Useless question for Boundary Peak veterans

Useless question for Boundary Peak veterans

October 4th, 2007, 8:16 am #1

Out of curiosity, with a possible ascent in mind for this month, i did a quick scan of all a few major hiking/highpointing websites.

I found 44 people/parties that took Trail Canyon and 49 that took Queen's Canyon Mine approach. This is despite most sources calling Trail Canyon the "standard" or "most used" approach.

So the question is simple, which approach trail did YOU take?

October 4th, 2007, 10:08 am #2

Just did the Queen Canyon Mine route a couple of weeks ago. As far as I can tell, this is a far more popular route these days - although the routes pretty much merge and ascend the main part of massif the same way. Just different approaches. First part of below trip report is about Boundary:

http://www.summitpost.org/trip-report/3 ... -2007.html

October 4th, 2007, 11:01 am #3

Out of curiosity, with a possible ascent in mind for this month, i did a quick scan of all a few major hiking/highpointing websites.

I found 44 people/parties that took Trail Canyon and 49 that took Queen's Canyon Mine approach. This is despite most sources calling Trail Canyon the "standard" or "most used" approach.

We had car problems back in '01, so never made it. There was another thread about Boundary Peak eariler this year that included some maps of the area and various points of view.

From what I've read both from highpointers and other climbers' reports on climber.org, the Queen Canyon approach is a better hike. Both trails do join up on the ridge, but the QC approach avoids what sounds like a wretched talus slog up the east side of the complex. I'll definitely use the QC approach when I go back for a second try.

October 4th, 2007, 3:23 pm #4

I have used the Queen's Mine approach both times I have climbed Boundary. Both times I approached with a 4WD Suburban, so I had to "back and fill" on the one hairpin switchback, but otherwise no problems. You save 1000' of scree climbing (always a benefit, especially since you have about 3,000' more up above), and you avoid the cattle poop, quicksand, and (apparently) multiple and confusing approach roads. The area at the top of the approach road is also large enough for parking many cars, it's relatively flat, and you get a good, simple, essentially flat approach along a trail to Trail Canyon Saddle. Sure works for me! Good luck. They are predicting light snow in the Sierra tonight, so be aware. JES

October 4th, 2007, 4:06 pm #5

I took the Trail Canyon approach.

I did have trouble navigating the roads in the dark, but the hiking wasn't all that bad.

My trip was in October 1995.

October 4th, 2007, 6:41 pm #6

We climbed Boundary via Queen Mine on September 9. I agree with what everyone else has said in this thread. My additional personal observation - as you're walking along the ridge that brings you to the main saddle and you're looking down into the Trail Canyon approach, you can't help but feel glad you got all that elevation gain out of the way early on. This first part of the QM route on the way to the main saddle seems like a piece of cake in comparison to the last part of the hike that both routes share to the summit.

There's lots of talk about cow poop throughout the Trail Canyon route but we saw plenty of deer or horse droppings on the QM route - sometimes right in the center of the beaten path. Nothing you can't walk around though.

October 27th, 2007, 12:46 am #7

I used Queen Canyon in 1969. Got a rear wheel drive Mustang well up the mountain--no problem.

November 6th, 2007, 8:07 pm #8

We just got back on Saturday night after a successful Queen Canyon ascent/descent. From the looks of things, Trail Canyon would've been dandy too, except I've heard a rumor that there is some bushwacking involved in the lower sections of the trail.

The talus that we encountered was all after the Trail Canyon saddle anyway, so I don't think either route gives you a less talus advantage over the other. Also to be noted regarding the Queen Canyon route, there is poop all over the mountain, and from the looks of things it is from the wild horses that roam that whole area.

We didn't drive all the way to the proper Queen Canyon trailhead, but instead to the Queen Canyon mine entrance instead. I don't even think we spent 25 minutes going up the road to the regular trailhead, and 15 minutes coming down.

November 21st, 2007, 6:55 pm #9

What were the snow and weather conditions like?

congrats!

November 23rd, 2007, 8:26 pm #10

It was cool at the trailhead with sunny skies, and light breezes. I doubt the wind was ever over 30mph even on top, and the temps were probably in the 20s. At the trailhead, I left a water bottle out overnight to help guesstimate the low temp. Both my buddy and I agreed it was probably in the 20s at our campsite about a half hour before the "official" sunrise.

The snow was nearly non-existent, and the only solid "ice" we saw was in the bottom of the summit windbreak shelter. Based on the best weather data I could find for the past few weeks, there would be less snow now than when we were there. Unless there have been recent storms, I'm sure you could still go with regular footwear.