at it from the bottom side. You'll note a screw in the upper left of the photo that holds the
board. This is 1 of 2 tabs built into the frame. The right hand side tab was removed. Not shown is an "L"
bracket that will hold the bottom of the board.

The serial connection will run out the backside. (bottom right)

A cut was made in the Jetronic chassis to accommodate the connector. (shown above and hole shown below)

This is what the assembly looks like when the case is added: (before paint!)

Left to do: Finish up the heat sink / mount. Add a vacuum sense "outlet". PAINT THE CASE!
Wire up Bosch connector to mimic the Jetronoic.

Well, that's the short list. The board's tested and ready to go.

Message to Bernice: I don't think we'll need new board artwork just to avoid a little hand soldering. I think
this will work out well with running the appropriate wires and feeds to the connector.

Message to Damon: Thanks for the incentive! Can I have your initial settings, pretty please?

We're almost there!

Bob Brown

Damonfg
Damonfg

July 28th, 2008, 2:16 am #2

Yeah as to the initial settings -
I'll add some notes to my webpage, but I had a bad number in the mix. I've scrapped most of what I've done to date and I'm starting over. It should be up to speed in a couple of days. The PWM DC was too low to reliably push the injectors, now that it's square, they are REALLY open and it's stinkin' rich.

If you can hold off a little bit, I can send you a file that you can burn directly.

Are you running a narrow band or wide band O2 ?

July 28th, 2008, 2:27 am #3

band. That's what I remember reading but I'll go back & check. The one I got is
supposed to be for general (or standard) use.

No problem holding off for the settings, as I'm more in a rush for the connector than anything else. I'm not going to wire up the Bosch connector I have, as there's no protective plating on any of the connectors. Gotta get a replacement first...

Thanks! Bob Brown

July 28th, 2008, 2:39 am #4

I am running wide band but the fuel settings should work for you for cranking, cold start, accel enrichment,idle and part throttle. My WOT probably wont map well for you as I'm running some extra fuel enrichment up top.

Looks like the new connector will bolt right in there but I don't think the new ones have the o-ring feature.

Excellent build. If I get the 87 back on the road, it will be getting a MS as well and a drop in like this would really be the ticket.

Have you got the sim all running, and viewable in Megatune?

July 28th, 2008, 2:55 am #5

I have a seasonal waiver on my X, allowing me to run from from April 1st to Halloween with no emissions needed, so my first tweaks this winter will be a test pipe to replace the cat and a K&N cool air intake, and a megasquirt has been on my mind ever since I saw Steve Ambrose at Wayne's with his...Now that I have a FI car, a plug and play would be an awesome add on, and I have a tweaking computer all ready in the garage. If this would go into production for an X, I would be right there....

Carl Auer - 82 FI X1/9
Seattle X1/9 member #50
Professional Photographer based in South Central Alaska
http://www.digital-eos.com

July 28th, 2008, 2:57 am #6

I am running wide band but the fuel settings should work for you for cranking, cold start, accel enrichment,idle and part throttle. My WOT probably wont map well for you as I'm running some extra fuel enrichment up top.

Looks like the new connector will bolt right in there but I don't think the new ones have the o-ring feature.

Excellent build. If I get the 87 back on the road, it will be getting a MS as well and a drop in like this would really be the ticket.

Have you got the sim all running, and viewable in Megatune?
I only hooked it up to test the sections as I built it.

Going forward, I have to wire up a Bosch connection to use it.

-Bob Brown

Matt Brannon - Midwest X1/9
Matt Brannon - Midwest X1/9

July 28th, 2008, 3:00 am #7

I got my kit this weekend, and since it's raining I thought I'd take advantage of the time and assemble the new
MegaSquirt. My goal is to fit it inside the Bosch Jetronic ECM and configure it as a PLUG IN REPLACEMENT with
This project is with the latest MegaSquirt Version 3 board with all onboard options.

To my surprise, the main PCB fits nearly perfect inside the box provided you DON'T add the 9-pin and 37-pin
D connectors. As it ends up, the 9-pin connector has to be relocated anyway, and the 37-pin connector gets
replaced with point-to-point wire direct to the Bosch connector. The photo that follows doesn't show it but
there's PLENTY of room.

Here's a photo of the MegaSquirt (assembled) as it fits from the topside. You'll notice the pins on the Bosch
connector are cut to about 1/4 inch in length. Though space is limited underneath, the board fits in nicely
and leaves plenty of room for the heat sink and serial connection. The I/O wires to the Bosch Connector aren't
hooked up just yet (soon though!) and the replacement heat sink will be made to hold the entire (left) array of
power semiconductors and mount to the LEFT side rail. (photo below) Heat should be no problem.

Here's looking at it from the bottom side. You'll note a screw in the upper left of the photo that holds the
board. This is 1 of 2 tabs built into the frame. The right hand side tab was removed. Not shown is an "L"

A cut was made in the Jetronic chassis to accommodate the connector. (shown above and hole shown below)

Left to do: Finish up the heat sink / mount. Add a vacuum sense "outlet". PAINT THE CASE!

Message to Bernice: I don't think we'll need new board artwork just to avoid a little hand soldering. I think
this will work out well with running the appropriate wires and feeds to the connector.

Message to Damon: Thanks for the incentive! Can I have your initial settings, pretty please?

We're almost there!

Bob Brown
Hi Bob,

Very nice work. Looks familiar, as I am lucky enough to have a couple of orignal "John Allen" boxes. Having not stayed up on the latest Megasquirt kits, do they have anything yet with a direct USB interface?

You won't find many computers with 9-pin input connectors anymore, and finding a USB-to-9-pin convertor can be tough.

Looks really good, thanks for the update!

-M

Bob Brown
Bob Brown

July 28th, 2008, 3:36 am #8

I'll email you tomorrow with details.

Bob Brown

John Allen
John Allen

July 28th, 2008, 4:08 am #9

there's PLENTY of room.

We're almost there!

Bob Brown
first, it looks great, you have the same idea as I had when I made up the original kits.... Mine were based on the older v2.2 boards, but they are the same physical size.

Before you get too far, I would look at how you plan to wire the board to the connectors, there isn't much space there. I ended up reversing the board so the 9pin is under the Bosch 35pin and routed the jumper wires around the side of the chassis. It is MUCH easier to do that than to try and manipulate the short wires you are looking at.

Looking forward to seeing your completed project! let me know if I can help in any way.

Albert
Albert

July 28th, 2008, 4:32 am #10

there's PLENTY of room.

We're almost there!

Bob Brown
Really,if interested in building and selling this,please do consider me as a potential,very potential customer!!!!!.....so add me to the list!!!..............Albert