Questions for any mountain biking highpointers out there

Questions for any mountain biking highpointers out there

Mark S
Mark S

July 9th, 2003, 1:01 am #1

I've just gotten into mountain biking this year and am having a blast. Right now, I'm thinking I want to mountain bike any highpoint that I can. I did the summit road to Spruce Knob a couple of months ago and reclimbed Greylock today via the summit road. I also plan on reclimbing some other highpoints with summit roads in the Northeast this summer.

Thinking ahead to next year, I'm planning my "big trip" to the Carolinas, Tennessee and Georgia ... all of which have summit roads. If anyone has any experience mountain biking any of these summits, I'd love to hear your thoughts as to how tough they were. Spruce Knob and Greylock were both ball-busters and each took me a hair under two hours base to summit. My plan right now is to do Tennessee and North Carolina on the first day and South Carolina and Georgia on the second. How practical is this? Any imput is appreciated.

E. Schlimmer
E. Schlimmer

July 9th, 2003, 1:41 am #2

Hmmm, I like the sound of this. Much better than driving. If you were planning to only use a bike (and not a car), it would be impossible to bike up the NC and TN highpoints in one day, or any other 2 states that I can think of off the top of my head (well, maybe PA and MD). Ive hiked up some auto roads at nite for kicks, and Ive also biked up the Spruce Knob, WV road and biked up MDs highpoint. The road up here, Mount Mitchell NC, can be as hard as you like. There are various start points to choose from- from the Blue Ridge Parkway, from the Information Building, from the restaurant, etc, etc. The auto road up Mount Washington is very hard, and you will have to make it a "black op" since bikes are not allowed but once a year at an annual race. I dont know about the logistics of Mount Mansfield in VT. Mount Marcy of NY is out of the question on a bike, as is Katahdin in ME for legal and terrain issues. RI is a sinch perhaps, and you can bike up the HPs of MD, and PA. MD I found to be the most fun on a mountain bike. You may even be able to bike up Mount Whitney, but again, bikes are not allowed (you could maybe bike up to Outpost Camp if it were allowed). So I am guessing you could ride up NH (black op), mostly to the top of VT, and to the top of PA, MD, TN, NC, WV, MA, GA, SC, RI, and all the other easy ones like, oh, I dont know, Illinois. I like to hear what others suggest. Hope this helps. See ya.

Mark S
Mark S

July 9th, 2003, 2:21 pm #3

No, I wasn't planning on biking the whole distance between the highpoints of NC and Tennessee ... just base to summit. My next two are going to be Connecticut and New Jersey with Vermont as a possibility later in the summer. My wife says RI is out of the question as I already "wasted" one day on this puny hill. I'm also thinking probably no on Mount Washington as it's against the rules and also monstrously steep for biking. But I haven't decided for sure yet.

The idea for this came as a result of the lack of enthusiasm I was able to generate for doing the mostly flat states somewhere down the line. In the fall, I'm thinking of doing Ohio and Indiana and figure I can park ten or fifteen miles away and have a nice little ride to the summits.

Daniel Smith
Daniel Smith

July 9th, 2003, 4:49 pm #4

Mark,

I plan on biking from coast to "summit" when I do Florida either this year or next. Its a century ride round-trip, so maybe we could join up for this. Let me know!

Cheers!

Dan

Mark S
Mark S

July 9th, 2003, 7:01 pm #5

Dan -

Sounds like a lot of fun but Florida definitely isn't in the cards for me this year. Just a time thing. I'm able to break away for 2-3 days about twice a year. If you still haven't gotten to it by late summer or early fall, 2004, I may well be interested. I'll keep your name in mind. Thanks.

- Mark

Bill Havanas
Bill Havanas

July 9th, 2003, 8:21 pm #6

No, I wasn't planning on biking the whole distance between the highpoints of NC and Tennessee ... just base to summit. My next two are going to be Connecticut and New Jersey with Vermont as a possibility later in the summer. My wife says RI is out of the question as I already "wasted" one day on this puny hill. I'm also thinking probably no on Mount Washington as it's against the rules and also monstrously steep for biking. But I haven't decided for sure yet.

The idea for this came as a result of the lack of enthusiasm I was able to generate for doing the mostly flat states somewhere down the line. In the fall, I'm thinking of doing Ohio and Indiana and figure I can park ten or fifteen miles away and have a nice little ride to the summits.
I believe they have a ride up Mt. Washington one time a year where you can legally ride, it's steep and not just for mountain bikes. Also Ohio has a ride called the Top of Ohio done in April that rides to its high point after first doing a hundred miles. If interested in next year check out the Columbus Outdoor Pursuits websit at
http://www.outdoor-pursuits.org/

Bill

Mohamed Ellozy
Mohamed Ellozy

July 9th, 2003, 9:15 pm #7

Mark S
Mark S

July 10th, 2003, 12:53 pm #8

Looks like the grid of 600 has already been filled for this year's race, but I think the seed may have been planted for 2004. Forty nine minutes or some obscene thing was the winning time for last year's race. Wow. 7.6 miles and about 4K elevation gain in under an hour ... that's impressive. Makes me understand that I've got quite a bit of room for improvement, although I think my motivation wouldn't be actually racing but just being able to do it legally without looking like an idiot. Whiteface Mountain in NY also has an annual uphill race that I think is held on the first day of summer.

Mohamed Ellozy
Mohamed Ellozy

July 10th, 2003, 1:33 pm #9

Details can be found at (surprise!!) http://www.whitefacerace.com/

If you do not have the Google Toolbar try it. Instant answers to all your questions.

Ken Akerman
Ken Akerman

July 10th, 2003, 3:15 pm #10

Hmmm, I like the sound of this. Much better than driving. If you were planning to only use a bike (and not a car), it would be impossible to bike up the NC and TN highpoints in one day, or any other 2 states that I can think of off the top of my head (well, maybe PA and MD). Ive hiked up some auto roads at nite for kicks, and Ive also biked up the Spruce Knob, WV road and biked up MDs highpoint. The road up here, Mount Mitchell NC, can be as hard as you like. There are various start points to choose from- from the Blue Ridge Parkway, from the Information Building, from the restaurant, etc, etc. The auto road up Mount Washington is very hard, and you will have to make it a "black op" since bikes are not allowed but once a year at an annual race. I dont know about the logistics of Mount Mansfield in VT. Mount Marcy of NY is out of the question on a bike, as is Katahdin in ME for legal and terrain issues. RI is a sinch perhaps, and you can bike up the HPs of MD, and PA. MD I found to be the most fun on a mountain bike. You may even be able to bike up Mount Whitney, but again, bikes are not allowed (you could maybe bike up to Outpost Camp if it were allowed). So I am guessing you could ride up NH (black op), mostly to the top of VT, and to the top of PA, MD, TN, NC, WV, MA, GA, SC, RI, and all the other easy ones like, oh, I dont know, Illinois. I like to hear what others suggest. Hope this helps. See ya.
I rode my mountain bike up all the way up to the summit of <a href=http://americasroof.com/nd.shtml>White Butte</a>, highest point of North Dakota. It's a good way to avoid the rattlesnakes. I have also ridden my mountain bike much of the way up to the tops of some significant county highpoints, such as the highest points of Santa Barbara and San Luis Obispo Counties in California.

Ken Akerman