Question Re: Illinois Credit

Question Re: Illinois Credit

February 25th, 2010, 6:53 pm #1

Howdy all! Long time, no post!

After a long hiking hiatus due to job / family commitments, I'm finally getting back into my highpointing goals. I'm planning a trip for this weekend to visit (in order) Iowa, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan & Illinois. I have a specific question for the forum regarding claiming credit for Charles Mound.

Since the highpoint of IL is closed all year except for 4 weekends (3 summer, 1 fall), and considering that my specific goal is to make winter ascents of all the highpoints, I'm in a quandary. I've contacted the Wuebbels each winter for the last few years to see if they would be amenable to an off-season visit (considering my goal), but each time my request has been denied.

I definitely want to respect the property-owner wishes, so I'm just planning on making my trip to the end of their driveway as a best-effort. My thought is to claim the summit temporarily unless and until there is a change or heart or change of ownership, kind of like what was done with the previous situation in Rhode Island. The difference, though, is that the elevation of the RI sign was roughly equal to the actual summit elevation; for Charles Mound, it is a few hundred feet different.

Am I totally off-base claiming credit for a winter-ascent being that visiting the driveway is as close to a winter-ascent as one can legally get now? By the way, if the access situation ever did change, I would high-tail it to NW Illinois to visit the actual summit in winter.

Thanks for any advice you can provide!!

Daniel Smith
Ft. Worth, TX
www.txmountaineer.com

February 26th, 2010, 5:45 pm #2

I'd be curious to see what the official response is from the HP Club. IMO, if you succeed in climbing Denali in winter, then you should be given a little leeway with Charles Mound. Good luck!

February 26th, 2010, 7:28 pm #3

For a cautionary tale about the first winter ascent of Denali, Minus 148 Degrees is a great read.

What's more amazing about this tale is that it was done back in the late 1960s, long before much of the high-tech winter gear we have today was even thought of.

February 26th, 2010, 9:33 pm #4

I've read that book. It's a remarkable story and a must read for anyone thinking abut climbing Denali in winter.

February 26th, 2010, 10:23 pm #5

After a long hiking hiatus due to job / family commitments, I'm finally getting back into my highpointing goals. I'm planning a trip for this weekend to visit (in order) Iowa, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan & Illinois. I have a specific question for the forum regarding claiming credit for Charles Mound.

Since the highpoint of IL is closed all year except for 4 weekends (3 summer, 1 fall), and considering that my specific goal is to make winter ascents of all the highpoints, I'm in a quandary. I've contacted the Wuebbels each winter for the last few years to see if they would be amenable to an off-season visit (considering my goal), but each time my request has been denied.

I definitely want to respect the property-owner wishes, so I'm just planning on making my trip to the end of their driveway as a best-effort. My thought is to claim the summit temporarily unless and until there is a change or heart or change of ownership, kind of like what was done with the previous situation in Rhode Island. The difference, though, is that the elevation of the RI sign was roughly equal to the actual summit elevation; for Charles Mound, it is a few hundred feet different.

Am I totally off-base claiming credit for a winter-ascent being that visiting the driveway is as close to a winter-ascent as one can legally get now? By the way, if the access situation ever did change, I would high-tail it to NW Illinois to visit the actual summit in winter.

Daniel Smith
Ft. Worth, TX
www.txmountaineer.com
Now that you mention it. I went on a winter highpointing spree in the midwest awhile back and skipped Illinois at the time figuring I could pick it up later since I go through the area almost every year. That was before ownership changed. Lesson learned, seize every opportunity when it knocks! I still plan on working on my winter ascent count of state highpoints and hopefully one day we will be able to schedule one day of one winter to do a group ascent of Charles Mound. We did allow the sign at the highway across the road at Jerimoth Hill in RI for a number of years due to access issues because it was so close in proximity and elevation. As you know, many folks that claimed the sign have since gone back and touched the actual summit once the area opened up. Personally, I would wait to claim Charles Mound until I could actually stand on the summit if that day ever comes. IMHO of course.

February 28th, 2010, 6:23 pm #6

Daniel Smith
Ft. Worth, TX
www.txmountaineer.com
From time to time, Highpoint owners monitor this forum, so perhaps your interest could generate a one-time allowance for an open access winter date at Charles Mound. This would be totally up to the owners and their schedule.

If Daniel, Stony, Stephen Roy, and others agree to a single group visit of Charles Mound, then a proposed date could be suggested, anytime between the solstice in December and the equinox in March (ie, winter).

Next time I chat with Jean I'll mention this.

At one time, the HP Club Board discussed allowing a visit to the gate to be okay to claim Charles Mound, but that discussion was brief and negative.

The Club's Board promotes responsible visitation, and in exchange, the private owners have accommodated Club members.

Only one peson has visited all 50 in winter (Club member Dave, who's described in Minus 148). Besides Dave, no one has yet visited the Lower 48 in winter.

- Illinois Liaison, John M.

March 3rd, 2010, 6:00 pm #7

I've read that book. It's a remarkable story and a must read for anyone thinking abut climbing Denali in winter.
BTW, reading that book actually got me started on the idea of climbing the highpoints in winter.

March 3rd, 2010, 6:02 pm #8

From time to time, Highpoint owners monitor this forum, so perhaps your interest could generate a one-time allowance for an open access winter date at Charles Mound. This would be totally up to the owners and their schedule.

If Daniel, Stony, Stephen Roy, and others agree to a single group visit of Charles Mound, then a proposed date could be suggested, anytime between the solstice in December and the equinox in March (ie, winter).

Next time I chat with Jean I'll mention this.

At one time, the HP Club Board discussed allowing a visit to the gate to be okay to claim Charles Mound, but that discussion was brief and negative.

The Club's Board promotes responsible visitation, and in exchange, the private owners have accommodated Club members.

Only one peson has visited all 50 in winter (Club member Dave, who's described in Minus 148). Besides Dave, no one has yet visited the Lower 48 in winter.

- Illinois Liaison, John M.
John, and coordination you can offer would be GREATLY appreciated. Like I mentioned in the OP, I definitely don't want to do anything that would disrespect the rights of the property owners.

Thanks!
Daniel

March 3rd, 2010, 6:03 pm #9

any* coordination...

March 5th, 2010, 2:17 am #10

Daniel Smith
Ft. Worth, TX
www.txmountaineer.com
Daniel, I understand your Winter ascent goal but sometimes things are just not meant to be, at least at this time. If you are allowed credit for ascending Charles Mound merely by going to the driveway what about those people who incorrectly come on the wrong dates in the summer. Should they get credit just by going to the end of the driveway like you are asking? Also, what about those people who come up just 100 feet or so short from any summit at any time of the year. Mt.Rainier to the crater edge is not the summit. High points are the high points and not short of that. Hopefully, the owners will approve one Winter ascent date.