Saw Dogs final analysis

January 20th, 2012, 1:13 pm #21

John makes a good but but Picasso was painting like a master at a young age. He could draw from a plaster cast and get all the shadows and muscles etc. He knew anatomy and ripped it apart.

I think what those of us are saying who criticize the works is that if you know how it is suppose to be and make it wacky that is one thing if you don't and it's wacky it's another.

I agree with how nice Randy's bird is. it looks cool. Would it be better with proper feather direction? Dennis Roghair pointed it out to me in a contest when I was a kid. The third row in goes the oppisit way and both wings match. The feathers overlap from the bird down to the tip.

Someone who knows ruses things wouldmsay good artist but he knows know thing about birds.

I'm no different than any of you guys I barley gratuated Hightower school. I have ADHD, I'm an addict in recovery and provably certifiably nuts. I have learned a lot from friends and other artists. When you are open and want to learn and grow that's when the magic happens.

The whole Saw Dogs thing is very simple. It like have ping friends with a band. People have friends in a band and you go hear them play and they are good because they are your friends. Are they really going to be rock stars's? Not if they are not good enough. They need to be able to draw a crowd. It needs to be A really good band to really make it.

That's the deal with the Show it is not any better than friends with a good band. They can play some songs well and they got their shit together enough to get a good gig but that's about it.

Tv shows need viewers. Viewers need to be entertained. They did not rerun it on Wednesday here this week already not a good sign.
Pinske

Dave Conklin
Dave Conklin

January 20th, 2012, 1:35 pm #22

That show is funny. There's no real continuity, and no one would hire a guy like the saw bitch, people that wanna learn to carve are like flies on a rainy day. Ya can't get rid of them while you're trying to work.I did love to see a bunch of the folks we watch as our friends/heroes( NO RD, this don't include YOU!!) and see some weird stuff that is strictly fantasy also. Having been a judge, I also see things maybe some of you miss. Did you notice the primaries on that eagle were upside down?? Yes, the feather's trailing edge is on the top of the wing. Also in the eagle posted afterward from ZZ has the same flaw. I have noticed this while judging at hand carving shows and is a mistake a lot of amateurs do. Let me re-phrase this, People who aren't bird fanatics, or don't study anatomy enough, or copy other artists work trying to learn and don't check for accuracy, etc etc etc. Here's a Samodowski piece taht everyone ooooo'd and awwwww'd at and look at the feathers. The wind would flow thru them and the bird would plummet to the earth and crash if they were built this way!!![/IMG]
I do not consider myself an artist but I have been fortunate to have grown up with, met and worked with a number of good people who come close.
I have found that Art takes over my life when it needs too, I am greatful for that blessing.
I like working with those who do not stay within the lines, it can be fun.
I like working with those that take an idea and stick with it to the smallest detail, not as much fun but the result of touching people can be the same.
I would much rather judge the leaves that fall from the trees then to judge any one a persons creations.
Good for the People who are on this new show, it's not realist but neither are most carvings.
I hope it inspires all to create

Dave

January 20th, 2012, 3:01 pm #23

I was in bed I should have re-read my post. The Ipad changes the words I was in a hurry to get out of bed.
Pinske

January 20th, 2012, 3:04 pm #24

it is really nice to see everyone's points. Very cool.
Pinske

January 20th, 2012, 3:56 pm #25

Put a camera in your shop and watch how people act, walk / carry themselves. About 1/3 of the way through their visit point out the camera to them. About 2/3 of the way through their visit tell them that millions of people may see the video. Compare their actions. You will find that the only time you recorded reality video is when they had no clue they were being recorded. The reality is, there is no reality, they will not be able to keep the show alive without the garbage. Only carvers or want to bees would watch regularly. They are going to need unusual characters. Wait til they find the real ones and stop having to make up script! Wooooo Hooooooo are they going to find some good ones. Snookie, the kardashians, Dog, the swamp brothers are all going to be sucking hind tit to these guys...Wait until the camera crew starts following carvers to the bar. All of the integrity and good intensions being preached about will get thrown out the window in order to get a second season or new market. They have built up several egos that will now require a good regular feeding. Finding defectors will be easy for the producer competitive producers. The carver willing to give up all rights to the producers first wins. I’m sure they will be well compensated.

When I am carving a bird in flight for outdoor display, I will generally stack the feathers down the same way on both wings. The purpose is to get the same shadow on both wings from a distance so they view the same and to keep snow and ice from sticking to the carving as easily (so water drains off). Luke Harris is one of my favorite chainsaw sculptors. Everything he does is out of proportion and is full of over cuts, but always very pleasing the the subconscious mind. Some people have it and some don’t, that is why it is considered a gift.

January 20th, 2012, 6:10 pm #26

RD, I liked your logic regarding feather direction. You had intention and a valid and clever reason for laying the feathers the way you did. It's a good tip.

Regarding correct anatomical detail, visual impact is everything, and everyone in the buying public has a different button that can be pushed. People are more likely to shell out the bucks if they felt some kind of emotional punch that made them want to own the carving.

