September 21st, 2004, 2:39 am #111

I'll post September reports here.
Efforts to recover the body of a tourist who died while climbing the snow-capped Mount Kenya aborted yesterday due to bad weather.
The mountain was covered with clouds and mist for the better part of the day, forcing police to suspend the recovery mission until today.
A team from the Kenya Wildlife Service, the Flying Doctors and the Everest Aviation firm was coordinating the search.
rescue officer at Mount Kenya National Park, Mr Simon Gitau, said the body of the Italian tourist, Mr Sebastian Calleri Zevanelli, was lying about 15,000 feet up in the mountain. The tourist was a bank employee in London.
Mr Gitau said the recovery team was expected to scale the mountain from Shipton camp to Batian peak where the body was trapped between boulders. However, the helicopter could not access the area.
The 29-year-old tourist slipped from a height of 15,038 feet as he tried to un-hook a rope he was using to scale the mountain's Batian peak, on Friday, at about 12.20pm.
He was hit by a rolling boulder and suffered critical injuries in the head, chest and legs, which caused profuse bleeding.
http://allafrica.com/stories/200409200651.html

September 21st, 2004, 9:25 pm #112

GRAND CANYON NATIONAL PARK, Arizona (AP) -- A man was found dead after falling from a trail in Grand Canyon National Park and landing about 500 feet below, a park spokeswoman said Monday.

http://www.cnn.com/2004/US/09/21/canyon ... index.html

September 21st, 2004, 10:34 pm #113

The barking of a missing hiker's dog led searchers to the man's body.
Okanogan County Undersheriff Joe Somday says the body of 52-year-old James V. Spotts III was found Monday in the Lake Chelan-Sawtooth Wilderness between Boiling and Bernice lakes.
Somday says there was no outward sign of injury or cause of death. Because the body was found just inside Chelan County, it is being sent to Wenatchee where Chelan County authorities will decide whether to conduct an autopsy.
Spotts left Sept. 11 on a week-long hike. A friend reported him overdue on Saturday and the search began with teams on foot, horseback and a helicopter.
http://www.king5.com/localnews/stories/ ... 806db.html

September 21st, 2004, 10:37 pm #114

Longtime Pocatello rock climber Terry Kranning died Sunday morning at Portneuf Medical Center after he fell during the Idaho State University Pocatello Pump rock climbing competition.

At 57, Kranning was an experienced climber and had competed in the Pump for at least 10 years. He was what a close friend and fellow climber Justin Dayley called the keystone in Pocatello's tight-knit rock-climbing community, the Bumblies.
Kranning was a sponsor of the Pump. Every year, he donated three handmade knives to be given away as prizes. Kranning was a world-renowned knife crafter who was passionate about climbing, organizers said.

The Pocatello Pump annually awards a $500 ISU Climber's Scholarship to two students. Organizers and family members have agreed to name the climbing scholarships in Kranning's honor.
The accident Sunday morning was the first major accident in the Pocatello Pump's 23-year history.
"I think the thing I'll miss most is that I have never seen someone who gave so willingly and was so thoughtful of everyone else,"Dayley said. "I have never met a person like him, who just wanted to make sure everyone else was taken care of."
"The Bumblies climbing group is the epitome of a community. They, just like Terry, are so accepting of everybody, no matter what you look like, what your job is or what your religion is,"Joyce said. "The common thread that holds them all together is climbing."

The Bumblies got their name about seven years ago from the climbers at City of Rocks, one of southeastern Idaho's favorite climbing areas. They saw the same group of people from Pocatello always climbing the Bumblie Wall. Soon, that's what they were known as - the Bumblies.
Kranning was one of the original Bumblies and was probably the most active one in the group, said Vern Phinney, Kranning's good friend and fellow Bumblie.

"The Bumblies consider themselves family,"he said. "The Bumblies, the people he climbed with, the people that knew him, will all miss Terry."
http://www.journalnet.com/articles/2004 ... news02.txt

September 23rd, 2004, 8:51 pm #115

Yellowstone National Park (ID,MT,WY)
Visitor Gored by Bull Elk

A park visitor who approached a bull elk too closely this past weekend was gored by the animal. The incident happened on Sunday morning near the Terrace Grill in Mammoth Hot Springs. A 60-year old man from Texas walked to within ten feet of the elk. He took a flash photograph of the animal, then turned his back on the bull and began to walk away. The startled bull put his head down and charged the visitor, who turned back toward the elk just in time to be struck head on by the antlers. He received some cuts and bruises to his head, hands and chest. A park employee charged by the same bull while leaving a building Sunday evening was bruised and strained some muscles. The elk also damaged six cars in the Mammoth Hot Springs area Sunday, adding to the six he had previously attacked. Total damage to the vehicles caused by this one bull elk has been estimated at $12,000 to $15,000. Because this overly aggressive bull was threatening the health and safety of visitors and employees, park managers decided to tranquilize the animal and remove his antlers. Transporting the animal to a distant location was ruled out because over-stressed animals can choke to death on regurgitated food. Even when successfully relocated, past history has shown elk shortly return to their original location. Elk congregate at Mammoth Hot Springs and many other developed areas in the park at during the fall mating season. The large, muscular bulls bugle and display their massive antlers to intimidate other bulls and impress herds of cow elk. Despite their often-docile appearance, elk are unpredictable, wild animals. They can run much faster than people can. Both cows and bulls can be very excitable and dangerous at this time of year. Sharpened tines on the large antlers of mature bulls are very effective weapons when wielded by animals weighing an average of 700 pounds. They may mock fight with trees or vehicles, spar with other rivals, or chase unsuspecting visitors who stray too closely.
http://data2.itc.nps.gov/morningreport/ ... F23%2F2004

