The 2013 Konvention Thread

The 2013 Konvention Thread

July 13th, 2011, 10:26 pm #1

So I've been watching the results of the poll with great interest and can't help but support all the love for Maine. But how in holy heck is NH getting more Konvention support than NY? There was just a convention centered around Mount Washington in 2005. 'Twas the only convention I ever kinda sorta attended so I remember well. As a lifelong New Yorker, I don't mind losing to Katahdin/Maine as NY had a convention back in '89 ... but NH ... no way!!! How do I start a NY for second place grass roots movement?

July 14th, 2011, 3:15 pm #2

You just did! I voted for Maine since I loved it there when I climbed Katahdin a few weeks ago. However, a Konvention in Lake Placid, NY would be kinda cool.

July 17th, 2011, 2:35 am #3

So I've been watching the results of the poll with great interest and can't help but support all the love for Maine. But how in holy heck is NH getting more Konvention support than NY? There was just a convention centered around Mount Washington in 2005. 'Twas the only convention I ever kinda sorta attended so I remember well. As a lifelong New Yorker, I don't mind losing to Katahdin/Maine as NY had a convention back in '89 ... but NH ... no way!!! How do I start a NY for second place grass roots movement?
Maine was the only state nominated, so it was unanimous...the 2013 Konvention will be in Millinocket, ME. Logistics for the highpoint hike will have to be worked out with Baxter State Park.

July 18th, 2011, 12:49 am #4

Congrats to the great state of Maine ... my home away from home. Looks like Katahdin won by an Abol slide. Haha ... get it ... an Abol slide. OK, that was lame.

July 18th, 2011, 12:40 pm #5

I would say it was Mainely the only one nominated...

But we ahd a Bangor-up time voting anyway...

(I said don't get me started...)

July 18th, 2011, 4:10 pm #6

That's a convention I might have to try to attend. After my planned three to four state western trip in 2012, I'll probably be staying close to home in 2013. Could stay at the family compound* on the coast in Ogunquit and head to Baxter from there. Hmmm ....

(* - More of a glorified apartment, but "compound" sounds better. )

July 19th, 2011, 3:14 am #7

What day should I leave the AT trailhead in order to get to the AT Cafe in Millinockett in time for the Highpointers Konvention?

July 19th, 2011, 11:48 am #8

I'd say you would have to start northbound sometime around 6:45 AM on March 1. Average time to through-hike the AT is five to seven months. Since the Convention is supposed to be in late July or early August and you are a strong hiker with 47 HPs, I'm comfortable with a March 1 start date for you.

Perhaps someone has an app for their smart phone that could better compute your projected time.

July 25th, 2011, 4:26 am #9

Awesome for Maine getting 2013 - but boy I hope the Econolodge in Millinocket has gotten renovated. Thats where we stayed on our arrival and it was a dive!

I hope Baxter State park will accomodate the hp'rs club - you never know