Utah's mystery "Olympic" mountain

Utah's mystery "Olympic" mountain

Lynn Arave
Lynn Arave

January 31st, 2002, 7:42 pm #1

John Williams has a new CD/record out, "American Journey," featuring "Call of the Champions," the official theme song to the 2002 Olympic Winter Games in Salt Lake City, set for Feb. 8-23.
The photograph on the album cover shows a spectacular snow-covered mountain that is not named or identified. It's a real mystery mountain.
I called Sony Records, who produced the CD, and they think it is a Wasatch Mountain, east of Salt Lake, don't know its name, but are looking into it.
At first I thought the mountain might be an unsual view of Timpanogos Peak, or even Lone Peak or the western Salt Lake Twin Peaks.
However, the full-size view of the mountain on the Web does not appear to be any of the three — at least from any view I've ever seen.
Anyone out there familiar with Salt Lake area mountains want to go to: www.callofthechampions.com and take a "peek" at a full-size image of the mountain peak that's available there, if you can find the screen size image option ?
I'd just love to know where this mountain is before the Olympics begin. I'd also like to get a summer-type picture of the same view.

Paul Burkholder
Paul Burkholder

January 31st, 2002, 9:23 pm #2

Lynn, could it be the Pfieferhorn (unsure of spelling)? This peak is on the ridge that divides Little Cottonwood from the American Fork drainage, about halfway between Snowbird ski area and Lone Peak. The peak is not visible from the road in Little Cottonwood Canyon and is not prominant from anywhere in Salt Lake. If I could see a picture without the writing and logos that are on the website maybe I could say for sure. I climbed this once in the late '90s but I have seen it many times from other peaks in the Wasatch. What do you think?

Alan Bean
Alan Bean

January 31st, 2002, 11:36 pm #3

John Williams has a new CD/record out, "American Journey," featuring "Call of the Champions," the official theme song to the 2002 Olympic Winter Games in Salt Lake City, set for Feb. 8-23.
The photograph on the album cover shows a spectacular snow-covered mountain that is not named or identified. It's a real mystery mountain.
I called Sony Records, who produced the CD, and they think it is a Wasatch Mountain, east of Salt Lake, don't know its name, but are looking into it.
At first I thought the mountain might be an unsual view of Timpanogos Peak, or even Lone Peak or the western Salt Lake Twin Peaks.
However, the full-size view of the mountain on the Web does not appear to be any of the three — at least from any view I've ever seen.
Anyone out there familiar with Salt Lake area mountains want to go to: www.callofthechampions.com and take a "peek" at a full-size image of the mountain peak that's available there, if you can find the screen size image option ?
I'd just love to know where this mountain is before the Olympics begin. I'd also like to get a summer-type picture of the same view.

Lynn,

I would agree with Paul that this is the Pfifferhorn. It is the most perfectly triangular mountain in the Wasatch. I just climbed it this past June and that view looks very familiar. It is not either set of Twin Peaks, and it does not look like Lone Peak or the famous cirque. I'll be interested to see what Sony Records tells you.

Alan Bean

Steve Marwedel
Steve Marwedel

February 1st, 2002, 6:07 am #4

I wish I could say for sure which peak it is, but I believe it is not the Pfeiferhorn. First off the treeline appears too close to the peak and secondly the horizontal banding in the cliff area half way down is not characteristic of the Pfeiferhorn. Here are a couple of pics of the Pfeiferhorn that I have that you can check out:
1. Taken from Snowbird Ski resort

2. Taken enroute to Mt. Superior

Lynn Arave
Lynn Arave

February 1st, 2002, 2:11 pm #5

Before making any predictions on what mountain this is, make sure you click on the larger desktop image of the mountain that is available without any writing or logos on it.
To find this, go to www.callofthechampions.com
Next, click on "multimedia."
Finally, click on "view and save desktop."

Paul Burkholder
Paul Burkholder

February 1st, 2002, 3:59 pm #6

Thanks Lynn for telling me how to get rid of that big red box. It was covering an area that I really needed to see. I am now certain that this is not a view of the Pfieferhorn from any of the sides that I have seen (I have not seen it from the head of Dry Creek Canyon, which is directly south of the peak). I apologize for my earlier rush to judgement and thanks Steve for helping to straighten me out!! Now if only I could get to Salt Lake this weekend and take a look at that south side . . .

Dan
Dan

February 1st, 2002, 4:07 pm #7

Looks like that peak in the Coors commercial, the one behind Pete Coors that they zoom in on. You know, the peak they slowly blend into the one on the can...

Steve Marwedel
Steve Marwedel

February 1st, 2002, 11:59 pm #8

Another angle of the Pfeiferhorn taken from American Fork. Looking at the southwest side of the peak.

I'm thinking that the "mystery mountian" is just photo stock that Sony owns and decided it would make a nice CD cover. Meaning that the mountain could be anywhere. I sure hope that isn't the case and that somebody recognizes the mountain and responds.

Steve

Scott W.
Scott W.

February 2nd, 2002, 6:40 am #9

I have climbed the Pfeifferhorn(Little Matterhorn) and most all of the peaks on the ridge and I do not think this is it. There is a view of the Pfeiff from Maybird Gulch that looks very similar to this picture, but I do not think it is the same peak. The Pfeifferhorn is one of the most spectacular climbs in the Wasatch, especially in the Spring. My guess would be that this is not a Utah mountain.

Lynn Arave
Lynn Arave

February 2nd, 2002, 3:48 pm #10

Besides the postings here, I queried a half-dozen Utah hikers/climbers and none believe it is a mountain in Utah.
They would like it to be, and that's the disappointing thing — that there are so many good mountains in Utah that would have worked well for that album cover.
When I showed Alexis Kelner, an avid hiker and mapper from Salt Lake the album cover, he even checked his aerial photographs from the Uinta Mountains. Only Ostler peak even came close. He believes it might be a Colorado Mountain, but nothing in Utah as he has flown all over the state the past several decades.
Besides the mountain's pyramidal slope, it looks to be a massive mountain, like Mount Nebo, and those 3 rocky towers half-way up the mountain (and in the center of the photo) are like nothing anyone I've talked to has even seen in Utah.
One professional photographer I talked too even wonders if the photo isn't an enhanced picture. The eagle was super-imposed and he wonders if even the mountain slope wasn't increased by some computer process.
So, until someone recognizes the photo, of if Sony ever gets back to me with its name, it remains the "Olympic Mystery Mountain."