adding CSM allies

Share and discuss your 40K army lists here

adding CSM allies

returnofirv
Lil' Nurgling
returnofirv
Lil' Nurgling

16 Mar 2017, 15:57 #1

I had my first game with my nurgle daemons last night and won (yay) - although it took a while to get my head around the extra rules etc - I probably ended up getting a lot wrong.

My army played well, although afterwards I felt it needed a bit more shooty, so Im wondering on getting some nurgle CSM allies to keep it fluffy.

I ran:

Ku'gath
GUO

10 PBs
10 PBs
10 PBs
Nurglings

3 Beasts of nurgle (3 units)

3 Plaguedrones

Daemon Prince
Soul Grinder

The DP and SG were not that great, the former as he was pretty slow moving. My plan is to drop my daemon HS and add some CSM:

* 10 nurgle CSM in rhino
* CSM predator
* DP Nurgle with wings
* something else shooty

Is this a standard tactic to add punch to mono daemons?

FeeZ
Greater Daemon
FeeZ
Greater Daemon

26 Mar 2017, 10:12 #2

I know this is incredibly old, but what the hell.

I think Daemon Princes need to be fielded in groups, or fly around with Iron Arm (which you can't guarantee) to be truly effective. Otherwise they suffer the same problems as any mono MC in the game - they get picked off. Daemon Princes are imo incredibly fragile too other than of course Iron Arm/4+ FNP EW power.

Fortunately, Daemon Princes of Nurgle do have 2+ Jink saves though (JInk + Shrouded special rules stack); which does go somewhat to fixing that issue, and best of all, allows them to skirt around in gliding mode with almost impunity (unless you're fighting Tau/Ignores Cover). They also; if they're Psykers,get Stream of Corruption for free and get to use a Balesword as a daemon gift, so they're actually pretty damn killy too. To be clear; I think Daemon Princes of Nurgle taken from the Chaos Daemons codex to be far superior than the one taken from the CSM codex, even after taking into account Traitor Legions.

As to whether adding CSM's to add punch to mono daemons and whether it's standard; I don't think so. Competitively speaking, mono daemon armies are very rare. Most take a CAD and fill it with a mix of say Pink Horrors, Nurglings or Plaguebearers for either warp battery or objective holding (which they aren't all that much better at imo). Now that we've got Blue Horrors as actual models again, and Brimstones, I think even those will get a look in, especially in summoning armies.

If you want shooty, I probably wouldn't go Nurgle CSM.
Special thanks to Kerrygan for the avatar pic!

Marandamir
Bloodcrusher
Marandamir
Bloodcrusher

27 Mar 2017, 22:08 #3

yeah, i concur. Nurgle demon princes are amazing if used right. You don't need to spam them as spamming tends to overlap their function too much. You take them as ML 3, wings, with a balesword and another gift. They stay gliding and jink everything for 2+ cover saves and roll their psychic powers on malfic for summons/cursed earth or just go all biomancy to try to get iron arm and other blessings. Shooting attacks are kinda meh since you'll likely be jinking alot. You then fly in and start swinging your S6 AP 2 poisoned weapon that causes instant death at init 8 or 9 or whatever silly init princes have. They carve through most stuff quickly and you just gotta watch out for specialty units or weapons that could hurt your prince. Like you challenge the power fist sergents or ensure you got iron arm for T8 and S9 before you fight.

I feel the same way about great unclean ones. They basically are slow assault monsters with good survivability. Iron arm gets em to T10 which is no joke but there are still lots of stuff out there that ignore high Toughness like D weapons, poison, deathmarks, etc. They dont' come with Feel no pain and have no shooting outside of psychic power which means they really are just an tough assault MC. Their cost alot and are hard to make their points back if you don't get lucky with your deep strikes.

Personally I would advice just taking the demon prince as your HQ and dropping the GUO (unless you really like them) and spend the GUO points on some CSM stuff that would help with mobility or shooting.

Oh, and soul grinders are amazing. Their shrouding is nice if you can get in a ruin and take the ordinance gun. However, I found there size hard to keep them in cover to benefit from the save boost. Plus if you are just dropping a pie plate from 36" and snap firing their harvester gun you are losing out on alot of their capabilities. Their front/side 13 AV is really tough to bust through so deep striking them in close with the torrent flamer or S10 gun is not a bad plan. Get em in the fray and get into assault and you'll find even power fists have trouble denting AV 13 with a 5++ demon save :)

FeeZ
Greater Daemon
FeeZ
Greater Daemon

28 Mar 2017, 00:49 #4

You can hide Nurgle Soul grinders quite well behind Aegis Defense Lines as they cover more than 25%.

I have to agree with loving Soul Grinders too, even before Forge Host. The Flamer torrent weapon is fantastic, even though it's a pale shadow to a Baleflamer (but everything is a pale shadow to a baleflamer).

Marandamir
Bloodcrusher
Marandamir
Bloodcrusher

28 Mar 2017, 17:06 #5

Soul grinders are too big I think for aegis lines. Ground troops it may cover 25% if you are lucky but it basically only covers the shins of the legs. What I found problematic is elevation units like flyers ignoring pretty much all their cover. Because of that I don't field alot of nurgle grinders. If I do I stick em fully behind a ruin and have them shoot their ordinance gun through the windows or around the sides. That way they pretty much always get the 2+ cover save and can still do some damage.

FeeZ
Greater Daemon
FeeZ
Greater Daemon

29 Mar 2017, 08:10 #6

Flyers are supposed to ignore cover granted via their elevated LOS, this was mentioned in one of the FAQ's in a round about way. 25% *is* the shins of the legs, which is all you need.

I guess I'm rather lucky in comparison to you, I don't really encounter many flyers beyond Heldrake's and the occasional vendetta/valkyrie.