Every Tzeentch model ever - Project Change

Share your inspiration

Every Tzeentch model ever - Project Change

Curis
Horror
Curis
Horror

Jan 11 2010, 07:21 AM #1

On 9th September 2009 I started Project Change over on Ninjabread - an attempt to collect and paint one of every Tzeentch model ever produced under the Games Workshop banner. One Tzeentch-aligned model every nine days until I had one of everything.

********* ********* ********* ********* ******** ********* ********* ********* *********

Wednesday, 9 September 2009
Project Change I

Today I started my new slow-burn collecting project that will focus on the Chaos God Tzeentch.

My first model is one of the second generation of Blue Horrors from 1997.

The end goal is to build a collection of every Fantasy and 40K scale model aligned to Tzeentch. At the end of this I will have a large collection of models, but not an army per se.

This isn't a modelling project at the moment. I'm very happy taking models as they are 'off-the-shelf'. There are a lot of daemon armies with a twist at the moment, but I don't feel the need to intrinsically stamp my own identity on the models. I've got a collecting urge.

********* ********* ********* ********* ******** ********* ********* ********* *********

Friday, 18 September 2009
Project Change II

My second project Change model is one of the first generation of Tzeentch Daemons - the 1988 Blue Horror 'Warpgrunter". I experimented with the turquoise colour I used on the bubble of my first horror, which combines nicely with the pink.

The original Blue Horror models were scultped by Kev Adams, the sculptor most recognised for his work on the early Ork ranges. His signature was big gurning faces. The first and second generation Horror models were very similar, and might even work alongside each other in a regiment. The difference with the Blue Horrors is they lost the suckered fingers and their feet shrunk from ten toes each to just four.

Sunday, 27 September 2009
Project Change III

Next in line for my Tzeentchian forces is a classic Rogue Trader Renegade. Photographed against a much better blue fade background than previous blog entries.

I love these old models. The original Chaos Renegade range oozed character and individuality. And they were goofy. I love goofy models.

Tzeentch doesn't have any real signature colours, Well, odd really as Tzeentch's lesser daemons are the only ones whose name actually specifies a colour. Oh, and thinking about it Magnus the Red also is spectrally defined. I digress.

Well, post-Heresy Thousand Sons are always done in blue and gold scheme to evoke the Egyptian archetype. I fancied red and gold (which are quite close to pre-Heresy Thousand Sons, though this guy's not necessarily one of them). But I didn't want it looking like my Blood Angel captain or a Khorne worshipper. So I headed in the pink direction, but not enough to make it look Slaneeshi.

Tuesday, 6 October 2009
Project Change IV

Back to the Daemons with another first generation Blue Horror. I did it in a light blue scheme, that still looks quite vivid and fits with the rest of the army.

I also copied Carl Woodrow's idea for using War of the Ring movement trays for display purposes. Shame they're not 10mm narrower else they'd be great to rank up models for Warhammer Fantasy.

Thursday, 15 October 2009
Project Change V

Another first generation Blue Horror in the traditional Enchanted Blue scheme. Boring.

But what's not boring is the tuft of grass front centre. Yes! A tuft of grass. I have a problem with static grass in that it tends to look flattened. The effect of static grass is that static electricity pricks the strands on end, so they stand up like real grass. Mine just looks trampled. And I came across a German company - Fredericus Rex - who produce pre-made tufts of grass in all sorts of lengths and colours. I went crazy and ordered every variety of dried grass available. Real nerd shopping spree.

Bit too big for the individual 25mm bases (you tend to lose the feet and make the model look like he's about to stumble on a small bush), but great on movement trays and bigger bases.

Anyone got any tips for making my static grass stand up on end?

Saturday, 24 October 2009
Project Change VI

Another Generation One Blue Horror! Worshipping the Chaos God of Change is now seeming quite repetitive. But these classic models are so quick to paint on account on their diminutive size.

This Horror I experiemented with a different style of painting. I added white blotches in between the glazes to get a mottled skin effect. I was copying it from my Realms of Chaos books, where it's used to paint several different daemons. Not too keen, but I may experiment some more.

