What is the highest paved roadway in the world?

What is the highest paved roadway in the world?

April 25th, 2006, 1:28 am #1

Is the Trail Ridge Road in Rocky Mountain National Park which crests at 12,183 feet the highest in the world? If not, what is?

April 25th, 2006, 3:20 am #2

<<<Is the Trail Ridge Road in Rocky Mountain National Park which crests at 12,183 feet the highest in the world? If not, what is?>>>

It is not even remotely close and not only that, it isn't even the highest paved road in Colorado as the Mount Evans Road is just below the 14,264 foot peak.

Remember that there are huge cities such as La Paz Bolivia (the international airport itself is over 13,000 feet) that are higher than Trail Ridge, and that city has many paved roads higher than Trail Ridge.

I'm not sure of the exact elevation of the passes, but I do know that the road betweem Arica Chile and La Paz Bolivia is now paved, and I have heard that the KKH highway between Pakistan and China is now paved. Tilio Pass in Peru is now paved. Are all in hte vicinity of 16,000 feet, but I don't remember the exact elevations. You will also get different awnswers from different sources on which of the three is actually highest.

April 25th, 2006, 2:11 pm #3

Is the Trail Ridge Road in Rocky Mountain National Park which crests at 12,183 feet the highest in the world? If not, what is?
After checking my maps, here is what I came up with.

The map I have gives the pass on the Arica to La Paz paved road an approximate elevation of 16,400 feet (5000 meters). Since the road was paved rather recently, so might not be quoted in any of the older sources.

Another map I have gives an elevation of 15,807 (4818 meters) for the Ticlio Pass in Peru.

On the KKH highway, Khunjerab Pass is at an elevation of 15,519 feet (4730 meters).

April 25th, 2006, 6:42 pm #4

Can a distinction be made between a one-way road that leads to a summit and a through road? (a US example: the road to Mt. Mitchell tops out at 6300+ or so and ends, the Blue Ridge Parkway tops out at just over 6000' but keeps going...)

This is more of a question to ponder than actually needs an answer, maybe someday I will spend several hours on the net figuring to see what is higher.

Another ?? for gearheads...what would be the highest elevation that a car can operate? I'm sure there is no place a vehicle can go that it couldn't but would a 5.7l Hemi work on top of Everest??

April 25th, 2006, 7:13 pm #5

<<<Can a distinction be made between a one-way road that leads to a summit and a through road? (a US example: the road to Mt. Mitchell tops out at 6300+ or so and ends, the Blue Ridge Parkway tops out at just over 6000' but keeps going...)>>>

Yes, but the question was ask simply about the highest paved road, rather than highest through road. Trail Ridge is the highest through road in Colorado, but Mount Evans is the highest paved road.

All the roads mentioned above in South America and Asia are through roads.

<<<Another ?? for gearheads...what would be the highest elevation that a car can operate? I'm sure there is no place a vehicle can go that it couldn't but would a 5.7l Hemi work on top of Everest??>>

I don't know, but motorcycles have been ridden to 6600 meters (21653 feet) on Aconcagua and there was a road (now closed) to the mine on Aucanquilcha at 5900 meters (19357 feet).