Zip in '07, more in '08

Zip in '07, more in '08

April 2nd, 2007, 2:56 pm #1

Since Nathan and I are headed out to Philmont again in July, that'll preclude any highpointing trips this summer. Spending two weeks in the mountains of New Mexico and backpacking 84 miles will be worthwhile nonetheless. (And we'll go up Mt. Baldy, the highest peak at Philmont, at least.)

Already thinking about next summer and hoping to combine Hood and Rainier in a trip up to the Pacific Northwest. Then a second try at Humphreys (we were stormed off the summit ridge a few years ago) while we're at the Konvention in AZ.

...so many mountains, so little time...

April 2nd, 2007, 7:36 pm #2

What's Philmont?
Roger Williams (19), Boulder, Colorado.

SMB

April 2nd, 2007, 8:12 pm #3

Philmont Scout Ranch—the Boy Scouts of America's premier high-adventure base—challenges Scouts with more than 200 square miles of rugged New Mexico wilderness. Backpacking treks, horseback cavalcades, and training and service programs offer young people many ways to experience this legendary country.

I'll be there for my second trip the first two weeks in July.

April 4th, 2007, 12:20 pm #4

Since Nathan and I are headed out to Philmont again in July, that'll preclude any highpointing trips this summer. Spending two weeks in the mountains of New Mexico and backpacking 84 miles will be worthwhile nonetheless. (And we'll go up Mt. Baldy, the highest peak at Philmont, at least.)

Already thinking about next summer and hoping to combine Hood and Rainier in a trip up to the Pacific Northwest. Then a second try at Humphreys (we were stormed off the summit ridge a few years ago) while we're at the Konvention in AZ.

...so many mountains, so little time...
Philmont contains Baldy (12441') and Mount Phillips (11713'). Mt Phillips was named after Waite Phillips, oil baron and former owner of the Philmont land prior to donating to BSA. Baldy lies about 25 miles ENE of Wheeler Peak (state HP). Its a magical place for scouts