Monday, 2 November 2009
Project Change VII

And this morning, it's something that isn't a Tzeentch demon to add to the project file. I present, Bowie Inconstatine - Champion of Tzeentch.

Champion of Tzeentch! Yes, he has been blessed with the Hand of Tzeentch and Bird's Feet. They're blatantly on the miniature, and some others like Withering Gaze are difficult to model, and I'm a stickler for wysiwyg. I did his armour (which may or may not be Chaos Armour at this point) in the classic Tzeentchian blue and gold scheme, that's really come to the fore as the Thousand Sons developed their Egyptian vibe.

And because I'm super awesome cool, I've also transliterated his name into the Dark Tongue's phonetic Runes with the help of the language section in The Lost and the Damned.

Not too sure about the runes for e and i, so I may change that. And I might kern some of the letters too. There wasn't a typographical notes about kerning in the book. I don't think you can kern runes. I think more research is in order.

Wednesday, 11 November 2009
Project Change VIII

It's the eighth Tzeentchian model in Project Change - a Generation 2 Pink Horror. This is one of the models I stripped a while back. I've not painted a second generation Horror since the first model way back when, so it's nice to return to more modern models. I say modern - they're dated 1997. Eep. time to get some Generation 3 Daemons.

Stoner eyes Horror

A straightforward pink scheme made from GW's foundation Mechrite Red highlighted with VGC's Pale Flesh and glazed with reds and purples. I particularly enjoyed doing the scary eyes. The big bloaty hands are difficult to do as there's very little shape and definition to them. Unlike the sharp features of the rest of the model there's nowhere obvious to highlight.

It's been a while since the last group shot, and now there are eight models I have enough to fill up a whole WotR movement tray.

Lovely!

Friday, 20 November 2009
Classic Lord of Change - Project Change IX

The ninth update for Project Change. That means something a bit special. A classic first generation Lord of Change - the Greater Daemon of Tzeentch.

He's mounted on a 40mm round base, but I've also made him a special 50mm square base with a circle cut out which he slots snugly inside should I ever want to use him for games of Warhammer Fantasy.

Seeing this now brings home a little how plain my basing scheme is. I need something to jazz it up a little. And maybe rework the grass.

Working through Citadel 1991 Catalogue 2 it turns out there are a colossal 36 different combinations of the first Lords of Change - (6 heads x 3 bodies x 2 tails x 1 wings = 36). I am considering collecting and assembling them all. Though collecting just six to showcase each of the different heads may be enough. I shall enjoy agonising over it for a few months.

Sunday, 29 November 2009
Fledgling Horror Squad- Project Change X

And so, by accident I've assembled my first game-legal unit in Project Change - five Blue Horrors. That's a troop choice under the current Codex Chaos Daemons. (Well, technically not as they say Blue Horrors should be mounted two to a 25mm base but boo sucks. I'll probably get round this by insisting we all play second edition 40K where they had rules for splitting.)

Yes, this is yet another Generation One Blue Horror. Rather than painting the arms from the elbow up as pink as I have with the other four I tried another shade of blue. Honestly, I'm not too keen but I can always change it later.

I've also started carving out the ends of the fingers on my Horrors, rather than painting them as holes. I need to go back and change the others eventually.

In other news, I've just come back from the Epic UK Grand Tournament where spookily I ranked ninth. More on this awesome event tomorrow.

Tuesday, 8 December 2009
Tzeentch Familiar - Project Change XI

When's a Pink Horror smaller than a Blue Horror? When it's Epic scale.

Look at his big cute smile. Grinning loon, like one of those giant cartoon M&Ms. You can see why this generation of Epic Chaos models have been swept under the carpet. That, and the fact that for a 6mm wargame they were ridiculously out of scale.

So, this Epic Pink Horror can also double as Bowie Inconstatine's familiar of Tzeentch. There are several familiar models Workshop have produced for Tzeentch, but none of them are quite the "miniaturised form of a Horror" Realm of Chaos: The Lost and the Damned makes them out to be.

