Saw Dogs final analysis

Doc Parker
Doc Parker

January 19th, 2012, 3:28 am #1

That show is funny. There's no real continuity, and no one would hire a guy like the saw bitch, people that wanna learn to carve are like flies on a rainy day. Ya can't get rid of them while you're trying to work.I did love to see a bunch of the folks we watch as our friends/heroes( NO RD, this don't include YOU!!) and see some weird stuff that is strictly fantasy also. Having been a judge, I also see things maybe some of you miss. Did you notice the primaries on that eagle were upside down?? Yes, the feather's trailing edge is on the top of the wing. Also in the eagle posted afterward from ZZ has the same flaw. I have noticed this while judging at hand carving shows and is a mistake a lot of amateurs do. Let me re-phrase this, People who aren't bird fanatics, or don't study anatomy enough, or copy other artists work trying to learn and don't check for accuracy, etc etc etc. Here's a Samodowski piece taht everyone ooooo'd and awwwww'd at and look at the feathers. The wind would flow thru them and the bird would plummet to the earth and crash if they were built this way!!![/IMG]

Doc Parker
Doc Parker

January 19th, 2012, 3:35 am #2

Here is a very dynamic owl by Randy Boni with the same problem.[/IMG]

Doc Parker
Doc Parker

January 19th, 2012, 3:40 am #3

But, the underside of the wings is correct, and look at the outer/top of the wing!! Can you have it both ways??[/IMG]

Doc Parker
Doc Parker

January 19th, 2012, 3:48 am #4

Back to Saw Dogs. I really hope they don't make us look like crazy people with saws, the fears of them giving away the store aren't there, they show very little about skill. I hope people don't see us as greedy from the mentioned prices, etc. I guess they needed drama and the real artistic license was in the writing!! hahahahaha. I really liked hearing Steve Backus,and Dave Tremco talk, you can only imagine from photos. I also felt they made Samo, and Pete seem kinda nasty,( Kinda like RD comes off ya know??) I know they probably aren't like that in real life. Anyway, If ever you need a good judge call me,( hahahaha, yeah right huh?) Keep an eye on your details, someone's watching!! The bright side??? We got on TV!!!!! Yayyy!

January 19th, 2012, 4:50 am #5

ok doc im not sure what your trying to say here

Doc Parker
Doc Parker

January 19th, 2012, 11:46 am #6

Put your best foot forward. If you're gonna do detailed work, pay attention to details. I liked seeing our contemporaries, but they weren't portrayed fairly because of the producers. The story line is weak. Can you win a comp with exposed bolts? Is this a "Reality" show?( Random thoughts from an unfocused mind).

January 19th, 2012, 1:05 pm #7

What they say in Art school is learn everything and then forget it. I have met so many carvers over the years who do not study, don't go to a museum heck don't hardly look a pictures for that matter. They say it comes from with in. Lol well with in may not have much to offer. That is why they booted me from the other forum. I called it like it often is folk art or outsider art.

Not that it really matters but if it is going to really be great art it needs to meshed up on art terms. Anything left out from ignorance is the fault of the artis't not God. We are not all Michaelanglo or Bernini nor does that really matter. But to make claims of greatness based on your own amazement with your self means nothing more than making your biggest Turd.

There are a lot of turd polishers out there and I love all of you. I want the best for all of us as carvers I'm just not all that amazed with what we do as a whole form what I've seen in art. We will start to get recognized and collected in the next few years we all could step it up.

I think I would like to have more artist's come work and try to learn from each other and be productive. Sawdustsky and Tyoneon do that it helps them. Ken Packie too.

If we really want to get big bucks and be recognized we need to do good work my self included. I'm kind of in training right now so to speak. I am focusing on paying my place down and fixing it up so I can afford to take the time it takes to do the best work I can. Time and money and I guess talent. It takes a lot of it to make it in this biz.

It all comes down to production and value. No production no money. Make crap get paid little. Have no exposure there is no on to buy your work. No one to buy no money, no money you can't afford to make anything.

Wow it's easy to be a philosopher laying in a cloud bed. Lol.
Pinske

January 19th, 2012, 1:44 pm #8

Put your best foot forward. If you're gonna do detailed work, pay attention to details. I liked seeing our contemporaries, but they weren't portrayed fairly because of the producers. The story line is weak. Can you win a comp with exposed bolts? Is this a "Reality" show?( Random thoughts from an unfocused mind).
correct anatomy is crucial when you portray yourself as a master anatomist i guess i like the stylized feathers even though the functionality is not there . in a contest fatal flaws!!!! when judged by one in the know , its almost like michaelangelo carving davids hand backwards . i think dyslexia runs rampant among artists da vinci scribbled words without puntuation wrote backwards and some think in code hence mirror writing but this is the way dyslexic leftys write it comes natural . myself i think real art is wings on backwards , reverse jointed elbows ,hulks and pirates and stump buggs but thats me i like exposed bolts it gives it a mechanical look one reason i dont listen to master anatomists becuase when there preaching on there soap box there standing there with there shoes on the wrong feet ha ha ha !!!

Schaef
Schaef

January 19th, 2012, 3:00 pm #9

Here is a very dynamic owl by Randy Boni with the same problem.[/IMG]
I looked at Samudowski and Boni's pieces and stopped at "Wow".

January 19th, 2012, 4:27 pm #10

I think those guys really depict what chainsaw carving is. Jeff's works consistently go for the most dough at RW some where around $2500 at auction. Personally I think he's the most collectible and represents our craft well. Most auction values are around 40% of a true retail value. That would make the pieces around $6500. I'm not sure what he gets for them it would be interesting to find out. If I was to do that type of work I'd shot for that.
Pinske