snowmobiling mt.avron and timms hill

snowmobiling mt.avron and timms hill

markvotapek
markvotapek

November 26th, 2000, 6:33 pm #1

long-time "armchair highpointer" here who will be in the vicinity of the MI and WI "peaks" in late December...my weather history searches show almost certain deep snow cover, and i'm wondering if anyone has info or a guess on how feasible it is to find these places (especially Avron) via snowmobile...the person accompanying me has a GPS and professees to be be proficient with it, so i'm assuming if it's reasonably reachable, we'll be able to figure it out???

November 27th, 2000, 3:08 pm #2

You should check with the Baraga Tourist Association. They are very helpful.
906-524-7444

With regards to Timms Hill contact Kathy at High Point Village
715-767-5287

My gut instinct is that Arvon may not be practical but you would have better luck in the Timms Hill vicinity which has big skiing element and where there are many snow mobile stores.

Ken
Ken

November 27th, 2000, 7:56 pm #3

long-time "armchair highpointer" here who will be in the vicinity of the MI and WI "peaks" in late December...my weather history searches show almost certain deep snow cover, and i'm wondering if anyone has info or a guess on how feasible it is to find these places (especially Avron) via snowmobile...the person accompanying me has a GPS and professees to be be proficient with it, so i'm assuming if it's reasonably reachable, we'll be able to figure it out???
Arvon is definitely doable. We hiked it in the snow last spring, so I'm sure you could find it on a snowmobile. Also, many people who signed the register that winter had reached it on snowmobiles.

Not sure about Timm's Hill. It's in a park, which may not allow them. But it's only about 1/4 of a mile in from the road, so you could walk it easily enough if need be.

Garvin Louie
Garvin Louie

November 27th, 2000, 10:16 pm #4

Arvon is definitely doable. When I lived in the Upper Penninsula snowmobiling was THE winter business. Depending on the lake effect snowfall, I think the GPS would be almost a necessity but I have heard that there are many more signs to the highpoint then when I did it 9 years ago.

I agree with Roger and check with the Baraga Tourism office.

roger
roger

January 22nd, 2002, 9:19 pm #5

Shirley Pierce, 49, of Tomahawk was killed Saturday when she was thrown from the sled when it hit something, police said. She and the driver, Todd Devinger, 32, were riding on the Hiawatha Trail in Tomahawk about 7 p.m. Devinger was treated for minor injuries at Sacred Heart Hospital in Tomahawk.
http://www.wausaudailyherald.com/wdhloc ... 7480.shtml

Page on the Hiawatha Trail
http://www.co.lincoln.wi.us/html/hiawat ... trail.html

John M
John M

January 22nd, 2002, 9:35 pm #6

Since your 11.26.01 post, Mt. Arvon has seen two snowmobile expeditions. Articles appeared in a HP Club newsletter. Due to 100 inch snow base, guides broke trail the week before we went there.

In late December 2002, we plan to visit Curwood via sled - - anyone wanna join the fun?

- John M.

roger
roger

February 11th, 2002, 9:27 pm #7

Shirley Pierce, 49, of Tomahawk was killed Saturday when she was thrown from the sled when it hit something, police said. She and the driver, Todd Devinger, 32, were riding on the Hiawatha Trail in Tomahawk about 7 p.m. Devinger was treated for minor injuries at Sacred Heart Hospital in Tomahawk.
http://www.wausaudailyherald.com/wdhloc ... 7480.shtml

Page on the Hiawatha Trail
http://www.co.lincoln.wi.us/html/hiawat ... trail.html
Three snowmobilers missing since Thursday night were found Saturday in fine health but short on gas.

They went missing northeast of Mount Rainier National Park, near where Kittitas, King, Pierce and Yakima counties meet, said Yakima County Sheriff's Sgt. John Durand.

Three recreational snowmobilers came across them near Quartz Mountain in Kittitas county around 11 a.m. Saturday and offered food and water, which they refused. All they said they needed was gas.
Well equipped with avalanche probes and shovels, they built a snow cave and settled in for the night. On Friday, they ran out of hot dogs, but still had buns and mustard. They drank melted snow and spent Friday night in a tree shelter.
Teams from King, Pierce and Yakima counties took part in the search.
http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/577 ... 09ww.shtml