And because I felt like one tiny Epic model was a real con for the latest Project Change update, I also did an old Dark Elf Harpy. In a pasty pink colour that combined with the lumps around his groin makes me want to itch.

"But that's not Tzeentch. That's not even proper Chaos." I hear you cry. Well, this gem from Marauder Miniatures (yes, not Citadel) was originally a Dark Elf Harpy - one of the descendants of an outcast tribe that settled in Naggaroth near Karond Kar. But in 1997 Harpies were also available to Chaos armies (as scavengers from the Northern Wastes). Ahhh - so they can be proper Chaos. And maybe this model could be used to represent a Chaos Fury - one of the undivided Daemons that conforms to the gargoyle archetype. Perhaps. Maybe. Possibly.

Thursday, 17 December 2009
Finally - Modern Pink Horrors - Project Change XII

Something more modern for Project Change - a Generation 3 Pink Horror (far right - the other models are a Generation 1 Blue Horror and a Generation 2 Pink Horror). Wow, this is not the normal crazy retro lead I obsess over, but sleek and sensible modern miniatures without big goofy grins.

Well, I say modern - these models have tab dates of 2001, and they're also in the tiny part of the current Citadel range that's still in metal. Here's hoping for plastic Horrors with the rumoured second wave of Daemons.

I have to say , this model isn't great. This is my second attempt at painting one of this generation of Horrors, and both times I've been frustrated at the indistinct detailing. Not indistinct in the gribbly Tzeentch way of "ARGH THIS ARM IS MY MOUTH AND IT'S COVERED IN EYES", but in a subtley-detailed way that's largely lost in the molding and casting process. There are warbly bits I'm not sure if I should file off because they're tentacles or feedlines. There are what I imagine started as sharp crisp details that have been rendered down to smarbly indistinct metal wibbles during the production process. Not that fun to paint when you're trying to be a perfectionist. Maybe by the time I get round to doing the others I'll be used to the quality of the casts.

Haha - just got to work out how many variations of these models there can be with all the arms and horns.

And I now have nine horrors of various generations and scales.

Saturday, 26 December 2009
Classic Flamer of Tzeentch - Project Change XIII

Back in September 1989, White Dwarf 117 had a page chock full of models painted and photographed by Fraser Gray - a suitably gothic-looking man whose backdrops probably served as the inspiration for the current range of 40K terrain pieces.

And among the weird Tzeentch conversions were the two Flamer-based ones above I've nicked the colour scheme from. (The prototype Flamer made me wonder if originally the Horror bodies were designed to fit on the Flamer torsos, but playing around with them I conclude not.) So here's my unconverted tribute. It's come out quite differently as I was really trying to veer away from painting my model red.

Now to add it to the WotR movement trays I line up the Project Change models in. Or is there a better way to display them?

Another of my hobbies is browsing discount toy shops for cheap Transformers knock-offs. On one such stupid adventure I found a Jungle Rack playset.

I bought it in a flash and hurried home excitedly. Some glue, sand, drybrushing, grassing and bushing later I had a gorgeous tiered display piece of just the right size and shape to put in my glass display cabinets.

First attempt at drybrushing a terrain type of thing for a long while, so it was a learning experience. I want some more subtlety which I might achieve with weathering powders. I also want more Jungle Rack playsets, if not least to melt down the tiny plastic lions with matches.

Monday, 4 January 2010
G2 Flamer of Tzeentch - Project Change XIV

Hailing from the depths of 1995 comes this Marauder Miniatures Flamer of Tzeentch. This one in an experimental pale chalky scheme that's an attempt to copy the studio scheme from the 1997 Realm of Chaos.

Marauder Miniatures?! They're not Games Workshop. Well, back in the days Marauder was brand that Warhammer miniatures sculpted by Ali and Trish Morrison were distributed under. They were gradually subsumed back into Citadel in 1993 (according to Source of Legends), though these models are tabbed Marauder and 1995. Who knows. Actually, I'm fascinated to learn the reasons behind the split and subsequent reabsorption.

