RI purchases Jerimoth Hill from Brown University

RI purchases Jerimoth Hill from Brown University

December 6th, 2011, 3:47 pm #1

Combined with the purchase of the access land a few years ago, it appears guaranteed that access to Jerimoth Hill will never again be an issue for highpointers. Thanks to all from the Club who advocated for this.

http://news.providencejournal.com/break ... t4H5VYTCCs

December 7th, 2011, 12:01 am #2

I last did this "hike". My buddy and I were racing from one HP to the next on a 3 day weekend trying to do 5 in one weekend and we heard you couldn't do Jerimoth Hill after 3pm on Sundays so we were driving like madmen across the state to get there and just made it at 245pm one day.

That madness will no longer exist, making it "too easy" for future HP'ers.

Heck, they can do it anytime they want once this deal gets approved.

December 7th, 2011, 9:40 pm #3

This is great news. I remember thinking almost 20 years ago that it would be great to raise money to buy the highpoint and access to it.

When I kinda, sorta did Jerimoth in January 1993 I had no idea there was an access problem. I got stopped at the top of the driveway by the landowner. I was very polite and asked whether I could walk down his driveway. He said no, there was no way he would allow it. He explained that it had gotten very annoying to him, and that he had decided that no one else would cross his land to go to the highpoint.

He said: "This is ridiculous. My compost heap is higher anyway."

I told him I understood that it was his property and I had to respect his rights. After that, he got friendly. He told me that others were very rude to him when he refused access. He also made a comment about having a gun if necessary. Then he took our picture for us on the front of his driveway.

We were hitting it off well enough that I thought I'd take another shot at getting to the actual highpoint, but he said no way.

December 22nd, 2011, 4:32 am #4

to the Highpoint. Yeeesh...