Radical Aircraft Designs

Moderators: Moderators, Administrator

Radical Aircraft Designs

August 4th, 2004, 10:18 pm #1

Since I'm an aircraft fan, i would like to ask you to post pictures of the most radical fighter aircraft designs. Both prop an jet fighters designs. And it doesnt matter if it is never actually produced. Just designs/fictional is also fine.
Looking forward.

Last edited by cid-highwind on August 4th, 2004, 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

August 4th, 2004, 10:31 pm #2

Something like that???

---
Return of the Wolves

August 4th, 2004, 10:35 pm #3

Since I'm an aircraft fan, i would like to ask you to post pictures of the most radical fighter aircraft designs. Both prop an jet fighters designs. And it doesnt matter if it is never actually produced. Just designs/fictional is also fine.
Looking forward.

Very nice, are these real Nazi-German Airforce Designs? Some of them look like present aircraft. I know the US used many German designs after WWII. I see one aircraft which resembles the A-10 and one aircraft which resemble the B2 bomber.

Last edited by cid-highwind on August 4th, 2004, 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

August 4th, 2004, 10:39 pm #4

Looking forward.

"are these real Nazi-German Airforce Designs?"

These are real german industrial projects and design studies, with a big "creative touch from the artist"
---
Return of the Wolves

August 4th, 2004, 10:46 pm #5

Looking forward.

Would have been nice to see some of them fly. I see often prop planes with the prop on the back of the plane, I wonder if it performes better than. Anyway it looks more streamlined. I like the 11th and 15th designs.
Looking forward for more designs

August 4th, 2004, 10:46 pm #6

Looking forward.

August 4th, 2004, 10:53 pm #7

Looking forward.

---
Return of the Wolves

August 4th, 2004, 10:58 pm #8

Looking forward.

Lol looks like the Boeing JSF. Anyway I think the YF-23 Blackwidow looks much nicer than the F-22 Raptor. The Blackwidow looks very cool.

August 4th, 2004, 11:18 pm #9

Looking forward.

Although now it doesnt look radical, this plane was first build in 1949, so must have looked radical then. Also what strikes me is his tail shape and the small engine intakes.

One of my fav designs

August 4th, 2004, 11:50 pm #10

Looking forward.

Northrop X/YB-35

Convair X-36 "Peacemaker"

Douglas XB-42
"Mixmaster"

Northrop YRB-49A

Martin XB-51(one of my fav's)

Northrop XP-79B

McDonnell XP-67

Northrop XP-56 "Black Bullet"

Curtiss XP-55 "Ascender"

Vultee XP-54 "Swoose Goose"

McDonnell XF-85 "Goblin"

North American F-82
"Twin Mustang"

August 5th, 2004, 1:36 am #11

Looking forward.

UK Halton Meteor

Avroplane

US Northrop M2-F2

US Chance-Vought V-173

US Martin Marietta X-24B

Canada B-2000 Transport

US Nasa X-43 Hypersonic aircraft (Mach 7+) current

US 'Aurora' aircraft.

"To secure the peace is to prepare for war." George Washington and later Metallica.
Last edited by apexace2000 on August 5th, 2004, 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

August 5th, 2004, 4:06 am #12

Looking forward.

I always liked German WW2 aricraft design.Its just a good thing for the Allies,that the Germans didn't have more of a " window " of opportunity,than they did.Otherwise,some things might just a bit " different " ,in the world today.

August 5th, 2004, 6:06 am #13

Looking forward.

Here's a couple of interesting WW2 Japanese aircraft.

Kyushu J7W1 Shinden 'Magnificent Lightning' (experimental)

Mitsubishi J7M1 Shusui 'Rigorous Sword' (experimental)

Yokosuka MXY-7 Ohka 'Cherry Blossom' (disturbing name for a suicide plane)

Rather gallant names...

"To secure the peace is to prepare for war." George Washington and later Metallica.

August 5th, 2004, 7:06 am #14

Looking forward.

I agree... Had Germany waited until '43 to begin the larger European war (as Hitler had intimated to his Generals in the late 1930s as the likely point at which such fighting would be) then there is no telling what the Germans could have produced. No doubt, even without the resources to produce them, the German aeronautical community was extremely far ahead of everyone else in terms of technology and also understanding the future demands of aerial warfare. Hey, what if Hitler had simply allowed the Me-262 to go ahead as a fighter in 1943 rather than demanding it's (very unsuited) priority be bombing..??? Imagine the difference that would have made-strategic bombing would have stagnated and who knows what would have happened.....?

August 5th, 2004, 9:01 am #15

Looking forward.

Hey Apex is Justin Rhodes your real name? Sounds cool.

August 5th, 2004, 10:04 am #16

Looking forward.

@RobL,

Thanks,yes Justin Rhodes is my real name, though I've never had it complimented like you have done, if its of any interest my middle name is Ryan.

I was listening to BBC radio once and heard about a British soccer player that shares my name.

p.s. Your comment has inspired me to put a post on the GD forum titled 'What Is Your Real Name'

Just to stick to the thread:

Cypher 2 UAV

Last edited by apexace2000 on August 5th, 2004, 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

August 5th, 2004, 10:26 am #17

Looking forward.

Payen Pa.100 1933
First delta plane (even delta+canard)
Check http://home.att.net/~dannysoar2/Payen.htm for more infos on Payen's planes

Dirigible "La France" 1884
First reliable, stearable flying machine, built for the army.
50x8.4m 8Hp 20km/h !

Bugatti.100 1938
Contra-rotating propellers + lot of amazing technical choices
More infos: http://home.uni-one.nl/bugatti/revue3/rev3-2.htm

Nord 1500 "Griffon" 1959
Mach 2.2 turbojet+ramjet

Leduc ramjet 1938-1953
Without ww2, this plane would have flown in early 40-ies.
More infos: http://aerostories.free.fr/constructeur ... page7.html

August 5th, 2004, 10:45 am #18

Looking forward.

"I always liked German WW2 aricraft design.Its just a good thing for the Allies,that the Germans didn't have more of a " window " of opportunity,than they did.Otherwise,some things might just a bit " different " ,in the world today."

The Germans couldnt have been worse than the present Americans. The irony is that Nazism died, but the military hardware of Nazism survived in the hands of the Soviets and the Americans, and they did and are doing the kind of damage Hitler would have liked to see.

B.T.W. very,very,very nice pics of the plane West, do post more of them.

"My heart reaches out to the people of Assam"- Jawahar Lal Nehru, 1962. When Assam was considered "LOST" after the Indian army fled for their lives from the invading Chinese leaving the population at their mercy and the Chinese army reached till Tezpur.

August 5th, 2004, 10:57 am #19

Looking forward.

Indika, post a radical plane or STFU, please. Its good to see that I'm a Nazi. F*** off.

Bell X-2

Douglas X-3

Lockheed X-33

X-39

X-36

August 5th, 2004, 11:05 am #20

Looking forward.

Wasn't the Japanese Ohka also called the "Baka" (fool) by American Pilots? Supposedly they were easy to shoot down.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------