I recently discovered thanks to the Collecting Citadel Miniatures Group that Marauder also produced a pair of Greater Daemons - one for Khorne and one for Tzeentch. I'm rather excited, as there have been several Lords of Change knocking around eBay that I've dismissed as knock-offs. But no! They are official Games Workshop models. And ones I go rabid for as they're obscure and retro. If anyone out there's got a photo of the Khorne one, I'd love to see it.

AGPO
Daemonette
AGPO
Daemonette

Jan 11 2010, 12:32 PM #2

Top work dude, these old minis really are a blast from the past. Are they part of your old collection or are you sourcing retro stuff?

Curis
Horror
Curis
Horror

Jan 11 2010, 04:39 PM #3

Ta! Bit of both. I ran a Tzeentch Daemon army back in 5th edition under the black Realm of Chaos book, with twenty flamers, two Daemon Princes and a large unit of Spawn. And I also had a Thousand Sons army in 2nd and 3rd edition 40K which I'm plundering and stripping back. But I estimate there are about 300 Tzeentch models to collect so most of them will be sourced in the secondhand market. I've already had one friend donate his old G1 Horrors, and my housemate gift me a Lord of Change.

Donum Agri
Daemonette
Donum Agri
Daemonette

Jan 12 2010, 05:29 AM #4

Consider your stolen idea for display stolen again. Really like the idea, how the models have come out and that you are experimenting with different paint schemes.

Curis
Horror
Curis
Horror

Jan 13 2010, 07:58 AM #5

Wednesday, 13th January 2009
First G1 Pink Horror- Project Change XV

This little fella's called Screamer. But he's not a Screamer, which is also one of Tzeentch's daemons (unbound Discs of Tzeentch), but rather a Horror called Screamer. Most the G1 minor daemons had individual names, and this is Screamer. Confused?

I feel this guy needs to be modelled as part of a diorama with a little plaque that reads, "It was this long".

As most my <a href="http://www.ninjabread.co.uk/2009/11/fle ... x.html">G1 Blue Horrors</a> follow the scheme of blue with pink arms, I thought I'd try reversing it for the Pinks. I also feel that that the arms should change colour again at the knuckles. I, however, do not feel that the fingers should have bits of static grass stuck on them as the photo above has. Oops.

There are three variations on Screamer (and indeed all the Pink Horrors of Tzeentch) as there were three sets of legs each of the twelve bodies could be plonked atop. This means there are 36 variations on the original Pink Horrors which will mean years of trawling eBay and pestering people for close ups of their legs.

And now, here's all three generations of Pink Horror alongside each other.

Notice how the first two iterations are broadly similar and could be mixed together in the same regiment, and how the third is a complete and very wibbly departure. (And notice how the G2 Horror in the middle needs to be modelled as part of a diorama with a little plaque that reads, "It was about this tall".)

Curis
Horror
Curis
Horror

Jan 31 2010, 09:08 PM #6

Friday, 22 January 2010
Maynard Flux, Champion of Tzeentch - Project Change XVI

Presenting Maynard Flux, oldskool Champion of Tzeentch. Warrior, sorcerer, winemaker.

His marble-effect book I've decided is a spell book, so he gets The Gift of Magic. I quite like the effect, which I needed to break up the undetailed surface of the book. Well, I say undetailed, due to a combination of casting defects, the age of the model and being stripped it's not at all crisp or clean, so it needed a pattern. I'd like to try it on larger models with flat surfaces, like Eldar, or an oldskool Land Raider, or maybe some Retribution Myrmidons.

Maynard also has Featureless Face, and Rune of Tzeentch. The rune happens to be on his featureless face, meaning it isn't so featureless - but this is okay as THIS IS THE CONTRADICTORY NATURE OF TZEENTCH. That, and a wizard did it.

And (like Inconstantine Bowie) he deserves the runes to spell out his name and describe his attributes.

Painting one of these old Champions of Tzeentch is a welcome break from all the Daemons of late. Though, there are so many more Daemon models aligned to Tzeentch than there ever were Chaos Warriors. I may get round this by collecting five different versions of each champion - one on foot and four on each of the different Discs of Tzeentch.