Some carvings just shimmer with fun (Joe R, Angie). The emotional punch is not related to correct detail, but to the impact and appreciation of clever imagination, style and use of color...and maybe add some bodacious boobs.

If you go for the drama, like Animalistic, running wolves have more impact if your detail is correct enough to convey that those animals are not a running herd of bears. The more ESSENTIAL detail you get right, the greater the liklihood your visual intent was not just conveyed ("oh, nice wolves") but has some POW ("holy crap, did you see his wolves!!"). He doesn't need ALL the details right, but there is critical anatomy that must be perfect or it doesn't work.

Many who carve large birds don't get the wings right and either don't care, care but still can't do it right, or just want to impart an attractive style. That's fine if you or your customers are happy with the final impact of the figure.

In my world, I sometimes desire impact based on how real my carving looks, so the fundamental details are foremost (get the ears right, the beaks, the eyes), then when that becomes easy, I might want to get better at the secondary details that can really add to the piece (ruffle the feathers, flare the wing, get the feet right), because it ADDS impact.
BUT... I hate too much detail, it bores me, that's why I use a chainsaw. So I'll do fish fins that are the right shape and in the right place, but I'm damned if I'm going to put scales on that fish.

So if I'm going to do wings, I'd rather spend 30 minutes laying the feathers in the right direction than 30 minutes doing them in the wrong direction. It's not like you're carving the damn barbels on each one.

Doc Parker
Doc Parker

January 20th, 2012, 6:27 pm #27

Put a camera in your shop and watch how people act, walk / carry themselves. About 1/3 of the way through their visit point out the camera to them. About 2/3 of the way through their visit tell them that millions of people may see the video. Compare their actions. You will find that the only time you recorded reality video is when they had no clue they were being recorded. The reality is, there is no reality, they will not be able to keep the show alive without the garbage. Only carvers or want to bees would watch regularly. They are going to need unusual characters. Wait til they find the real ones and stop having to make up script! Wooooo Hooooooo are they going to find some good ones. Snookie, the kardashians, Dog, the swamp brothers are all going to be sucking hind tit to these guys...Wait until the camera crew starts following carvers to the bar. All of the integrity and good intensions being preached about will get thrown out the window in order to get a second season or new market. They have built up several egos that will now require a good regular feeding. Finding defectors will be easy for the producer competitive producers. The carver willing to give up all rights to the producers first wins. I’m sure they will be well compensated.

When I am carving a bird in flight for outdoor display, I will generally stack the feathers down the same way on both wings. The purpose is to get the same shadow on both wings from a distance so they view the same and to keep snow and ice from sticking to the carving as easily (so water drains off). Luke Harris is one of my favorite chainsaw sculptors. Everything he does is out of proportion and is full of over cuts, but always very pleasing the the subconscious mind. Some people have it and some don’t, that is why it is considered a gift.
I have no idea where you get off calling me an alchoholic you overblown hic! I rarely drink no more than 2-3 glasses of wine a day starting at 5 and ending at 9-10pm. I don't touch hard liquor, and sometimes have a beer or 3 at a party. I'll print off this post for future reference. I may need it. You know you have a lot of gall talking to any of us after what you did to Hackensack. It was the best show in the country( east of the Missori) for payouts to carvers, even the quick carves done by helpers and invitees made money and got to rub shoulders with the big guns, and were a family. You were a major factor in ruining the friendship between AJ and Squirrel whom we both loved. You are a pariah in my opinion, and a spoiler of good things for others. Hackensack was like the Ridgway west for a lot of my friends and now it's gone. You are my enemy, and for a lot of others who finally had a place to meet and get to know some real talent. Hopefully Barre's Buzz will be the next one, please stay away.I hope you put your feathers all on upside doan, and everyone laughs at you. You are just a bad joke.

January 20th, 2012, 6:45 pm #28

They just ran the new shows here liked them more than the first two. Seems silly to have the deadlines still. Good work this time Sawdustkey is awesome. I thought Mark was realy good on camera too.
Pinske

RB
RB

January 21st, 2012, 12:34 am #29

Somebody finnally got the Shadow Part Of Carving in the Mix.. I Even quit beveling the feather's on pearched Eagle's..just Quick line's that are visable from both direction's..and not disapering with the skip of light.. lol.. back too me beer.. mama need's my chair

January 21st, 2012, 3:54 am #30

ted you are so miss informed. Not about the hic part, but its Hicks not hic, and we were backwoods. Who are all of these friends you are talking about? I can’t imagine, so I probably would not know them. You can easily research all of the background of Hackensack on milts site. That horse got beat to death over there. But I’m sure you don’t want the truth. Either way your opinion matters not...try some cheese with that wine titty baby. You don’t have enemies, you have victims of your internet slander. If you had the ability to be any kind of a threat, you would soon find out what an enemy is. As far as Barre’s show goes, I’ll only go if you do.

I think that subconsciously I must be a personal hero of yours. That would explain the reason you constantly pick on me like an ugly overweight school girl with a wild crush would. lmao I guess we did give you the only award you have probably ever received. Is that what pumped up your ego?

You know better than to include my name in one of your posts dribbling stupidity. I will call you out every time.