repetition or new designs

repetition or new designs

November 21st, 2014, 5:51 pm #1

Which way do you think is best to learn? Is it better to do one carving over and over until you can do it perfectly, consistently... or do you learn more by trying something new each time and taking the lessons you learn along the way, to the next project?

November 21st, 2014, 6:21 pm #2

undoubtedly, it teaches you muscle memory and efficiency, as you grow into a carving tool yourself it becomes important to put the saw where it has to be with an economy of movement, you become the dancer and your whole body is a device that holds the saw where it has to be, when it has to be in a certain moment, even a simple bear is a fluid series of compound angles delivered in the fewest moves possible.

This practice will spill over into everything you carve, as your feet and shoulders and hands and head, all factor into the necessary positions that they need to be in to do it without thinking.

Repetition is also why barres dating hand is so much bigger then his nose picking hand..........

November 21st, 2014, 6:38 pm #3

and heres a vid to help
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dF6KGroSx24 hopefully you could be the next world champion bears a former world chumpion and you are supposed to supercede your master good luck oh and dont post any art on the yeller foram its not allowed haha !!!!!

November 21st, 2014, 9:54 pm #4

undoubtedly, it teaches you muscle memory and efficiency, as you grow into a carving tool yourself it becomes important to put the saw where it has to be with an economy of movement, you become the dancer and your whole body is a device that holds the saw where it has to be, when it has to be in a certain moment, even a simple bear is a fluid series of compound angles delivered in the fewest moves possible.

This practice will spill over into everything you carve, as your feet and shoulders and hands and head, all factor into the necessary positions that they need to be in to do it without thinking.

Repetition is also why barres dating hand is so much bigger then his nose picking hand..........
Well said Steve , I agree. I asked Jeff P one time when we were carving at Garys how many times do you have to carve a certain piece before it's programed into your brain so you can go on auto pilot? He said three and never looked up from the saw he was sharpening.

jpinney
jpinney

November 21st, 2014, 10:41 pm #5

haha that's right Art you have a better memory than I do.I would do three bears three eagles three owls X cetera just enough to learn but not too much to get tired of the peace. learn on each one and then rotate it over again.either way you're making good product. this is definitely a deep subject.

November 21st, 2014, 11:59 pm #6

I think it's important to know that your tool is doing what you think it is doing. Good art is not a fantasy a skill set shows in the final product very clearly. I'd suggest making large eagle heads or some thing like that lots of detail but on a big scale. That way you can learn details and proportions with out needing to work small. You can do one part of something so it does not need to relate to other parts. You will have something to see also. Making a few of the same thing will help you get in a grove. Good luck Man.
Pinske

November 23rd, 2014, 5:37 pm #7

You could aspire to like Buzz and just pump out crap as fast as you can with out a care for anatomy or proportion and end up rich and famous like him!

Pinske

November 23rd, 2014, 10:05 pm #8

BEAR beauty is in the eye of the beerholder I run out of carving tricks after 5 minutes

November 24th, 2014, 2:56 pm #9

I don't know what I like about this forum more, the wealth of carving knowledge or the laughs.....Some of you guys should try a stand up act, too funny