Pre mixed saw gas who's using it?

October 23rd, 2014, 11:32 pm #1

I'm thinking of getting a new big saw soon. Although I have had real good luck with my 570 I'm very concerned about frying a new saw. I don't want to make the Investment and melt the damn thing down. I run my saws rich to help the bad gas problem but they don't preform 100% if the mix is rich. I have not cost compared I don't run gas that much it might be worth it. Any ideas?
Pinske

October 24th, 2014, 1:32 am #2

October 24th, 2014, 2:02 am #3

I use Stihl mix (both regular & synthetic)in all my saws. I ALWAYS use Stabil Haven't fried one in a long long time. Gotta be scary investment though with the 660 at about twelve hundred bucks.

October 24th, 2014, 9:49 am #4

I want to get a Husky 3120. I'm thinking the bottled gas for it. Back in the day growing up in Minnesota I was in favor of Alcohol in the gas now it's clear it's a bad idea. It may he impossible to get it out. They have off road diesel at pumps it would be nice to have 2 cycle gas available too. I have not priced the bottled gas. I use hydraulics for everything other than rough outs so I don't have to worry about burning up saws much just one big saw or the rare tree job. I don't do many tree jobs any more with the gallery most work I sell out of here.
Pinske

October 24th, 2014, 9:57 am #5

$5.85 a quart. $23 a gallon. Pump gas plus $1.85 for the oil $6 a gallon. 4x the cost for the canned fuel is it worth it for l risk?
Pinske

October 24th, 2014, 1:48 pm #6

I run baileys synthetic 50-1 and add 2.5 0z of marvel mystery oil per gallon works for me I run my 660 to mill with it never had an issue.

October 24th, 2014, 2:00 pm #7

$5.85 a quart. $23 a gallon. Pump gas plus $1.85 for the oil $6 a gallon. 4x the cost for the canned fuel is it worth it for l risk?
If the saw is $1200 and you buy canned fuel at$23 gal you will burn 52 gallons to equal the price of a new saw vs pump gas and burning 200 gallons to hit that $1200 mark. So i guess it depends on how much fuel you burn a year to justify the expense. The local stihl dealer in my neighborhood was offering an extended 2 year warranty if you purchased a six pack of those little pre measured oils

Barre Pinske
Barre Pinske

October 24th, 2014, 3:07 pm #8

I just realized something. Off road diesel does not have a road tax. If we are buying pump gas we are paying the road tax. All off road gas users could argue we are not responsible for the road tax the same as the construction guys. Perhaps we could get the alcohol out of an off road gas pump too. With all the saws cooking, landscapers etc. If we got organized we may be able to move a bill forward to require an off road pump and possibly get the fuel to not contain alcohol. This would be a monumental effort but with saw companies who have to warrantee everything and other folks facing hardships we may be able to get something started.

October 24th, 2014, 3:13 pm #9

I have had fair luck with pump gas mixed rich too. It sounds like few if any one is using the premixed gas. I know for a lot of us everything comes down to cost. 4 times the price to lesson a risk may or may not be worth it. I guess it all depends if the saws last or not.
Pinske

bradsr
bradsr

October 24th, 2014, 3:28 pm #10

I'm thinking of getting a new big saw soon. Although I have had real good luck with my 570 I'm very concerned about frying a new saw. I don't want to make the Investment and melt the damn thing down. I run my saws rich to help the bad gas problem but they don't preform 100% if the mix is rich. I have not cost compared I don't run gas that much it might be worth it. Any ideas?
here is a list of vt stations that have non-ethanol gas
http://pure-gas.org/?stateprov=VT
bradsr