Timms and Arvon camping and other questions

Timms and Arvon camping and other questions

May 14th, 2011, 10:04 pm #1

It looks like i'll have a couple of free days after a trip to Milwaukee in early June, and i'm going to attempt to add #s 40 and 41 to my list. Some of you already know i like to camp around as many highpoints as i can, and i'm trying to find out about Timms and Arvon. By "camp" i just mean throwing my tent down somewhere. I don't have any interest in things like KOA campgrounds.

For Arvon, is it isolated enough and flat enough that i could pretty much throw down my tent anywhere between the car and the highpoint? I know it's private land, but the trip reports make it sound like nobody will care if i camp it anyway.

For Timms, i might do part or all of this 10-mile trail that heads up from the south. It looks like there is camping at the beginning, south end, of the trail. Anyone know anything about it? I'd prefer to camp closer, but i assume i'd have to stealth camp and that during bug season this would be a bad idea. Are there are other camping possibilities there?

Also, has anyone been up Mt. Curwood in the past few years? I'd be inclined to find this one too just in case they change their minds the next survey and call it the highpoint of Michigan again. Is there a trail to this one still? Directions?

Thanks for any info you might have!

May 19th, 2011, 1:29 am #2

Contact Lyle & Kathy at HighpointVillage.com for camping suggestions, and send me the details of whatever you experience for sharing in the HP newsletter. Lyle is the caretaker at Timms Hill. Ask him about the effort to rename Timms to its "original" Indian name.

Arvon is on remote land owned by a logging company. Ask Kathy at BaragaCountyTourism.org and let me know what tips she has for primitive camping. We never got around to publishing hyper-accurate description of reaching Curwood. If you take a good road log let us know.

June 14th, 2011, 5:41 am #3

I visited my HP #s 40 and 41 last week. Both were fairly easy to find.

I didn't have time to get to Mt. Curwood because i wasted too much time trying to find an "alternate" route. But if anyone wants to visit, there are very accurate (apparently) and up-to-date directions posted on cohp.org under Baraga County, and if you stop by the Baraga Visitors Center (the big A-Frame building on the main road into L'anse), they will happily run you off a copy of these directions to go with a map. It's also helpful to talk to them about Arvon. The "old" route there from the west isn't viable by car anymore, but they have a map and directions for the new route from the north. It's definitely worth it to stop by and tell them you're heading up there.

If one wants to camp on Arvon, and isn't squeamish about doing so in "stealth" mode, there are abundant perfect places to camp. On the river road leading to the HP, there are a few wonderful flat areas along the creek to the right of the road. There's also a nice pond with camp space at the parking area before the final walk up to the HP. I know it's private land, but it's hard to imagine anybody would care or notice if one were to drive up there after 6pm, throw a tent down, and be up and packed out before 8am. I wish i had done this.

For Timms Hill, stealth camping might be a little trickier, but south of the HP is the Timms Hill Trail. If you google that you'll see there is a free primitive camping area at the south end of that trail, about 10 miles from the HP.

It might also be worth noting for other stubborn types like me who try to do some walking to the HP, that if you follow the signs from the highway to "Timms Hill" you'll actually end up at the Highpoint Village, not at the highpoint itself. If this happens, not big deal. You'll see the fire tower atop Timms across a small lake. There is a use trail that goes around the left (west) side of the lake. After you get to the other side of the lake, you can either follow the road to your right as it winds its way the long way around to the top, or you can just scramble up the last 100 feet or so directly in front of you to the top. (20 guesses what i did...)

It's a really beautiful area in a quiet way. The mosquitos probably hadn't quite hatched yet, since i didn't see any. There were some blackflies at both areas, but long sleeves, a hat, and a quick pace is all that was needed to stay bite-free. If you're driving in the area at night, go slow and keep an eye out. There were deer everywhere, including the middle of the highway.

June 14th, 2011, 5:47 pm #4

Kongratulations Mark and Welcome to the Over the Hill Gang with 40 plus Highpoints! Quite a few Highpointers took the same route around the lake to Timms Hill during the Wisconsin Konvention. Nice little trek. Thanks for the Arvon update. I hope to stop by and visit with Tracey at the Baraga Tourist building next month and get updated maps etc. for the club archives. Happy Trails & Safe Climbs!