Curis
Horror
Curis
Horror

Jan 31 2010, 09:40 PM #7

Sunday, 31 January 2010
Tzeentch Doom Wing - Project Change XVI

Another foray with the teeny-tiny aircraft. I think it's because I saw Top Gun recently.

The Doomwing was one of the three Dave Andrews Tzeentch-specific Daemon Engines released in March 1993 - the other two being the Fire Lord and the Silver Tower. The concept of welding technology and warp creature together was never introduced properly into 40K-scale until a decade later with the plastic Defiler kit in 2003.

The Doom Wing was a small interceptor armed with a Flame Cannon. Quite how it shot down other aircraft using forward-firing gouts of fire puzzles me, but both fire and flight are Tzeentch's trademarks.

It carried over the horse skull vibe from the earlier Tzeentch-aligned 40K and Fantasy models.

The colour scheme was inspired by the cover artwork for Queen Rocks.

It would have been perhaps more fitting for the larger Fire Lord model which has more flat surfaces to have fun blending, and also the word "fire" in its name. Oops.

Curis
Horror
Curis
Horror

Feb 9 2010, 11:23 PM #8

Another smiley-happy Trish Morrison Blue Horror of Tzeentch (far left). Now I have two so I can split a G2 Pink Horror in half in games and have everything I need to represent it. This pleases me.

This model is a particular favourite of mine as I got it way back in 1997 when Gorkamorka was released. I'd ordered my Gorkamorka boxed set from Mail Order, and as a treat they threw in this very Horror with a note something along the lines of, "This is coming out soon, have it for free". I painted him up even before I did my Gorkamorka mobs and used him as a sidekick for my Warhammer Quest barbarian hero - Pugnax the Pugnacious.

I'm trying a colder blue at the moment, as until now my models have had mostly warm schemes. I would like to do something more with the orange than just the eyes, so I tried the daemon-jewelery in a copper, but it didn't work. And it puzzles me why they wear jewelery. Where does it come from? Did Trish simply sculpt it on in order to hide the rough bits of the sculpt?

gjnoronh
Lord of the Skull Throne
gjnoronh
Lord of the Skull Throne

Feb 10 2010, 01:18 AM #9

man this is freaking awesome stuff I have a lot of these old minis and they are great Maynard Flux also came on a disc if I remember correctly.
Are we in a golden Age of Fantasy? Check this out
http://www.belloflostsouls.net/2015/07/ ... n-age.html

Trogdor
Lord of the Skull Throne
Trogdor
Lord of the Skull Throne

Feb 10 2010, 03:52 PM #10

Most excellent. You are a wonderful painter and your style really looks nice on those old Tzeentch models. That jungle display piece is ace!! Gonna keep my eyes open for something as cool and usable as that. Keep it up and please keep sharing your updates. Looking forward to seeing what you do next!
And Trogdor smote the Kerrek and all was laid to Burnination!

If the Gods want a man to live
No one can kill him

If the Gods want a man to die
No one can save him

If I am hunting you
The Gods want you dead

squalie
Greater Daemon
squalie
Greater Daemon

Feb 10 2010, 05:07 PM #11

I could look at well-painted OOP figs all day. Which means I've been looking at yours all day..... :)

I love the feeling of nostalgia.
"Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face."
Mike Tyson

Curis
Horror
Curis
Horror

Feb 18 2010, 08:56 AM #12

Maynard Flux could come with a Disc gjnoronh, in fact his tab was specially designed to slot into them. But he was also available on foot. I fancy painting another four versions of him on each of the different Discs.

He's also currently available from Games Workshop as part of the Collector's Chaos range, which is heartening to know.

Trogdor - I've just started experimenting with weathering powders too so I can improve that Jungle Display Rack. Here's some over-egged Rogue Trader Marines that've been through the wars.

Curis
Horror
Curis
Horror

Feb 18 2010, 09:14 AM #13

Thursday, 18 February 2010
G2 Pink Horror of Tzeentch Champion - Project Change XIX

Trish Morrison's Pink Horror Champion. His trademark grin was self-inflicted because he wanted to show his facially-scarred girlfriend he still found her attractive.

