so, what is everybody's plans in 2007?

so, what is everybody's plans in 2007?

March 29th, 2007, 2:37 pm #1

As winter winds down and hiking season starts (at least for many of us), I thought it would be cool to see everybody's plans for highpointing in 2007..

I just completed a roadtrip in which I picked up AL, OK, and KS.. which brought me to 27.
I am going to be taking a trip to Boulder in May, and I thought I would make a quick side-trip to Nebraska.. 28.

After that, I'd really like to complete all the states east of the Mississippi this summer - I have three left. I'll do Virginia - 29 - in a Weekend.. it's a 7-8 hour drive down to Mt. Rogers area.. so I'll probably drive down on a Saturday, sleep in the car, bag the highpoint sunday, then drive home.

The next will be New York.. 30.. which I'll probably try to do in a day, just like Rogers.

As a grand finale for the season, I want to to ME - 31 - via the knife edge.

during a trip to California in early to mid-may (where I'll be going to boulder from), a friend invited me to go climb AZ - 32 - with him. I reminded him that there usually still is snow in the area in mid-may, but I didn't know how much - at which point he said that maybe it's not such a good idea after all. I told him we'll assess the conditions and make a decision on the trip at that point.

If I can pull it off and find someone to go with to share gas and driving, I'd like to do one more monster roadtrip this summer - to get MO, IA, MN, ND, and SD - 33 to 37 - in a span of 5 days or so. keep moving, and sleep in shifts..

If all of the above happens, I'll have completed the Northeast and Midwest region, have one state left in the south, and only have one state done in the west.

here's where I'm at right now:

So what are you thinking about?

March 29th, 2007, 4:50 pm #2

I live in Southern New Jersey and have completed NJ, PA, MD, and WV with my 11 & 12 year old sons. Our goal for 2007 is to complete all of the high points east of the Mississippi River as well. Yes, it is a little ambitious considering we only have four under our belts, but definitely possible.

Next week we are departing on our annual "Guys Only Camping & High Pointing Trip" to North Carolina with plans to complete VA, TN, NC, SC, & GA. Depending on how things go we may swing down to get AL when we are in GA and may also hit KY on the way home to NJ. Hopefully with a little luck and cooperation from mother nature we will have completed 11 high points after this trip.

In May we have plans to take a three day weekend to do CT, MA, & NY. I plan on hitting CT & MA on the way up to NY on Friday, camp for the night. Wake up and do NY on Saturday and then return home to NJ on Sunday. I'm also considering an alternate to this plan where we would make this a four day weekend so that instead of heading home on Sunday, we would drive to VT to complete Mt Mansfield, and then head home on Monday.

I'd like to take another long weekend in June to hit RI, NH, and ME, but have not planned that far ahead.

March 29th, 2007, 6:03 pm #3

As winter winds down and hiking season starts (at least for many of us), I thought it would be cool to see everybody's plans for highpointing in 2007..

I just completed a roadtrip in which I picked up AL, OK, and KS.. which brought me to 27.
I am going to be taking a trip to Boulder in May, and I thought I would make a quick side-trip to Nebraska.. 28.

After that, I'd really like to complete all the states east of the Mississippi this summer - I have three left. I'll do Virginia - 29 - in a Weekend.. it's a 7-8 hour drive down to Mt. Rogers area.. so I'll probably drive down on a Saturday, sleep in the car, bag the highpoint sunday, then drive home.

The next will be New York.. 30.. which I'll probably try to do in a day, just like Rogers.

during a trip to California in early to mid-may (where I'll be going to boulder from), a friend invited me to go climb AZ - 32 - with him. I reminded him that there usually still is snow in the area in mid-may, but I didn't know how much - at which point he said that maybe it's not such a good idea after all. I told him we'll assess the conditions and make a decision on the trip at that point.

If I can pull it off and find someone to go with to share gas and driving, I'd like to do one more monster roadtrip this summer - to get MO, IA, MN, ND, and SD - 33 to 37 - in a span of 5 days or so. keep moving, and sleep in shifts..

If all of the above happens, I'll have completed the Northeast and Midwest region, have one state left in the south, and only have one state done in the west.

Maybe NJ next week. Not sure about any states, just have to see what presents itself. Hope to do some COHP with my son this spring and summer. Holding at #21, #22 ???. Hope everybody has a productive year doing something!!

March 29th, 2007, 11:45 pm #4

I'm getting down to the hard ones left with only 5 to go, so this year will be slow as Hood (Memorial Day weekend) and Eagle (during convention) are in the works. In the meantime, I'll be shooting to finish the CO cohp's (4 left) and work on some 13ers.

March 30th, 2007, 2:49 am #5

totally forgot about the convention..

maybe we could get a group to do not only eagle, but also white butte and harney as a sidetrip from the convention..

March 30th, 2007, 2:59 am #6

We got our campsite request at Baxter State Park granted so now we're hoping the weather will be good. We'll be with an old friend whose summitted Katahdin twice, once when completing the AT. So we're glad to be hiking with someone whose done it before. Got plans to go into Canada and hike New Brunswick's highest and PEI's too.

March 30th, 2007, 4:02 am #7

I am planning on hitting up the Dakotas and Nebraska in May, since I'll be in the area for a conference. Then, assuming I make it to the convention, I would like to do a major loop and visit all of those midwestern states. Maybe too ambitious, I guess I'll see. Then finally, I'll be in Utah in late August, so I'll try my luck on Borah.

This is my current status (green is complete):

March 30th, 2007, 12:10 pm #8

I'm getting down to the hard ones left with only 5 to go, so this year will be slow as Hood (Memorial Day weekend) and Eagle (during convention) are in the works. In the meantime, I'll be shooting to finish the CO cohp's (4 left) and work on some 13ers.
Make sure you pick a wide weather window. Have fun, its a great mountain. Long walk uphill.

March 30th, 2007, 5:28 pm #9

I am currently enrolled in Basic Mountaineering with the CMC, so that is consuming all my free time and thought.

Da wife and I are at 25 right now. Hopefully, I will be in St. Louis in September for a conference, and swing down to get Louisiana and Arkansas, if da wife can come along. If not, I will cohp in that area.

Might be able to find time for New Mexico this summer, will save Arizona for Konvention next year. Am skipping Konvention thios year, having been to Wisconsin and planning an extended Mt. Eagle trip at a different time.

I plan to clib all I can in Colorado and get some more cohp's. I have been up Elbert twice, but if anyone is coming out Colorado way, I would be happy to join them on it.

March 30th, 2007, 6:41 pm #10

Due to conflicting schedules, my Dad has opted out of my planned September trip to Boundary, Humphreys and Elbert. But he has expressed interest in doing some Northeast HPs this year. Oddly, though he has 16 HPs, the closest one to home that he's done is Michigan. We live in NY. So we'll see if we can get him to 20 this year. Looks like we're going to hit Jersey in a couple of weeks. If successful, my September trip will put me at 41.