Wheeler Peak Trail Closures

Wheeler Peak Trail Closures

Charlie
Charlie

June 5th, 2000, 2:46 pm #1

A friend just returned from attempting to climb Wheeler. He reported that the trails are closed indefinitely. Violators are subject to a $5,000 fine! Interested parties should check with Carson National Forest officials just to be sure.

roger
roger

June 5th, 2000, 3:20 pm #2

Thanks Charlie for posting this. I called the ranger district. Wheeler was closed on Monday, May 29 and remains closed indefinitely.

The ranger district # is (505)586-0520

Stephen Drake
Stephen Drake

June 5th, 2000, 6:00 pm #3

A friend just returned from attempting to climb Wheeler. He reported that the trails are closed indefinitely. Violators are subject to a $5,000 fine! Interested parties should check with Carson National Forest officials just to be sure.
Is it closed due to the Bruce Babbitt intentionally-set burn down Los Alamos fire? I was thinking that fire was quite a ways away.

Or is it due to dry conditions and a precaution for another fire getting started? I was thinking that that area got rain yesterday.

roger
roger

June 5th, 2000, 6:51 pm #4

Thanks Charlie for posting this. I called the ranger district. Wheeler was closed on Monday, May 29 and remains closed indefinitely.

The ranger district # is (505)586-0520
The NFS page detailing closings is at:

http://www.fs.fed.us/r3/fire/

There are pictures, maps, specifics, etc.

Bob
Bob

June 6th, 2000, 1:36 am #5

Is it closed due to the Bruce Babbitt intentionally-set burn down Los Alamos fire? I was thinking that fire was quite a ways away.

Or is it due to dry conditions and a precaution for another fire getting started? I was thinking that that area got rain yesterday.
A point of clarification here. The US Forest Service (and a lot of high points are in national forests) is in the Department of Agriculture, with a Cabinet secretary. The Chief of the FS answers to the Sec of Ag, who answers to the Presdient. The national parks, monuments, wild & scenic rivers, fish & wildlife service, etc., are in the Department of the Interior, also with a cabinet secretary who answers to the President. Babbit is Interior Sec. As an aside, wilderness areas are designated and set aside by Congress. They can be in USFS, NPS, BLM, NRCS or national wildlife refuge lands. As a wilderness, they are administered by the agency who was responsible for the lands prior to wilderness designation. Hope this sorts out a few pieces of a nightmarish bureaucratic puzzle.

John G
John G

June 6th, 2000, 2:29 am #6

I talked to a woman with the Carson NF today, and she said the whole forest was closed indefinitely, due to extreme fire hazard. There is another large fire burning near Pecos, NM, southeast of Santa Fe, but they are legitimately worried about fire danger elsewhere.

My guess is that the forests in NM and AZ will stay closed until the monsoon starts, early to mid July.

A little bit of rain has occurred, but so far they are mostly "dry" storms - lots of lightning, little moisture.

Closing areas due to fire danger is not unprecedented in the FS - California forests have such closures most years.

Stephen Drake
Stephen Drake

June 6th, 2000, 9:00 pm #7

During the past years, the monsoons have begun late (early to mid-August). Last year was a more normal year with the monsoons starting in mid-July.

The misconception is that people assume monsoons mean the start of rains. I think the correct meteorologyist definition has to do with 3 consecutive days in which the dewpoint temperature is above 55%.

Peter Anderson
Peter Anderson

June 7th, 2000, 6:11 pm #8

For what it's worth, monsoon refers to a regional wind shift. A result of the wind shift, air movement, is the flow of air either on to or off of a land mass. The flow of air on to a land mass from the ocean may result in rain, hence most people think of monsoon rains. Monsoon winds occur in many places around the world, few think "our" monsoon winds and rain, but the people and landscape of the desert southwest need the moisture.

John G
John G

June 7th, 2000, 8:29 pm #9

During the past years, the monsoons have begun late (early to mid-August). Last year was a more normal year with the monsoons starting in mid-July.

The misconception is that people assume monsoons mean the start of rains. I think the correct meteorologyist definition has to do with 3 consecutive days in which the dewpoint temperature is above 55%.
Here in Dallas, the dewpoint stays over 55 from Easter until the end of September. We just wish this would be a monsoon.

This is usually our dry season, with only a few inches of rain during June, July, and August.

Hey Steven, why did the Big Unit duck playing in Texas this past weekend?

Steve Gruhn
Steve Gruhn

June 7th, 2000, 8:46 pm #10

Randy Johnson didn't play because he wanted to sit back and watch his former teammates beat up on the Colorado Rockies.

Steve.