September 23rd, 2004, 8:52 pm #116

Photo From:
http://www.petgroomer.com/ALBUM/pekingese-popup.htm
Romanian shepherd who was attacked by a bear in the mountains was saved by his pet Pekinese dog.
The man was checking sheep near Magurii Casinului, in Vrancea county, when the bear came out from bushes and started chasing him.
Petre Preda thought he was doomed when he slipped and broke his leg - but his little dog had other ideas.
It began harassing the bear, distracting it from the shepherd, and leading it off into nearby woods.
Mr Preda told National newspaper: "The giant bear came out of the blue and swooped upon me ready to tear me into pieces.
"I ran as fast as I could but I stumbled and broke my right leg. I thought only God could help me and started my last prayer.
"Then I heard my little Pekinese, I'd completely forgot about it. The little one attacked the bear distracting it from me. After an hour the dog returned from the woods safe."
The shepherd said his Pekinese, which he named Bear, was a gift from his wife who gave it to him to take care of him in the mountains.
http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_1109915.html

September 26th, 2004, 7:51 pm #117

The Clackamas County Sheriff's Office and the Army National Guard rescued a climber from Mount Hood on Saturday after the man fell into a 15-foot crevasse and sprained an ankle.
The man, whose name was not available, climbed to the top of the crevasse to an icy patch, where three other people on the mountain saw him, said Joel Manley, a spokesman for the sheriff's office. Although the three couldn't get to the injured climber because of the ice, they used a cell phone to call for help.
http://www.oregonlive.com/news/oregonia ... 919810.xml

September 29th, 2004, 2:19 am #118

Three hikers were rescued on Sunday after being lost on Medicine Bow Peak for more than five hours.
Rescuers from the Laramie Fire Department and Albany County Sheriff’s Office arrived on the scene at 8:40 p.m., Saturday, after a member of the hiking group was able to find his way down the mountain and flag down a motorist.
After hiking for more than four hours, rescuers found the stranded individuals.
Due to cold temperatures and the condition of the hikers, rescuers decided to set up a shelter in the mountains and build a fire.
The hikers were treated for hypothermia, and were given dry clothes and heat packs.
At daybreak, the group hiked nearly one mile to Heart Lake, where they met up with Carbon County Search and Rescue.
At about 2 p.m., the hikers were air lifted to safety on a United States Air Force Rescue Helicopter.
The hikers were identified as Marla Lancaster, 29, and her son Campbell Lancaster, 4, both who recently moved from Texas to Casper, and their friend, Russell Marusak, 31, of Dallas, TX.
The father, 37-year-old Gary Lancaster, apparently returned to the Libby Flats area and flagged down a passing motorist for help. Lancaster led rescuers to his stranded family.
http://www.laramieboomerang.com/news/mo ... yID=101984

September 29th, 2004, 2:20 am #119

A father and son have died while climbing in the Swiss Alps.

The two Frenchmen, aged 47 and 22, set off on September 17 from the village of Saas-Fee to climb several 13,000 foot peaks, said police in the southern canton of Valais.

They were last in phone contact two days later and were eventually reported missing by the father’s wife. Police did not disclose their identities, but said they came from the eastern Alsace region.

An air rescue service pilot spotted the two bodies lying on a glacier yesterday and they were taken to the nearby resort of Zermatt by helicopter. The exact circumstances of their deaths remain unclear, police said.

At least 66 people have died while climbing in the Swiss Alps since the start of May.
http://breakingnews.iol.ie/news/story.a ... =yy896z4yz

September 29th, 2004, 2:22 am #120

THis is an amazing story and this is only an excerpt.

Search and rescue crews had to pull 25 people out of rough terrain near Mount Washington after a "survivor" race turned into a nightmare for its participants.

A share of $35,000 in prize money lured about 40 people to the competition, which was to be captured by cameras for a television show.

Organizers said a trek over mountains and through treacherous ravines would take about 20 hours. But search officials told the hikers that the journey would normally take three days.

Many of the participants were unprepared for the strenuous journey, and called for help after a night in the wilderness, said Ken Sandberg of Campbell River Search and Rescue.

"We're concerned about how they were dressed," he said. "They had a minimum amount of food, a limited amount of water, no shelter, no sleeping bags, and (didn't know) that they were going into some pretty serious terrain."

The competition began Saturday afternoon, and rescuers were called Sunday afternoon. An initial report of three injured hikers quickly turned into 25 people who wanted help.
it."http://www.canada.com/victoria/timescol ... d387abf3d0