What are you doing with nurgle?

Tactics, strategy, or general musings 40K

What are you doing with nurgle?

Marandamir
Bloodcrusher
Marandamir
Bloodcrusher

Apr 27 2018, 08:38 PM #1

Hey fellas.  I fielded nurgle in a game the other day and it was mostly demons with a spearhead detachment of death guard to get some of the blight heavy support tanks so I could have some ranged shooting.  My feel overall is there are some pretty solid combos make nurgle pretty scary.

20+ man units of plaguebearers give a -1 to hit them.  Combine this with the -1 to hit psychic power and you got a -2 to hit in both shooting and fight phases.  Scabbiathrax (while horribly overpriced) has a buff that provides an additional -1 to hit (totally of -3).  This can really frustrate your opponent's offense, especially when you factor in their durability on the shots that do hit.  usually plague bearers suffer on their own offense but the recent codex really helped them out in that regard.  While they don't have a ton of attacks they can dish out a PILE of damage.  Pop the banner for 2 damage per wound.  Virulent blessing for +1 to wound and x2 damage on wound rolls of 7+ and the nurgle loci for +1 damage on wound rolls of 6+.  That is 5 damage for a single poke from a plague marine.  Their plague weapons also give them rerolls on wounds to help ensure their pokes count.

The beasts of nurgle seem to have an obvious combo with the slimux character and sloppitty bilepiper buffs.  Bonuses to hit, creating those nurgle trees to provide advance + charge and cover.  Those beasts are pricy but they actually have weight of fire possibilities with their D6 attacks.  Plus I think there is hidden merit in their heroic intervention like a character rule.  The way that rule reads is you can do a 3" move after the opponents charge moves are over.  that means even if they make 0 charge moves you can slide into assault.  This makes beasts a very annoying harrassment unit as enemies need to stay 3.1" away otherwise they'll get pulled into combat and with the various buffs (including those mentioned for plaguebearers) I think you can get some mileage out of beasts.

The last of course is epidimus.  His tally is pretty amazing for an army wide bonus.  With the latest faq as well you are allowed to resummon him and depending on how you interpret the tally rule it may not reset (as it is set to 0 before the game) so having the tally 'removed' when he died and return when he is resummoned it may still be set to its original value (or set to nothing and is non functional?  who knows with GW rules :P).

I think there is synergy with death guard as well.  Get a 20 man plague bearer rule behind that -2 to hit plaguebearer unit and use that strategem that prevents it from being targeted.  Casually walk up the field and then wreck face with plague grenade bombardments or bubotic axe assaults from a full strength unit.  The nurgle horn can also replenish plague bearers that die as well if the character gets any kills.

I'm liking nurgle a lot more.  I do have concerns about their lack of shooting outside of death guard.  What are you guys doing with them?