Straw Poll for 2007 Highpointers Convention in Midwest

Straw Poll for 2007 Highpointers Convention in Midwest

July 24th, 2005, 10:37 pm #1

The Highpointers Club will vote at the New Hampshire Convention on which Midwest state will host the 2007 convention. You can participate in our nonbinding straw poll by voting below.

The Convention rotates from region to region. The original intention was to have the convention held in each state. So far there have never been any repeats (Midwest conventions have been held in Illinois (2003), Michigan (1987) , Minnesota (1996) , Missouri (1999) and South Dakota (1993) . There is some sentimental notion of returning to Michigan on the 20th anniversary of the first Club event.

The Conventions are decided by the membership attending the conventions since those are the people most likely to attend them. If you would be interested in hosting the convention please let us know.

Last year was the first year that one of our straw polls coincided with the eventual winner (North Carolina).
http://highpointers.org/?p=83

July 29th, 2005, 5:12 am #2

Michigan 2007 is an ideal place to celebrate the 20th anniversary of the founding of the Highpointers Club, which was founded at <a href=http://americasroof.com/mi.shtml>Mount Arvon</a> by Jack Longacre and a small group of people in the spring of 1987. This wooded hilltop provides an excellent location for a group hike to the summit of a state highpoint. There are many places in the woods of the Upper Peninsula or along the shores of Lake Superior where we could have a group campsite. For more information about potential meeting and banquet facilities, a good place to contact is <a href=http://www.keweenaw.org/>Keweenaw Peninsula Chamber of Commerce</a> in <a href=http://www.cityofhoughton.com/>Houghton</a>, home of <a href=http://www.mtu.edu/>Michigan Tech</a>.

July 29th, 2005, 9:10 pm #3

You provide some good reasons to hold a konvention in Michigan. In addition, Michigan has 3 former state highpoints which folks could visit (Mt. Curwood, Government Peak, Summit Peak). I believe that is the most of any state.

Two questions to ask about Michigan; where would the banquet be held and who would be the host (ideally a local).

These questions should be asked about the other candidate states as well.

I believe that the Brombergs have volunteered to host a convention in WI but I haven't heard about banquet facilities near Timms.

North Dakota would be a very nice place for an "outdoor" convention.

Also, Dave Covill analyzed each state in an article in the recent newsletter.

- John M.

July 29th, 2005, 9:11 pm #4

Michigan 2007 is an ideal place to celebrate the 20th anniversary of the founding of the Highpointers Club, which was founded at <a href=http://americasroof.com/mi.shtml>Mount Arvon</a> by Jack Longacre and a small group of people in the spring of 1987. This wooded hilltop provides an excellent location for a group hike to the summit of a state highpoint. There are many places in the woods of the Upper Peninsula or along the shores of Lake Superior where we could have a group campsite. For more information about potential meeting and banquet facilities, a good place to contact is <a href=http://www.keweenaw.org/>Keweenaw Peninsula Chamber of Commerce</a> in <a href=http://www.cityofhoughton.com/>Houghton</a>, home of <a href=http://www.mtu.edu/>Michigan Tech</a>.
You provide some good reasons to hold a konvention in Michigan. In addition, Michigan has 3 former state highpoints which folks could visit (Mt. Curwood, Government Peak, Summit Peak). I believe that is the most of any state.

Two questions to ask about Michigan; where would the banquet be held and who would be the host (ideally a local).

I believe that the Brombergs have volunteered to host a convention in WI but I haven't heard about banquet facilities near Timms.

- John M.

August 1st, 2005, 7:28 pm #5

- John M.
Might I suggest Wisconsin as an alternative to Michigan? Seems like MI (the original "convention") might better be reserved for a special date, such as the 25th? (I guess that might be out of rotation, but so what?)

Wisconsin has not been done, and summers there are just marvelous (in my humble opinion). I did a quick check on the internet and found lots of lodging in Tomahawk, about 22 miles east of Timms, and a large resort, "The Waters at Minocqua" (about 20 miles north of Tomahawk), which has a huge, fully-enclosed outdoor tent for convention purposes (and a water park for the kids in all of us!). There may be others but I didn't look in detail. Plenty of hiking trails, campgrounds, fishing resorts, etc., all over that area. Great canoeing on the Wolf and Oconto rivers. And, obviously, plenty of county high points in any direction you choose.

I know there is also a cheese factory (with tours) near Timms Hill. And, of course, for those who are interested in other Wisconsin specialties, the famous Point Brewery is only about 45 minutes away in Stevens Point, and the even more famous Leinenkugel's Brewery is two hours away in Chippewa Falls. There are also some local wineries.

And for those of you who seek the Valhalla of Football, LAMBEAU FIELD and the Green Bay Packers Hall of Fame is only about two hours away in Green Bay, which is also the gateway to beautiful Door County, the Cape Cod of the Great Lakes.

I don't know the Brombergs, but I would be happy to help out in hosting a Wisconsin convention. I think it would be a great event. So vote in the survey, and bring your vote to the convention. See ya. JES

PS: I'll also be happy to interpret Wisconsinese for dose o' you what don' know what a "bubbler" is, or dat "boat" is a two-syllable word, and dat ya use it to go after dem big norderns, en so, eh?...

August 1st, 2005, 7:36 pm #6

- John M.
Might I suggest Wisconsin as an alternative to Michigan? Seems like MI (the original "convention") might better be reserved for a special date, such as the 25th? (I guess that might be out of rotation, but so what?)

Wisconsin has not been done, and summers there are just marvelous (in my humble opinion). I did a quick check on the internet and found lots of lodging in Tomahawk, about 22 miles east of Timms, and a large resort, "The Waters at Minocqua" (about 20 miles north of Tomahawk), which has a huge, fully-enclosed outdoor tent for convention purposes (and a water park for the kids in all of us!). There may be others but I didn't look in detail. Plenty of hiking trails, campgrounds, fishing resorts, etc., all over that area. Great canoeing on the Wolf and Oconto rivers. And, obviously, plenty of county high points in any direction you choose.

I know there is also a cheese factory (with tours) near Timms Hill. And, of course, for those who are interested in other Wisconsin specialties, the famous Point Brewery is only about 45 minutes away in Stevens Point, and the even more famous Leinenkugel's Brewery is two hours away in Chippewa Falls. There are also some local wineries.

And for those of you who seek the Valhalla of Football, LAMBEAU FIELD and the Green Bay Packers Hall of Fame is only about two hours away in Green Bay, which is also the gateway to beautiful Door County, the Cape Cod of the Great Lakes.

I don't know the Brombergs, but I would be happy to help out in hosting a Wisconsin convention. I think it would be a great event. So vote in the survey, and bring your vote to the convention. See ya. JES

PS: I'll also be happy to interpret Wisconsinese for dose o' you what don' know what a "bubbler" is, or dat "boat" is a two-syllable word, and dat ya use it to go after dem big norderns, en so, eh?...