Whiteny to Boundary Advice

Whiteny to Boundary Advice

April 18th, 2005, 4:07 pm #1

Ok folks, I have my whitney permit now and after that I'm lookin at picking up boundary peak. I'm sure this is something alot of folks do so any advice would be appreciated. What is the actual driving time between the two is my biggest question but any other advice or suggestions are appreciated.

April 18th, 2005, 5:56 pm #2

If you're going via the Queen Canyon approach, it's a tad over 100 miles from Lone Pine to the Queen Canyon turnoff. However, there's not much after Bishop other than miles and miles of nothing but miles and miles. An alternative would be to drive up to Mammoth Lakes, about 100 miles north of Lone Pine, just off 395 on 203. From there, it's perhaps an hour over to the Queen Canyon road, but with much nicer amenities than you'll find along the direct route. The Trail Canyon approach would be a longer drive.

Depending on what sort of vehicle you have, Boundary will be either a moderate or long day hike. With good clearance and 4WD, you can get to the Kennedy Pass saddle at just under 10,000'. However, the last couple of miles of that are rough and steep and impassable for passenger cars. If you add the altitude gain and distance from the Queen Canyon Mine area, about as far as you can take a regular car, it's a very long dayhike or reasonable overnighter, albeit with a dry camp at Kennedy Pass.

We had car troubles back in 2001 and didn't get to do Boundary, but you can find out about our Mt. Whitney experience and how we approached Boundary by looking in the "Highpointing" pulldown on my WWW site.

April 18th, 2005, 7:53 pm #3

Ok folks, I have my whitney permit now and after that I'm lookin at picking up boundary peak. I'm sure this is something alot of folks do so any advice would be appreciated. What is the actual driving time between the two is my biggest question but any other advice or suggestions are appreciated.
I did that 3 times in three different periods,
1st November 2003: driving time : MORE OR LESS 5 HOURS
2nd April 2004:
3rd July 2004:

the driving time is more or less 5 hours including the stops...
There is no direct road that goes from Lone Pine to Dyer, Nevada...
You will have to zig zag a bit on the way... the scenery is very nice...

April 19th, 2005, 12:55 am #4

I did this very same drive in the summer of 2000, but I stopped at Arghbeah National Recreation Area overnight because my fifteen year old son was throwing up in the car from all the trail food I made him eat. Stupid kid, he should have just sucked it up. I jest. But I believe all told it took around 5 hours 15 minutes.

April 20th, 2005, 6:19 pm #5

Like Alan said, from Lone Pine to the Queen Canyon turnoff is around 100 miles. Last year, my wife and I did Boundary first then Whitney. We took the Queen Canyon approach and got all the way up the the saddle below Kennedy Pt. A stock 4WD can get there. After doing Boundary, we drove to Mammoth Lakes, which was our base camp for Yosemite for a couple days. The night before our first day on Whitney, we stayed in Bishop. I would suggest at least one rest day between Whitney and Boundary.

April 22nd, 2005, 9:53 pm #6

Rather than move around a lot, we elected to stay at a place called Glacier Lodge that is up in the mountains near Big Pine. If you are in to rustic, it is a really cool place. We rented a cabin that was very spacious . . . but old. They actually generate their own electricity out of a stream. From there, we just got up early and drove over to Boundary. We went the conventional route described in the Holmes book. We have a Honda CRV with decent ground clearance and had no problem. Just a few scratches from the bushes on the side of the road. We had no problem doing the hike and getting back over to Big Pine at a decent time. Boundary is tough and be sure to heed the warning to wear long pants if you go through the sage brush. And stay near the creek on the right as you look up toward the mountain and head for Trail Canyon Saddlethe saddle. We actually went up the steep scree slope. Tough climb. My daughter and I have 29 highpoints with several of the toughees . . . and we rate Boundary as the toughest so far. But not as tough as Longs Peak if you are familiar with the high point of Rocky Mtn. National Park.

We then did Whitney in a day. We rested a day after Boundary and took in some other sites and then tackled Whitney. We were probably on the trail by around 4:00 AM. It is definitely a long day that requires a lot of perseverence. But, four of us made it without too much trouble. I guess our only problem was that I had envisioned being almost to the summit once you get to Trail Crest. It is a lot longer hike than you would think to get from there over to the summit. To be real honest, I was sort of the draggee getting a lot of encouragement from my daughter.

We had a great trip and even drove over to Yosemite one day. Again, a fairly long drive but a nice day trip. Have a great time. We are doing Wheeler and Humphrey this summer. Does anyone have any info on the drought conditions in Arizona. Is the drought officially over now???????