I can't put my finger on when Lesser Daemons first got their Champions, as I still need to find a copy of 4th edition Fantasy's Warhammer Armies Chaos. But I know the first official Daemon command models came out in 1997. (Ahhh. 1997 - when Minotaurs had great models.)

The Pink Horror Champion had an extra WS, BS, S, I and A over the standard Pink Horror. This was back in 5th edition Warhammer Fantasy, when Champions could regularly take magic items of their own rather than just being the guy at the front with a different name and an additional attack. But Daemon Champions couldn't take magic items (unless they were a Daemon Battle Standard Bearer) and didn't get access to any Daemonic Rewards (the Daemons' equivalent of Magic Items). And so, with the exception of the improved stats, I can't work out why people took them.

In modern Fantasy the Pink Horror Champion has been renamed to Iridescent Horror, and can also be fielded in 40K. There is no model for Iridescent Horrors yet, or Heralds of Tzeentch, so the Pink Horror Champion tends to crop up in both these roles. (Though the cheaper and more common approach is just painting a Pink Horror a different shade of pink - tsk.)

I did originally feel a little guilty that so much of Project Change seems to be Daemons. So, I counted up all the models the Project's scope includes, and then counted how many of them are categorised as Daemon. It's a whopping 83% at present (not including the Daemon Engines, dragons possessed by daemons, sorcerers riding bound daemons or those weird Man O'War things I really ought to research more). And, as with this model only 74% of the models I've done so far are classified as Daemon, so I'm actually under quota.

And, I realised that two Horrors ago I collected enough to field a 7th edition Fantasy regiment. Here they all are on a movement tray celebrating their new-found gamable status.

This is one of my Warhammer frustrations - you spend an age painting your army, only those not in the front rank to be hidden away where the painting goes unnoticed.

gjnoronh
Lord of the Skull Throne
gjnoronh
Lord of the Skull Throne

Feb 18 2010, 04:05 PM #14

Again just awesome. Mike McVey GW's staff painter back in the day was rumored to only really work on the fronts of the models - because the backs weren't visible in the staged photos they did for White dwarf.
Are we in a golden Age of Fantasy? Check this out
http://www.belloflostsouls.net/2015/07/ ... n-age.html

Curis
Horror
Curis
Horror

Feb 27 2010, 11:27 PM #15

Saturday, 27 February 2010
Micro Flamer of Tzeentch - Project Change XX

Yellow is an interesting colour. Doubly so when shaded with the gaudy Warlock Purple. Would you experiment with that combination? I have. Here's a 1990 Epic Tzeentch Flamer adopting the guise of Maynard Flux's Daemonic Familiar.

Interesting? Lurid? Psychedlic? Well, I'm a little glad I didn't do it on a larger model. Maybe a more sophisticated approach is called for. And now I realise that going forward I should avoid painting any of Tzeentch's bird minions in yellows to avoid comparisons with Sesame Street.

I noted with the Epic scale Pink Horror that this generation of Chaos models were laughably out of scale. Let me explain this a little more. Epic is nominally a 6mm wargame, meaning the average trooper measures in at about 6mm. Here's the Epic Flamer next to an Epic Dark Angel Hunter.

Why this hideous scale fail?

Theory One - the Epic Chaos Daemons were done at a time when Games Workshop were simplifying the amount of detailing on their Epic-scale models for ease of mass production. This meant chunkier details, less details, and bigger models (all the better to put big chunky details on).

Theory Two - Epic is out of scale with itself. People complain about not being able to fit ten Marines inside a Rhino in 40K. Well, try putting thirty 6mm Marines inside a Thunderhawk only 10mm long. Epic models were more abstract counters representing the troop types present on the battlefield, rather than being scale models.

Theory Three - Chaos Daemons should be this big all the time, it's the 28mm ones that are scaled wrong.

Well, anyway, Games Workshop corrected it in 1998 with the Epic 40K plastic Chaos sprues. Here's a comparison shot.

This is one of the few examples of Games Workshop's models getting smaller over time.