VA Highpoint Dedicated to MIT Founder

VA Highpoint Dedicated to MIT Founder

June 28th, 2011, 7:02 pm #1

As those of us who are both Highpointers and MIT alumni/ae well know, Mt. Rogers, the Virginia highpoint, is named after the founder of MIT, William Barton Rogers. According to this post on the MIT web site, a group of MIT alums added signage and dedicated Mt. Rogers to their Institute's founder.

Sort of goes along with other highpointing trivia like, "where was Vice President Theodore Roosevelt when he learned that he had become President upon the death of President McKinley?" Answer, of course, is Mt. Marcy, the NY highpoint.

June 29th, 2011, 3:21 am #2

Sorry to be a stickler for details, but Roosevelt was actually in North Creek, NY when he found out he became President. At the exact moment of McKinley's death, Roosevelt was on his way back from a hike of Mount Marcy on what is now New York State Route 28N. Of course, the whole ordeal of McKinely's worsening condition started during his hike of Marcy the previous day. There is a National Historic Marker on Route 28N that I frequently pass on my trips to the high peaks.

June 29th, 2011, 9:57 am #3

I hope this works:

June 29th, 2011, 1:03 pm #4

As those of us who are both Highpointers and MIT alumni/ae well know, Mt. Rogers, the Virginia highpoint, is named after the founder of MIT, William Barton Rogers. According to this post on the MIT web site, a group of MIT alums added signage and dedicated Mt. Rogers to their Institute's founder.

Sort of goes along with other highpointing trivia like, "where was Vice President Theodore Roosevelt when he learned that he had become President upon the death of President McKinley?" Answer, of course, is Mt. Marcy, the NY highpoint.
Thanks for the clarification, Mark.

The apocryphal tale I had heard years ago was that they actually had to send someone out on horseback to go track down TR. Guess that goes into the "interesting but false folk wisdom about highpoints" file...

June 29th, 2011, 4:19 pm #5

I believe the tale you heard or read is essentially correct except that McKinley wasn't dead yet. Several days after being shot, his condition unexpectedly went downhill while TR was on Marcy and they had to go find him. TR rode through the night to get to North Creek and found out about the death (which occurred at 2:15 AM) upon his arrival in town sometime around dawn.