va, wv, and pa highpoints

va, wv, and pa highpoints

October 25th, 2005, 5:50 pm #1

I'm going to be in eastern OH around the weekend of Nov. 19. I would like to do these three highpoints, but as I am unfamiliar with the mountains in this area I was wondering if they will be easily accessible or are they likely to be snow-covered this time of year. I know no one can say for sure, but just in general what are they usually like around this time.

Thanks.

October 25th, 2005, 7:06 pm #2

My in-laws live in northern VA and we've spent time there during the thanksgiving weekend. So my opinion is just based on a few visits and some familiarity with the roads. If you have excellent weather, those three are doable in one long weekend.... maybe. Otherwise, it would be very difficult. PA and WV is doable perhaps in one weekend in slightly non-ideal conditions. Have you done MD yet? It's in the area.

The roads are very curvy, two-lane deals that take about 60 miles to go 20. It took a surprising amount of time when I did WV in 2001 coming in from Morgantown. You can easily expect 3 hours to do 100 miles.

October 25th, 2005, 7:22 pm #3

I'm going to be in eastern OH around the weekend of Nov. 19. I would like to do these three highpoints, but as I am unfamiliar with the mountains in this area I was wondering if they will be easily accessible or are they likely to be snow-covered this time of year. I know no one can say for sure, but just in general what are they usually like around this time.

Thanks.
I visited these state HPs, as well as several others, between November 4 and November 8, 2001. I did not encounter snow on any of these three HPs. I did, however, encounter some light snow on Mount Mansfield in Vermont a couple days later.

I realize that my visits were a couple weeks earlier in the year than your intended visits and that one year can differ from the next, but I would guess that if there were snow on these peaks, it would not amount to much. Therefore, I think it would be a safe bet that they would still be accessible on November 19.

October 25th, 2005, 10:03 pm #4

Thanks.
funny you post this today, 10/25/05:

this Nat'l WEather Service post encompasses all 3 HP's:

..WINTER STORM WARNING IN EFFECT UNTIL 10 PM EDT THIS EVENING...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN PITTSBURGH HAS EXTENDED THE WINTER STORM WARNING FOR GARRETT...PRESTON...AND TUCKER COUNTIES UNTIL 10 PM.

REPORTS OF 6 TO ISOLATED 12 INCHES OF SNOWFALL HAVE BEEN RECEIVED THIS AFTERNOON FROM THE RIDGES OF THE WARNED AREA. ANOTHER 2 TO 4 INCHES IS EXPECTED THIS EVENING...WITH SNOWFALL DECREASING IN INTENSITY LATE TONIGHT.

but you'll be fine!

October 26th, 2005, 1:29 am #5

Thanks.
I did these three around Christmas a few years ago. Davis has some back roads that I recall you wouldn't want to go speeding down (I recall my dad narrowly missed hitting some Amish kids and went into a shallow ditch) but should be fine. Backbone we climbed from the power lines, parking a short distance past them at the Nat'l Forest sign (there was no room anywhere else along the busy road). Unless you're a diehard bushwacker, I wouldn't recommend this route, but we took it and were fine, even in the deep snow. Spruce Knob is a different story. This one we had heard about as having the roads closed around April, so we weren't expecting them to be open now, but they surprisingly were. If there is any snow on the roads (assuming they're open) DRIVE WITH EXTREME CAUTION, and go no farther than you think is safe. We nearly slid off the snow-coated road a few times, and ended up pulling over about a half-mile from the parking lot because we couldn't make it up a particularly steep section of road. Use your best judgment on this one, and bring warm clothes. These warnings aside, I think they are probably quite doable, just be wary.